Zoom for Non-Anamorphic content..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Amato, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Matt Amato

Matt Amato Stunt Coordinator

I'm just about to pull the trigger for the first time and enter the world of Home Theater. I'm set on a Panny 47WX42 and was pretty sure about getting the RP82. However, I hear that niether does zooming for non-anamophic content. I haven't run through my DVD collection yet, but just how common is it now a days for movies to be realeased without 16x9 Tv's in mind. Will I suffer buyers remorse down the line if I buy the RP82? If The vote is that I shouldn't get the 82, does anyone have any suggestions of what DVD player in the same price range would suit my needs?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Matt,

The zooming for non-enhanced DVDs has nothing to do with your DVD. It has to be done by the TV set.

Cees

3. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Don't the new Panasonics have a zoom feature, anyway?

Cees:

A few players (the Panny RP92, for one) do have zoom/scaling features to scale non-anamorphic DVDs to anamorphic. It looks superior to raster expansion.

4. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    I see. Didn't know that!
    Thanks, Bill!

Cees

5. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    I thought the RP82 did have a non-anamorphic to anamorphic zoom/scale feature. I could be wrong.

I have a Toshiba 4800 myself. It does have this feature and I use with my Toshiba TW40X81. It is a nice player although it does run a tad warm. If you have marginal ventilation in your equipment rack it might be a problem. Otherwise you might want to check it out. I believe list is $199.

-Keith

6. Matt Amato

Matt Amato Stunt Coordinator

I purched the Panny TV and RP-82 from OneCall last week and they arrived yesterday. Despite it being advertised on Panasonics website, the RP-82 does not seem to have zoom for non-anamorphic content. However, the TV does does an excellant job at raster zooming and I am perfectly happy with it. [​IMG] Most DVD's I own are anamorphic anyway.
    Matt