What's new

Zoom for Non-Anamorphic content.. (1 Viewer)

Matt Amato

Stunt Coordinator
I'm just about to pull the trigger for the first time and enter the world of Home Theater. I'm set on a Panny 47WX42 and was pretty sure about getting the RP82. However, I hear that niether does zooming for non-anamophic content. I haven't run through my DVD collection yet, but just how common is it now a days for movies to be realeased without 16x9 Tv's in mind. Will I suffer buyers remorse down the line if I buy the RP82? If The vote is that I shouldn't get the 82, does anyone have any suggestions of what DVD player in the same price range would suit my needs?

Thanks,
Matt

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Matt,

The zooming for non-enhanced DVDs has nothing to do with your DVD. It has to be done by the TV set.

Cees

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Don't the new Panasonics have a zoom feature, anyway?

Cees:

A few players (the Panny RP92, for one) do have zoom/scaling features to scale non-anamorphic DVDs to anamorphic. It looks superior to raster expansion.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I thought the RP82 did have a non-anamorphic to anamorphic zoom/scale feature. I could be wrong.

I have a Toshiba 4800 myself. It does have this feature and I use with my Toshiba TW40X81. It is a nice player although it does run a tad warm. If you have marginal ventilation in your equipment rack it might be a problem. Otherwise you might want to check it out. I believe list is $199.

-Keith

Matt Amato

Stunt Coordinator
I purched the Panny TV and RP-82 from OneCall last week and they arrived yesterday. Despite it being advertised on Panasonics website, the RP-82 does not seem to have zoom for non-anamorphic content. However, the TV does does an excellant job at raster zooming and I am perfectly happy with it. :D Most DVD's I own are anamorphic anyway.
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks