What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: 2009 World Series Highlights (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Rich!

The one oddity is that archival material – even material from the 2008 season – has had vertical lines added to give it a “vintage” look. This obviously was a stylistic decision, but an unnecessary one. This is a minor quibble, however.
This is becoming common, weirdly. The most recent example of it I've seen is on the reality show The Biggest Loser where they'll take the footage the contestants sent in of themselves to get on the show and air it to contrast their former selves to the newer, slimmer selves and put fake debris and scratch lines and even drain the color to emphasize the comparative nature of the exercise.

The only reason for baseball fans to hesitate about picking up this DVD is the fact that a Blu-ray version is scheduled to be released on December 15. The Blu-ray reportedly will have the same content, but the high-definition picture (announced as 1080i) will obviously be an improvement over the very good DVD transfer. In addition, the BD will have a 5.1 PCM soundtrack.
I hope fans of both HD and baseball will take heed of this. It's too bad they couldn't get things together for a same day release. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they weren't able to get the BD ready as fast as they could rush the DVD to market.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

I hope fans of both HD and baseball will take heed of this. It's too bad they couldn't get things together for a same day release. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they weren't able to get the BD ready as fast as they could rush the DVD to market.
Mike,

That's probably the case, considering that the World Series ended just three weeks ago!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks