What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Easy Rider (1 Viewer)

James L White

Supporting Actor
Nice review Richard
I love this movie but I'll hold off until the disc can be had for under 20 bucks

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Rich, that's a wonderfully astute evaluation of Easy Rider. I was the target audience (as, I suspect, were you), and even as I was bowled over at the time by the raw power of some of the most famous scenes (mostly ones you've wisely avoided describing), I was troubled by the lack of narrative coherence and the intellectual laziness that accompanied it. It's ironic, but already in 1969, Hopper had managed to foreshadow in a single film almost everything good and everything awful in the coming decade's rebellion against the old Hollywood style of movie-making.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Thanks, Michael. My reaction on seeing it again is that it's a significant artifact of that era, but as a friend commented "It's a road movie which leads nowhere."

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I still find it relevant. Whether it's in big-business, big government, or in everyday life, the credo of "score and disappear" - no matter what the consequences are to those around you - still surrounds us.
Fonda's introspective character realizes in the end that they blew it and squandered their potential, but by then, of course, it's too late.
The youth of the '60s were notoriously critical of what they perceived to be the previous generation's war-mongering, superficial, materialistic ways. Two generations later, where are we and what has happened along the way?

Nice review, Richard. I do miss the laserdisc commentary with Fonda and Hopper (on speakerphone?). It was quite funny, compared to Hopper's solo, dry track on the DVD (and now Blu-ray).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks for the great review and just a note, this excellent BRD can be purchased from Amazon for 20.99 which is a dollar higher than James pricepoint.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks