What's new

Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays (2 Viewers)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Sorry you're so tired of hearing that I have no problems. But I have several 100 Kino discs and never had a problem.
so I guess it never happens then, right? Lucky YOU...me neither, but for all of us that don't have scratched discs, apparently others have to deal with it, right?
A little sympathy goes a long way...they are collectors as well, and they too want the very best that they can find for THIER collections, right? Give them a break and lighten up a bit ;)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Not really in this case. It doesn't remove scratches.
---------------
...but it DOES give empathy to those that DO have scratches, right?
The compnies take care of the discs, as collectors we can sympathise...we've all had bad discs before, and know the headachs this situation can bring!!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
so I guess it never happens then, right? Lucky YOU...me neither, but for all of us that don't have scratched discs, apparently others have to deal with it, right?
A little sympathy goes a long way...they are collectors as well, and they too want the very best that they can find for THIER collections, right? Give them a break and lighten up a bit ;)
The gentleman gave me a snarky response to my original post. I’m sorry he has so many problems.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That would depend on Willy's location. KL doesn't ship outside of North America.

Good point. IF @willyTass isn't actually in NA himself and just importing from NA, I wonder if the potential shipping issue (I previously suspected/asked about) isn't somehow compounded some more. He never actually addressed my question about that though... nor has he provided any info about his location -- and for whatever reasons, he doesn't allow any such info, including his profile in general, to be visible on HTF.

IF he would actually like some help on this issue, not just complain to no useful end, it'd be helpful to provide more/clearer info me thinks...

_Man_

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Good point. IF @willyTass isn't actually in NA himself and just importing from NA, I wonder if the potential shipping issue (I previously suspected/asked about) isn't somehow compounded some more. He never actually addressed my question about that though... nor has he provided any info about his location -- and for whatever reasons, he doesn't allow any such info, including his profile in general, to be visible on HTF.

IF he would actually like some help on this issue, not just complain to no useful end, it'd be helpful to provide more/clearer info me thinks...

_Man_
Not sure where i live makes a difference for a DISC arriving scratched ???. DIsc not the case . Australia is where i live. I buy from amazon new sealed discs so its nothing to do with the shipping method .

whether they arrive encased in titanium shields or amazon paper bags the problem originates in the factory pressing the discs . I have mentioned twice before its discs that arrived scratched . I dont care about slips and cases getting damaged as i throw out all my slips. Scratched discs have been going on for about 2 years out of technicolor mexico as reported extensively on reddit and bluray/com. I note Imprint has now moved manufacturing of blu rays to mexico from technicolor sydney so its a race to the bottom

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if I'm alone in this but when I open a new disc I put it in the player and don't look at the playing surface so I wouldn't know if it's scratched or not. As long as it plays - and every KL disc I have plays perfectly - then that's all I care about.
I take a glance and see if there is some dust or a serious scratch but it seems like some people in this thread are breaking out a microscope and having a panic attack if there's even a minute scuff that has zero effect on playback. It's their money and time but as long as it's playing and there's no major scratch, I've got better things to worry about in life.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I’ve not had any scratched or damaged discs from Kino Lorber of the ones I’ve opened and watched, but I’ve got plenty yet to get to, and am inclined now to open them just to check. I’ve seen too many complaints here and elsewhere to presume it isn’t happening. My understanding is 4K disc scratches would be a bigger worry due to sensitivity of precision required in playing the discs. As long as the disc is within the return window it’s not a huge deal, but I’ve got discs more than a year old I’ve not checked, so now that becomes an issue.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I’ve not had any scratched or damaged discs from Kino Lorber of the ones I’ve opened and watched, but I’ve got plenty yet to get to, and am inclined now to open them just to check. I’ve seen too many complaints here and elsewhere to presume it isn’t happening. My understanding is 4K disc scratches would be a bigger worry due to sensitivity of precision required in playing the discs. As long as the disc is within the return window it’s not a huge deal, but I’ve got discs more than a year old I’ve not checked, so now that becomes an issue.
Before I stopped buying discs only time I had any bad disc from KINO 1 and WB 1 was when the mailman threw it over the fence and the discs were scratched!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Not sure where i live makes a difference for a DISC arriving scratched ???. DIsc not the case . Australia is where i live. I buy from amazon new sealed discs so its nothing to do with the shipping method .

whether they arrive encased in titanium shields or amazon paper bags the problem originates in the factory pressing the discs . I have mentioned twice before its discs that arrived scratched . I dont care about slips and cases getting damaged as i throw out all my slips. Scratched discs have been going on for about 2 years out of technicolor mexico as reported extensively on reddit and bluray/com. I note Imprint has now moved manufacturing of blu rays to mexico from technicolor sydney so its a race to the bottom

It matters... because (rather poor/sloppy) shipping (and flimsiness of packaging for shipment) can yield discs that are dislodged from case hubs, etc leading to scratched discs. And yes, the farther (and longer) packages have to travel and change hands, etc, the more likely shipping problems can occur. And Australia is basically about as far as one can get from North America... and maybe the shippers between North America and Australia are also not doing their jobs so well -- I don't really know, but that seems plausible enough given none of us seems to have heard of this problem (being frequent/rampant) at all over here in NA, except many of us are indeed aware that shippers are often very sloppy/careless while Amazon and some others do often use rather flimsy packaging.

We do sometimes run into shipping problems though, but we usually recognize that as such, not blame it on the Mexican disc manufacturing itself. We also sometimes complain about certain types of disc cases/packaging that are more susceptible to damaging discs too, but that's different from what you're claiming.

And still, you're not making clear whether discs are loose inside the packaging or not, which is largely what I asked as well. If they're loose inside, then of course, they can easily get scratched. But if they're indeed loose, why would they be loose? Sometimes, it might be poor packaging design (by the studio/distributer) or handling (by the Mexican plant or someone else). But I find it's usually/probably shipping and handling at what points before reaching me... in the fairly small number cases I've come across -- and that's why I always check for loose discs even w/out removing shrinkwrap, etc.

_Man_

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I just received KL's new Blu of A Raw Wind in Eden. Between this and An Unguarded Moment which I also received recently, I'm now convinced that Esther Williams was the most gorgeous woman working in Hollywood of that era (entirely subjective, but good God almighty, what an exquisite specimen!). Rosanna Podesta is a welcome bonus. Decent but not exceptional transfers on both films. But I've also never seen either film before, so thank you dearly, Kino-Lorber!

This weekend, I have the new KL Blus of Warning Shot and Sergeant Ryker coming from Amazon! Yahoo!

My own two cents...I own plenty KL Blus, and have thankfully never had any scratched or otherwise unplayable discs from them.

Last edited:

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
I find it helpful when members chime in to share that they have not experienced the same problem being reported by others - especially when their experience is based on a significant volume of purchases.

I don’t take that as refuting the existence of the issue, but presenting information that can help others gauge for themselves the prevalence of the issue.

In that spirit I just looked up my catalogue and it turns out I have 165 KL Blu-ray discs in my collection, and a further three in transit.

I’ve also not experienced a scratched / faulty disc yet of those I’ve opened / played - although a few dozen sit unopened in shrink-wrap.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I take a glance and see if there is some dust or a serious scratch but it seems like some people in this thread are breaking out a microscope and having a panic attack if there's even a minute scuff that has zero effect on playback. It's their money and time but as long as it's playing and there's no major scratch, I've got better things to worry about in life.
I guess you’re going to ignore my last post about stopping comments towards each other. Therefore, post deletions and thread bans are my next course of action.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
KINO's White Woman - If I Were King and Sorrowful Jones all got very good reviews on dvd beaver looking forward to RAH's thoughts on them too!
That’s good news, Bob. The first two you named are among the three I said were in transit to me. The third Blu-ray winging its way is A Raw Wind in Eden.

My daughter and I are particularly eager to receive our Blu-ray upgrade to If I Were King, as we are inordinately enthusiastic Ronald Colman fans, and also love Basil Rathbone’s delightfully uncharacteristic performance in this film.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
That’s good news, Bob. The first two you named are among the three I said were in transit to me. The third Blu-ray winging its way is A Raw Wind in Eden.

My daughter and I are particularly eager to receive our Blu-ray upgrade to If I Were King, as we are inordinately enthusiastic Ronald Colman fans, and also love Basil Rathbone’s delightfully uncharacteristic performance in this film.
Coleman GREAT actor left the worlds stage too soon -- Rathbone - never a bad performance all of his Holmes films are a hoot and then he could play a heavy in Adv Of Robin Hood = David Copperfield and Captain Blood! Thanks to KINO for releasing more Rathbone! RIO looks good too coming soon from KINO!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've had a few scratched Blu-rays. I have one Kino Blu-ray that doesn't play on my Oppo players, but does so on my Panny 820 player. I know several people had issues with the same Blu-ray title. Kino stated they can't find any issues with this particular title despite some people exchanging their Blu-rays with Kino.

1676052410311.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks