What's new

Zowee! SPY KIDS 2 ROCKS! How about the original? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I just finished watching Spy Kids 2 and
I still can't wipe this big fat smile off of
my face.

What a wildly fun movie!

Never saw the first film. Was it as good or better
than the second?

I gotta know! If it is....I'm ordering it!

Watch for the review Wednesday morning. Add this
to your preorder list!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The first film is great. The only reason I haven't bought it is because Rodriguez keeps promising a special edition.

M.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I liked the first better - I thought it was more fun to see the kids start out in a relatively normal place, and then watch the world get weirder. SK2 is insane from start to finish, and doesn't have the build-up of #1.

-Jay, who always has to suppress the urge to bang his head when someone trumpets what he knew seven months earlier because he was willing to leave the living room to see a movie.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
First one is better. The second is fun as a Ray Harryhausen tribute, but lacks the charm of the first.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I just picked up SK1 previously owned from a second hand place for $6. It's one of our favorites, and we don't even have school-age kids (40-somethings). SK2 is absolutely on our buy list -- we liked it as much as the first!

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
The first movie is great. If you can find it cheap (like a Best Buy probably) be sure to snag it.

Rodriguez does promise a SE boxed set of all three movies where the version of SK1 in the set will be the "Special Edition" that was released in theaters before the DVD was released.

Ushabye

Projectionist
Real Name
Paul
I agree, the second is cool, but the first is brilliant! It is strange that a special edition of SK2 is coming out. Rodrieguez had said that he didn't do a special edition for the first one because he wanted to wait till he had finished all three and then release them as a box-set.

What was the final box office on SPK2? I know it wasn't quite the huge success as the first. Perhaps Miramax has insisted on a special edition DVD because of this. Though they both only cost 35 million a piece - cheap by Hollywood standards.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Not only was the first a good movie, but the DVD is absolutely one of the best of the pre-AOTC/FOTR era.

The movie isn't as all out inventive as the second one, but it's a blast as well. I'm a teenager for gosh sakes... the flicks aren't cool, but I just can't help loving what Rodreguiez has done with them.

I hope the positive reaction means that you'll be giving us a full review... especially since it Spy Kids 2 used an updated version of the cameras from AOTC. I'm hoping for a flatout gorgious transfer!

John Geelan

Screenwriter
The first Spy Kids is a classic.

I thought the second while good, wasn't as warm and inventive as the first.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I bought the first, sight unseen at the behest of my daughter. I remember raving about it here on HTF then. I look forward to the second one - at the behest of my daughter, of course:D

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
I seemed to have found this after posting in Ron's review thread. Nevertheless, I'll add in my thoughts here as well:

I found Spy Kids 2 a superior film over the original, but I adored the first film very much. Rodrieguz, working off the success of the first film, creates a fully breathing, three-dimensional world that I just couldn't take my eyes off of. Everything, from the design of the island, the house, the fighting skeletons and the theme park, to the bickering between Carmen and Juni, to the sheer brilliance of casting of Richardo Montalban as Mr. Cortez, is all memorable. But I'm forgetting to mention so many things; the film is endless in its creativity and originality. Easily one of the most visually creative films I've ever seen.

The original is also a lot of fun...a bit rough around the edges at times, and it has a rather goofy climax, but easily worth taking a look at. But I'm still all over The Island of Lost Dreams. :)

Jason

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to break the trend here but i wasn't a fan of either. Too childish for my tastes, but hey...

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'll have to side with most of the other opinions here Ron - I think that Spy Kids is definitely superior to the sequel.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I guess I'm in the minority here but I enjoyed the sequel more. I thought it was a better paced film. I still like 'em both immensely, though. I'd be much more inclined to see the next Spy Kids movie than the next James Bond movie. What does that say about me?

Link Removed

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I haven't gotten around to seeing the sequel, but the original was quite fun.

Jason

Scott Barnhart

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
I liked them both, but I also think the sequel was better than the original. More interesting characters, less silly "floopie" thingies, or whatever they were called.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
I also liked the sequel better. Pure creativity and imagination on every frame. Plus Ricardo Montalban -- did that flying wheelchair come equipped with fine Corinthian leather?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks