What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: THE QUICK AND THE DEAD (1 Viewer)

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Quick And The Dead, The

This may not be the greatest western ever filmed but it is not the worst either. The Quick and the Dead is a stylistic, action-packed film that set the stage in many ways for more recent films in this genre like the remake of 3:10 To Yuma. Even if western films are not usually your cup of tea, The Quick and the Dead contains enough originality (in style if not in substance) that it may win over some viewers who would not ordinarily seek out this kind of film. The excellent cast of actors, many of whom would reach greater heights of fame after this film, enhance the entertainment value and make this one film worth seeing.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Thanks, Timothy! Too bad about those opening few minutes, but I'll probably get this anyway, because Hackman's Herod is one of my favorite Western villains.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
As I recall, this film opens with the credits playing over the image. This would explain the image quality issues with those opening few minutes, as the entire sequence would be an optical which is two additional generations removed from the negative, and opticals are prone to having dirt printed in, as well.

Vincent

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I remember from the days I used to do reviews that it
was very common for title sequences to look awful
compared to the rest of the print. Your explanation
as to why, Vincent, was the best description of that
problem I have ever read. I finally know after all these
years why titles usually looked as bad as they did.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben

Thanks, Timothy! Too bad about those opening few minutes, but I'll probably get this anyway, because Hackman's Herod is one of my favorite Western villains.
I agree that Herod is a terrific villain and I think this is one of Hackman's best performances.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Timothy,

Thanks for the review as well as bringing this BR to our attention. (There's another The Quick and the Dead, an English western, so to say, which I want too). But this one will surely be added to my collection!

Cees

Vincent-P

Second Unit
Can someone who has the US Blu-Ray release & has watched it please state for the record whether it is the US theatrical version or the extended European cut? I have heard conflicting reports & would like to know since I am interested in picking this up since Fry's has it for $12.99.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
This is a fun and stylish Western. There seems to have been a short but important love scene cut out between the Lady and Cort. Suddenly he calls her Ellen at one of the last showdowns, and without that love scene it doesn't entirely make sense. It messes with the continuity and even logic of the picture, imho. It's still a good film, and maybe even one of the best Westerns of the 90s, but it could have been better. Apparently the European release has the full version. Is this a case where Stone or the director wanted it cut?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
benbess said:
This is a fun and stylish Western. There seems to have been a short but important love scene cut out between the Lady and Cort. Suddenly he calls her Ellen at one of the last showdowns, and without that love scene it doesn't entirely make sense. It messes with the continuity and even logic of the picture, imho. It's still a good film, and maybe even one of the best Westerns of the 90s, but it could have been better. Apparently the European release has the full version. Is this a case where Stone or the director wanted it cut?
The love scene was taken out by Sam Raimi because he decided it was unnecessary. I don't believe he approved the European release which was about 5 or 6 months after the U.S. release. The U.S. cut is the director's cut. Stone, though listed as a producer, had little to do with the film once it was finished shooting. She was pretty much removed from any production decisions by the other producers. Doug

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

The love scene was taken out by Sam Raimi because he decided it was unnecessary. I don't believe he approved the European release which was about 5 or 6 months after the U.S. release. The U.S. cut is the director's cut. Stone, though listed as a producer, had little to do with the film once it was finished shooting. She was pretty much removed from any production decisions by the other producers.

Doug[/QUOTE]
Doug: Thanks for the info. Do you think he made the right call? It seemed like something was missing to me, and then I looked it up, and sure enough something was there....There are no extras here at all. It was a deal for $6, but now I'm ready for the ultimate directors cut and commentary. Never gonna happen, I know, esp. now that I realize that the director himself somewhat messed up his own movie imho.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
benbess said:
Doug: Thanks for the info. Do you think he made the right call? It seemed like something was missing to me, and then I looked it up, and sure enough something was there....There are no extras here at all. It was a deal for $6, but now I'm ready for the ultimate directors cut and commentary. Never gonna happen, I know, esp. now that I realize that the director himself somewhat messed up his own movie imho.

I really don't know. I saw that movie so many times during the sound mix that I have no perspective on it at all as to how the story flows. I don't think that Raimi himself thinks much of the film so I doubt he will be coming back for a commentary, but you never know. Doug

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Did you help with the sound? Great sound on this film. And a terrific score that I would have sworn was Leone, but it's Silvestri doing an homage to Leone. Very surreal film. Why wouldn't the director like it. Some people clearly worked very hard on this film and got a lot of things really right. And what a cast, even in the minor roles. It's so close to being a really strong film imho that it's a shame that it misses something in the end. Maybe the sex scene wasn't quite right though. Maybe something a little more passionate and repressed. Who knows.

