What's new

YOUR OPINIONS NEEDED: Best sub $10,000 projector (1 Viewer)

ToddKidder

Auditioning
I am building a home theater in a new home. Fortunately I will have the space needed. The room will be 22' x 37'. Ceiling will be 11 ft. The material is all LOG wall construction.

The only unwanted light source would be a fireplace (only used on occasion and will be back away from the screen along one wall).

The room will have two rows of seating. I can place the seating as far back as needed pretty much. The front row will be 3-4 lazy chairs, and the rear row will be a very long couch raised for easy viewing whilst laying. There will be drapes installed along one wall and perhaps along the opposite wall as well. In the rear will be a full bar with microwave, refridgerator, and popcorn machine (if anyone knows a good source for one of these let me know). The hi fi equipment will all be housed in a room behind the screen that will have a door to enter and will have fans and be well ventilated (sound proofed).

I will post a link to the floorplan of the theater.

I am looking for a sub $10,000 projector.

I am also looking for a screen, furniture, etc..

I currently have a Harmon Kardon 5 channel amp PA5800, a Kenwood 150 watt per channel two channel amp (THX). A Sherwood Newcastle R-725. I also have a Denon ADV2000 decoder. I would like to upgrade to a 7.1 and use my existing seperates if you think they will have enough presence in the size room. I would very much look forward to just having to purchase (darn), a new OUTLAW receiver (always wanted one). :)

I am also looking at speakers. I always liked the POLK CS1000 center.... but alas they are no longer available. So any suggestions here are appreciated. I want to spend around $5,0000 for the entire speaker set. I currently have the BIC venturi center speaker (the original, not the revised edition), a Wharfdale ZALDEK center speaker, a pair of the old MACH twos, and some cheap surrounds. I always like a bargain, and have considered the ZALDEK surrounds (made pretty well inside). However, I am likely going to end up purchasing a matched set after I try my mix matched speakers to see how they sound.

Anyway... any and all input is very greatly appreciated. You seem to have quite a nice forum here, and I have found it helpful.

Thanks much.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Todd, you should check Avsforum.com. They have a section for projectors Over $3,500. And check the reviews at Projectorcentral.com

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
This may sound like a relatively easy question to answer, but the possible answers for "best" depend on what you mean.

For me, "best" is picture quality, period. And I mean *just* picture quality. And for this, CRT is the place to be, far superior value than any digitals under 10K.

If you don't want a CRT, and you're not bothered by rainbows, then IMO an HD2+ DLP is the place to be looking, but seeing as you can get an LC 9inch CRT for probably under 10K, it's not a fair fight at all. The HD2+ will look nice on it's own, but not compared to a 9incher.

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator
with a budget that big for a projector you have alot of options my friend, I really havent looked into projectors of that price range so I cant help yah much, But make sure you post some pictures of your theater when its done!!! Good Luck projector hunting

ToddKidder

Auditioning
Thanks for the input.

I am a bit of a novice with the new components out there.
I will research the "9inch CRT". I was not aware that they were far superior in picture quality. Are you sure that these can be had for sub $10,000 and get a good unit? Please let me know your pick of 9" CRT.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions, I appreciate any and all input.

ToddKidder

Auditioning
I think I understand. The digital era is here.... however the CRT has a better picture. Perhaps not unlike the 35mm camera vs the digital cameras (although they are becoming quite comperable).

I guess at this point I need to read into the advantages of digital.

If anyone has some actual products worth looking at, please do post the model/brands.

I am currently looking at the Infocus and the Marantz projectors.

Thanks again,

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator
I have a freind that is looking at High End projectors for his theater in his new house which is still under construction, With a Dodge Viper and A Ferrari 360 in his garage he can buy just about whatever he wants, He has told me about a Brand called RUNCO that he is going with, He has seen 2 theaters, one of them at one of his customers homes in Dallas, I know that the cost of the theater in Dallas as a whole was around 70,000 and that also had a RUNCO projector, I dont know what the model numbers are for sure but he said the image quality was as good as his brand new plasma screen, the projected image size If I remember him correctly was around 130" Try RUNCO CL-710 in a google search, I did a quick read up and it said it is supposed to surpass CRT Picture with its new technology, but I cant vouch for that, Just what I read. the price was around 8,000, Hope this Helps

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Travis: I will only be blunt because this is your friend, and not you, so you won't take it personally, but:

great, he's rich, found a high-end dealer who wants to sell him a Runco, and thinks it's the greatest thing on earth, because he doesn't have the time to spend (don't blame him) to know any better.

Not a legitimate reason for understanding good video to help make a very informed decision for others.

I believe the 710 is an older generation HD2 chip, not a newer HD2+ chip. Further, Runco is a solid brand, but they do not manufacture their own projectors. Many people, as I'm sure your friend does, values the service and backing that Runco provides, but you can purchase the identical projectors from the OEM manufacturer for cheaper, but without the same level of installation, calibration, service support, etc.

But me, having seen many many projectors, will flat out tell you that with current technology, an HD2 unit is not goign to equal high-end CRT. Not gonna happen, sorry.

There are only three categories of digitals that approach or reach the performance 8 or 9 inch LC, color corrected CRTs, IMO. HD2+ units, and 3-chippers will come close to 8inchers, IMO. the 3-chip DLPs start at about $30K. Above this, is the LCOS stuff, the Sony Qualia and JVC HD2K which are both also at $30K, but in my opinion are a big step up from the DLPs that are only 720p. These two LCOS are 1080p, and while they have lower on/off CR, IMO the superior pixel packing and resolution make these the first projectors I've ever seen that hit that smoothness and natural feel of a CRT projector.

Runco, until very recently I believe, also sold CRTs, but at new prices or $30-60K.

Used prices are much much lower.

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator
dude dont worry im very hard to offend anyway, I dont know that it was a 710 he was lookin at, thats just a model number I found online, I seem to remember him sayin something about 3 chip, does runco make one of these? if so that may be what the Dallas guy had, I tried to go to runco's website and its down, anyone know anything about that as far as runco not making their own projectors, who is the OEM that makes them, I would be interested in lookin at them.

ToddKidder

Auditioning
What would you guys say to a Infocus 7500 or the Marantz VP-12S3 DLP? I don't trust BenQ. Wish I could afford more than $10,000 but not gonna do it (yea right).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks