What's new

Yup, UV is still a joke (1 Viewer)

satam55

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ike
Right but he doesn't use Vudu and no matter how much Walmart might want you to believe it is, it is not the heart of Ultraviolet. And as he notes you can't sign up for Vudu without giving them a credit card to keep on file.
You can use your PayPal account instead of using a credit card account.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Wow, I've been away for a long time...

While I have bought physical titles with the ability to download digitals from iTunes, I've resorted to using MKV converters and Handbrake, simply because I also have the ability to encode multiple language tracks (original mono, multiple commentaries, isolated scores, whatever, which downloads rarely give you, even iTunes Extra), for viewing on my computers, tablets, or Apple TV, and chapter markers remain intact, too. I've converted enough material in my own disc library so far for over 30 days of non-stop viewing, and eventual SD conversions of Blu-Ray look almost as sharp as HD iTunes content, without the "outdated" issues brought on by still using Windows Vista. on my primary video storage computer (when some HD content requires Windows 7 + HDCP compliance), and still have only used less than half of a 5TB USB drive.

This also helps with the restrictions for some iTunes content (such as 'Sorcerer') not being available digitally here in Canada, yet the physical media is. This is no different than being able to have physical media playable from various DVD or BD regions...

It's a lot faster than waiting for Blu-Ray discs to load and skipping all the online updated content...

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Yes, but only if it isn't encrypted. Making a copy is legal, but breaking the encryption technically makes it illegal.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
bruceames said:
And yet, that's what the studio advertising wants you to think. That you own it. "Own it on Blu-ray". So can't blame people for thinking they do.

Edit: I see the link was referring to digital ownership, so never mind.
Walmart VUDU indicates you own the files in perpetuity. Ive seen the same wording at conferences during presentations many of which are on the internet and can be reviewed. They better get the EST market right (they will eventually but when??)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
davidmatychuk said:
Yes, streaming is great! I just tried three random titles from my UltraViolet library, and right after the cute "Check the gate" I saw this each time:

Oops! We've encountered an issue streaming this title. Try again later, or visit our FAQs to troubleshoot

Isn't that great?

Oh yeah, just fan-bloody-tastic! :P

Incidentally, THE WIZARD OF OZ 75th Anniversary Limited Edition set that I received from Amazon Canada this past week includes the following information on the bottom of its slipcover backing: ULTRAVIOLET OFFER: MUST ENTER REDEMPTION CODE BY 10/1/15 TO REDEEM OFFER. (The preceding original text was actually capitalized and in bold lettering!)

While personally, I'm fine with the physical media version, why do video companies deem it necessary to slap a stupid expiration date for redeeming Digital Copies? I say, if its included within the contents, there should bloody well be NO expiration date! After all, to paraphrase Tom Hanks from A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN - "Expiring? There's no expiring with physical media?" There shouldn't be any expiring with Digital Copies, either! Not an opinion, A FACT!

CHEERS! :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think the reason for the expiration date is just to protect themselves in the future in case they don't end up supporting this technology until the end of time. Or if in the future they switch to a different method of redeeming titles. They're covering themselves printing an expiration date on the coupon so that if in ten years they're not supporting whatever that redemption method is, they won't get sued.

In my experience, every code I've ever gotten has come with an expiration date two years from the street date of the disc. I should also note that I've redeemed at least a handful of codes past their expiration date and they all still worked.

Once I received a code that didn't work. I simply emailed the customer support listed on the coupon, they asked me to forward them a copy of my receipt, and then gave me a new code.

I would definitely try using it if you haven't already, it's probably fine. And if it's not, email them.

dvdclon

Second Unit
Real Name
David
davidmatychuk said:
Yes, streaming is great! I just tried three random titles from my UltraViolet library, and right after the cute "Check the gate" I saw this each time:

Oops! We've encountered an issue streaming this title. Try again later, or visit our FAQs to troubleshoot

Isn't that great?
So, issue or issue not a streaming fan now? :)

Personally, until recently I had never watched anything on Vudu, despite redeeming every code I've gotten. I got a couple of Blu-rays recently that had no subtitles, but their Vudu versions did, so I watched 'em there. No problems, but kinda unexpected.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Just a minute ago on Flixster:

badpopcorn-massive-50176424f3afbb5cdc30bbc82746654b.png

We'll be back soon

We're currently undergoing some maintenance and will be back shortly.

Please try again soon.
Help/FAQ Visit our help center to contact us.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Josh Steinberg said:
I should also note that I've redeemed at least a handful of codes past their expiration date and they all still worked.
Yeah, I've redeemed some codes that were supposedly expired for more than a year and they still worked. I don't know if how strictly a date is enforced varies by company but it's definitely worth trying a code past its expiration date.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ybmsmoke107
Recent bookmarks