Unrealistic, I know, but it's funny when Hackman's character notices a whole in his shadow....

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
benbess said:
Did you help with the sound? Great sound on this film. And a terrific score that I would have sworn was Leone, but it's Silvestri doing an homage to Leone. Very surreal film. Why wouldn't the director like it. Some people clearly worked very hard on this film and got a lot of things really right. And what a cast, even in the minor roles. It's so close to being a really strong film imho that it's a shame that it misses something in the end. Maybe the sex scene wasn't quite right though. Maybe something a little more passionate and repressed. Who knows.

Unrealistic, I know, but it's funny when Hackman's character notices a whole in his shadow....
No I was a production assistant in post production on this film. Quick and the Dead was a problem film in post production. It was almost a year and a half in post production, and my understanding was that there were a number of battle with Sony on how the film should be cut. Between that and the battle between Stone and the producers, I don't think it was a happy experience for Raimi. Add to that it had a $32 million budget, and only made $18 million, it was the film that many people were saying would be the end of Raimi's carrier in Hollywood. Doug

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I love this film, warts and all. For another take on the problems on-set, check out the chapter in Bruce Campbell's book, If Chins Could Kill. I lost what little respect I had for Sharon Stone after reading that, though I must concede that her performance here is decent.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Stephen_J_H said:
I love this film, warts and all. For another take on the problems on-set, check out the chapter in Bruce Campbell's book, If Chins Could Kill. I lost what little respect I had for Sharon Stone after reading that, though I must concede that her performance here is decent.
Interesting. Any chance you'd give us a little precis?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
One afternoon while watching dailies, a shot came up where Sharon Stone falls off of the horse. Apparently she hurt herself, and as she stood up every 4 letter word you can image came out of her mouth. One of the crew members who had been on the set for the shoot responded by saying, "Yeah thats the Sharon we know and love." There is also the famous story of the crew on King Solomon's Mines taking turns peeing into the water that she was going to spend the afternoon splashing around it as a token of how they felt about her. I really don't know how true that story is, but it is widely known. I will say that I never met Sharon Stone face to face, but when she would call the production office, frequently the producers just didn't want to talk to her, so it was my job to put her off. Every time that I spoke to her, she was very nice, and even having never met me in person, she always remembered my name. Doug

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Douglas Monce said:
One afternoon while watching dailies, a shot came up where Sharon Stone falls off of the horse. Apparently she hurt herself, and as she stood up every 4 letter word you can image came out of her mouth. One of the crew members who had been on the set for the shoot responded by saying, "Yeah thats the Sharon we know and love." There is also the famous story of the crew on King Solomon's Mines taking turns peeing into the water that she was going to spend the afternoon splashing around it as a token of how they felt about her. I really don't know how true that story is, but it is widely known. I will say that I never met Sharon Stone face to face, but when she would call the production office, frequently the producers just didn't want to talk to her, so it was my job to put her off. Every time that I spoke to her, she was very nice, and even having never met me in person, she always remembered my name. Doug
Good stories. Thanks. Well she wouldn't be the first person in Hollywood to be a jerk at times. And she certainly looks very pretty and does a good enough job in the film, imho...The very fact that she co-produced is probably part of what got the movie made.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Just for the record, the UK Blu-Ray is region free and DOES have the love scene in it. The US Blu-Ray is just the US theatrical release version.

IMO the film works better with the sequence in it...but to each his own :)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by Mike_Richardson

Just for the record, the UK Blu-Ray is region free and DOES have the love scene in it. The US Blu-Ray is just the US theatrical release version.

IMO the film works better with the sequence in it...but to each his own :)

Any thoughts on how I might find the UK blu-ray? I guess amazon.uk....How hard is it to get them to ship something to the us? Do you happen to know if it's cheap like the us version?

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
Originally Posted by benbess

Any thoughts on how I might find the UK blu-ray? I guess amazon.uk....How hard is it to get them to ship something to the us? Do you happen to know if it's cheap like the us version?

It's a breeze, just like using Amazon US, in fact you can use your same login as the US Amazon. It's currently 6.57 GBP with VAT, but putting it in my cart, the total with shipping, using their currency converter, and paying in USD, would be $14.63. So while not quite as cheap as inthe US, not bad either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks