What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Searchers -- in High Definition (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
From The Digital Bits regarding THE SEARCHERS...."The rest of this effort is both a new 4K master likely to be used for a physical 4K Ultra HD release in the next 12-24 months," That's ridiculous. Zazlov is probably going to shelve if he can write it off. :angry:
Interesting that Warner Bros. have reversed the straight-to-streaming model, which they introduced during the pandemic, to months and years after a high-profile theatrical release. You know what? I personally think it's positive that people have to go to a cinema to experience a film again, rather than just sitting on their couch and expecting instant gratification (which everyone now takes for granted).

We've been waiting since LaserDisc days for a decent home video release of The Searchers - I can bide another year or so :biggrin:

Last edited:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Interesting that Warner Bros. have reversed the straight-to-streaming model, which they introduced during the pandemic, to months and years after a high-profile theatrical release. You know what? I personally think it's positive that people have to go to a cinema to experience a film again, rather than just sitting on their couch and expecting instant gratification (which everyone now takes for granted).

We've been waiting since LaserDisc days for a decent home video release of The Searchers - I can bide another year or so :biggrin:

It will be great to watch this in theaters but I also doubt that it will be that easy for many of us as it is one thing to watch it in a theater in your town and another thing to only have a few venues playing it in the whole country.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
That’s the problem. It won’t get a wide release. It has yet announced to play anywhere other at the Aero this weekend. It’s one of my favorite films, but I’m losing interest very quickly in wanting to see this restored version.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
There is a positive aspect of a 70mm print for the studio, which is that in order to create the print, a 65mm negative must be recorded out. And that negative is a superb physical asset.

This is the first time I hear that a negative has to be recorded out first, I always thought that it would be possible to record digitally to positive stock. While there will be further generational loss on the way to a film print the negative is of course a big bonus as in recent times it has happened more often than once that purely digital assets were not as safe as they were thought to be. A good old physical asset is therefore a welcome byproduct of the process or as I would call it its number one benefit.

For our members this may be an interesting video here from somebody who visited Cinelab London. They recently seem to have made some changes to their in house film out process and one can also see their ARRI laser in action, looks like a modified ARRI 2:

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
That’s the problem. It won’t get a wide release. It has yet announced to play anywhere other at the Aero this weekend. It’s one of my favorite films, but I’m losing interest very quickly in wanting to see this restored version.
Why? If it isn't playing in 70mm or via a DSP in a repertory theater near you it will eventually come out on a 4k disc. We can't control the timelines. I'm stuck in the South for a bit and can't get to LA so I will just have to wait as well. Recent efforts like GIANT and RIO BRAVO have been revelations and can't to see this masterpiece restored. This is a day/hour one purchase for me and I cannot wait to see it again.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber

The previous regime at Warner Bros. went all-in on HBO Max as the future of the studio. Zaslav rejects that entirely - less because he has any great love of cinema or the theatrical experience, than simply that he wants to dismantle everything his predecessors did in his ultimate goal of breaking apart the company and selling it off in pieces.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
The previous regime at Warner Bros. went all-in on HBO Max as the future of the studio. Zaslav rejects that entirely - less because he has any great love of cinema or the theatrical experience, than simply that he wants to dismantle everything his predecessors did in his ultimate goal of breaking apart the company and selling it off in pieces.
Not exactly.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
From The Digital Bits regarding THE SEARCHERS...."The rest of this effort is both a new 4K master likely to be used for a physical 4K Ultra HD release in the next 12-24 months," That's ridiculous. Zazlov is probably going to shelve if he can write it off. :angry:
That's not a logical take on this situation.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
NORTH BY NORTHWEST has already been announced at the Tribeca Film Festival in 70MM. It is a more famous film snd I have purchased a ticket.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
I thought the older blu-Ray of this disc was just great. Why was this “restored” in a few words for the lost here?
EDIT. I guess good news this film will get a 65mm transfer. Reading more upstream.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thought the older blu-Ray of this disc was just great. Why was this “restored” in a few words for the lost here?
The color scheme was off on the original Blu-ray. It was a mistake that even Warner knew occurred based on a conversation I had with one studio person.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yup, a lot of people have posted in various sites over the years that they thought the Blu-ray looked great. It just looked off to me, the lack of grayscale & those odd flesh-tones - is it true that is was made by combining the b/w separation dupes? Anyway, I'm glad that Warner had a second go at it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Yup, a lot of people have posted in various sites over the years that they thought the Blu-ray looked great. It just looked off to me, the lack of grayscale & those odd flesh-tones - is it true that is was made by combining the b/w separation dupes? Anyway, I'm glad that Warner had a second go at it.
no. Nor was this

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks