What's new

Your 'TOP 5' albums of all time. (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
My top 5, not including compilations or boxsets (rats!), and in no order, I love them all equally.

Ween - The Pod

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

Nine Inch Nails - Downward Spiral

Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin

The Who - Live At Leeds (deluxe edition of the complete concert, that's my cheat) ;)

----------

The other 5:

Neil Young - Tonights The Night

Liz Phair - Exile In Guyville

White Stripes - Elephant

Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street

Tom Waits - Bone Machine

Many of these I'm just sold on the artists and could listen to any of the albums at any time. The Beach Boys excepted, they lose me after Smiley Smile/Wild Honey ha ha.

And while not appearing in my top ten, I'd gladly take a Beatle album if I had too. I've listened to them so much I've kind of taken them for granted!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I disagree that Five is too difficult. 20 would have me tearing my hair out, but five I can do fairly easily, surprisingly.

Genesis - "Wind and Wuthering"

Probably my favorite band of all time. W&W gets just a slight nod over "Trick of the Tail", "Selling England by the Pound" and believe it or not, "Duke".

Elton John - "Tumbleweed Connection"

Again, a slight nod over "Madman Across the Water". Those two could have been a double album.

Peter Gabriel - "IV" (aka, "Security")

For a lot of people. Floyd's DSotM is maybe the most revolutionary rock album of all time (yeah, or "Brain Salad Surgery" or "In the Court of the Crimson King" or "Close to the Edge", etc) for me it is "Security". Genesis was better without him, but both Genesis and PG reign supreme.

Pink Floyd - "The Final Cut"

Seriously, listen to it. Read the lyrics. To me, this is probably the greatest concept album of all time. Yep, better than Quadrophenia, DSotM, and so on.

Electric Light Orchestra - "Out of the Blue"

In the end, I will probably take this to the grave as my #1 of all time. ELO is kind of like Tchaikovsky. I loved it as a teen. Outgrew it as a young adult. Now I love it again, probably more than ever. It's easy to pass ELO off as "Pop", which it is, but it is also some of the most creative and involving music ever written, and it is just stinking FUN. I recently acquired remasters of the entire ELO studio catalog and "Out of the Blue" is particularly stunning, plus no album brings a smile to my face like this one.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I should probably listen to some ELO. Which versions to get? There seems to be disagreement on different remasters. . .

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think the 2007 remaster of Out of the Blue sounds incredible. Otherwise, I have all the current remasters. I'm not positive, but I think the versions of I and II are the current British ones, Eldorado is the newest US and I also got the Original Album Classics set from the UK. I even finally got Secret Messages and Balance of Power (which I still haven't listened to yet). I know there have been complaints, particularly about I and II, but they sound good to me.

AlexChaplin

Auditioning
Real Name
AlexChaplin
I like many more ...

Ramones: Rocket To Russia
Alan Parsons: I Robot
The Police: Synchronicity
U2: The Joshua Tree
Rolling Stones - Some Girls

Greetings

David Hobbes

Stunt Coordinator
Permanent Waves - Rush Physical Grafitti - Led Zeppelin Circa - Mary's Danish Black Sheets of Rain - Bob Mould Honey I'm Homely - Dance Hall Crashers

Marshall W. Carter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marshall W. Carter
Walk Among Us - The Misfits (tough to choose this or Static Age) Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell - Social Distortion Bad Brains - Bad Brains Cause for Alarm - Agnostic Front Raw Power - The Stooges

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
John, your list is interesting.

I find myself listening to The Final Cut more these days, but it's always seemed to me a personal statement by Roger Waters. If anything, it feels like Waters' first solo album, albeit being played by his backup band, Pink Floyd, minus Richard Wright. The longer version of the album is more interesting - but I've come to understand that much of the album is made up of pieces that were considered for The Wall.

I agree with you on Out of the Blue, obviously. It starts with a heck of a first side of four, and the third side "Concerto for a Rainy Day" is really great stuff. I still remember spinning this one as two records where you stack the two LPs with sides 1/4 and 2/3, and then flip 'em over when they're played through.

Peter Gabriel is a perennial for me, even in his current orchestral phase. I picked So, but just as easily could have picked Security or "Melting Face". Us initially didn't click with me until a year after its release when it fell into place. Up was just a welcome addition when it finally arrived. Ovo and Big Blue Ball have been great examples of his collaborations, with some really intersting results.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Kevin, A friend brought "The Final Cut" over for a listen the day it was released. I guess I was maybe 18 and didn't really grasp it, but about 20 years later it really started making a lot of sense. I guess it's not the greatest sign that I have grown to relate to Waters' attitude toward so many things. It really is his first solo album and The Wall certainly touched on a lot of the same topics somewhere in the middle. Still, with all the darkness in The Wall, it is softball compared to The Final Cut. Yep, I used to listen to Out of the Blue on LP the same way. It sucked having that interruption.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
JohnRice said:
Still, with all the darkness in The Wall, it is softball compared to The Final Cut.
Back in the day I used to refer to The Final Cut as "The Roger Waters Feel-Bad Band." :)

paulTgee

Grip
Real Name
Paul
OK, maybe I caught this late. I've more or less stayed with these for a few years (well, since Zep's newest live one came out) 1. Frank Sinatra/Count Basie "Live at the Sands" 2. Grand Funk Railroad Live (the first one) 3. Sarah McLachlan "Mirrorball, The Complete Concert" 4. Rubber Soul 5. Led Zeppelin "How the West Was Won"

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Marshall W. Carter said:
Walk Among Us - The Misfits (tough to choose this or Static Age) Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell - Social Distortion Bad Brains - Bad Brains Cause for Alarm - Agnostic Front Raw Power - The Stooges
That is one BADASS list. Everyone of them are great.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Here's my shot at it. 1. Faith No More - Angel Dust 2. Talking Heads - Remain in Light 3. Tool - Aenema 4. Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss 5. Clutch - Clutch It was very hard to trim the following: Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here Beastie Boys - Paul's Botique Fantomas - Amenaza El Mundo Peter Gabriel - III Radiohead - The Bends Primus - Sailing the Seas of Cheese

TommyJD

Stunt Coordinator
Pink Floyd-Animals Led Zeppelin-IV Jethro Tull-Thick As A Brick Neil Young-After The Goldrush The Clash-London Calling

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks