What's new

Incremental zoom and overscan on flat panels (1 Viewer)

Didimos

Auditioning
Real Name
Didimos
I am researching to buy a flat panel high definition display and one of my requirement is to have a some sort of incremental zoom.Don't get me wrong.
I am a strong advocate of OAR.I never intend to watch any movie or whatever video other than the original aspect ratio.But from what I understand incremental zoom might be important in one scenario.window boxed video-non anamorphic letter box DVD(this means window-boxed video on wide screen display) and Criterion's new window boxed DVD(classic academy[4:3] ratio films).

If the TV set has incremental zoom feature

In the case of criterion dvds[some criterion DVDs are window-boxed to compensate for over scan] ,it would be possible to zoom the video without cropping any content.

In the case of non anamorphic DVD,it would be possible to remove the upper-bars and only the side-bars would remain(it would be only pillar-boxed after zooming). Please tell me if there is such thing as incremental zoom in flat-panel displays.

What about enabling over-scan on the display to a certain percentage,say 7% to correct the window boxed criterion DVDs ,do LCDs and plasmas have such a feature.This would solve the problem instead of zooming.

Didimos

Auditioning
Real Name
Didimos
I am researching to buy a flat panel high definition display and one of my requirement is to have a some sort of incremental zoom.Don't get me wrong.
I am a strong advocate of OAR.I never intend to watch any movie or whatever video other than the original aspect ratio.But from what I understand incremental zoom might be important in one scenario.window boxed video-non anamorphic letter box DVD(this means window-boxed video on wide screen display) and Criterion's new window boxed DVD(classic academy[4:3] ratio films).

If the TV set has incremental zoom feature

In the case of criterion dvds[some criterion DVDs are window-boxed to compensate for over scan] ,it would be possible to zoom the video without cropping any content.

In the case of non anamorphic DVD,it would be possible to remove the upper-bars and only the side-bars would remain(it would be only pillar-boxed after zooming). Please tell me if there is such thing as incremental zoom in flat-panel displays.

What about enabling over-scan on the display to a certain percentage,say 7% to correct the window boxed criterion DVDs ,do LCDs and plasmas have such a feature.This would solve the problem instead of zooming.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
most displays have a variety of zoom functions to account for non amorphic material. (or 16 x9 material over a 4x3 signal).

There are some scalers that will allow for variable scaling. There are also a few DVD players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sajidjadoonisbb
Recent bookmarks