What's new

Zenith DVB 318 & LG 7832 DVD Player merged thread (1 Viewer)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Since this thread is dealing with the same issues and exact same reponses as the last Zenith thread, I am going to merge this thread with that one.

Also, the following is a warning that I had to post in another thread, but the same deal applies here too. Let's keep this thread on track and open...

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Since this thread is dealing with the same issues and exact same reponses as the last Zenith thread, I am going to merge this thread with that one.

Also, the following is a warning that I had to post in another thread, but the same deal applies here too. Let's keep this thread on track and open...

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
I just got in the Zenith DVB318, and usually I hook the dvd player up thru the component inputs on my reciever (onkyo TX-SR600). So i'm doing that here and running component lines into the 47" Panny.

Should I connect directly to the TV from the DVD Player, or is it OK to run through the Reciever?

I was switching between the 480p and 1080i on the dvd player and couldn't really notice a difference.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
I just got in the Zenith DVB318, and usually I hook the dvd player up thru the component inputs on my reciever (onkyo TX-SR600). So i'm doing that here and running component lines into the 47" Panny.

Should I connect directly to the TV from the DVD Player, or is it OK to run through the Reciever?

I was switching between the 480p and 1080i on the dvd player and couldn't really notice a difference.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I am a kind of person that likes to avoid middleman whenever possible. You should be able to enjoy it either way, but for the sake of covering all bases, make sure you have that upconverted to 1080i, pick a movie that's pretty new, anamorphic, real nice, etc. and test that both ways.

You should see a darned nice picture.

;)

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I am a kind of person that likes to avoid middleman whenever possible. You should be able to enjoy it either way, but for the sake of covering all bases, make sure you have that upconverted to 1080i, pick a movie that's pretty new, anamorphic, real nice, etc. and test that both ways.

You should see a darned nice picture.

;)

WayneO

Supporting Actor
It may be a pain to switch audio on the receiver and video on the TV, but I'd go straight to the TV. Less cables and less chance of degrading the picture.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
It may be a pain to switch audio on the receiver and video on the TV, but I'd go straight to the TV. Less cables and less chance of degrading the picture.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
And with that, count me as a disappointed buyer sadly. Wasn't expecting miracles with it, but it couldn't even match the pic quality of my Denon 1600 on my 51" RPTV. Both were calibrated, compared various recommended movies, tried DVI and component, etc, etc. Worth the money, yes, but not a giant killer. Those who have it, enjoy, as well as the gentleman I sold it to.

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked one of these up today.(7832) Did a basic calibration with DVE and the picture is just fantastic for a $250cnd dvd player. A noticeable improvement over my $150 prosacn karaoke dvd player and better then my parents 2 year old jvc interlace player. Kill Bill and Lord of The Ring TFTR look great.

This player is a steal for $250cnd. DCDi, DVI and 1080i output through component with good build quality for such a low price.

John-Tompkins

Second Unit

This surprises me. The dvb318 in a direct head to head with my Denon 2200 beat the 2200 for video quality ( via component upscaled to 1080i ) on my 96 " projector.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Don't get me wrong the PQ is a definate improvement over the old player (XBOX).

Its just hard to tell if I'm getting a better signal when its switched to 1080i as opposed to 480p. You have to get up stop the movie switch it and them start it again.

I was watching 50 First Dates last night, Widescreen(Not sure what formate its in) and when I had it switched to 480p it looked fine (Better than the XBOX) and I didn't notice anything wrong with the picture (Some people seem to feel the 480p PQ is bad??) Then switched it to 1080i and am not really sure if I saw a difference. All of this was thru component cables, and thru the Reciever.

Maybe I'm just lucky and don't notice that type of stuff.

But damn I love all the features this thing has. XBOX had crap for features (Probably because its not a real DVD player)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Not me anymore. I'm beginning to think it all depends on the type of display you are using(meaning down to the specifics) as opposed to "if I had an LCD I'd use X dvd player".

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
You can pass through your receiver but... in the Onkyo manual, does it say what the bandwidth of the component connections are for your receiver?

BTW, I am merging this with the main thread where it can be followed up.

PhilWW

Agent
I will suggest connect directly to your TV's 1080i component input. Some receivers do not have enough bandwidth to handle HD signal via component.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Or, more simply, you can just switch the players output to 480p and use the AR controls of your display for 4:3 material. Works like a charm on my Hitachi 57SWX20B, which only locks on full when it receives 1080i (DVI or component).

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Or, more simply, you can just switch the players output to 480p and use the AR controls of your display for 4:3 material. Works like a charm on my Hitachi 57SWX20B, which only locks on full when it receives 1080i (DVI or component).

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
If you have the choice, always connect as directly as you can. I am a real stickler about that...;)

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
If you have the choice, always connect as directly as you can. I am a real stickler about that...;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks