What's new

Your current GAS list? (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Patrick Sun said:
Do the pouches allow for the CF card's plastic case to also slip inside each card pouch? For some reason, I'm weirded out by CF cards alone in each pouch. :)
I never use those plastic cases. My cards are just stored in the card pockets of my Lowepro backpack and I have never experienced an issue.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Just throw 'em in with a load of laundry, they'll do fine. ;)

Cards with cases will fit into the slots vertically, but it bulks up the wallet really fast, so I doubt you'd be able to fold up the wallet if all the slots are filled. I think at most you'd get away with two rows before the wallet becomes unfoldable.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm ok with that. I've had my Sandisk Extreme's run over by a firetruck and left in the mud overnight at a fire and worked fine. If you wanna add extra cases go for it but I'm fine without =)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Do any of you use a wide gamut monitor? Something is wrong with my main monitor and the gamut has been dropping for about the last year. The sRGB gamut is down to about 80%, and it's supposed to be at least 99%, and over 95% RGB. So, I'm probably needing a new one.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I just ran a new calibration, the first since July last year. sRGB has dropped from 85% to 79% and RGB has dropped from 78% to 59%, so this thing is clearly dying. My other monitor (I use 2) is still 100% sRGB. It's not a wide gamut monitor. No wonder I've been tearing my hair out when I'm working on images.

The monitor that's dying is a Dell 1210. I want another 24" 1920x1200 monitor. I'm considering an Asus PA249Q.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think it might be time for a proper macro lens. The EF-S 60mm f/2.8 makes the most sense.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have thought about a macro lens for quite awhile, too, Cameron. In my case, I was leaning towards one of the Canon EF 100mm options, since I could use it with either my full frame or crop body. I have heard good things about the EF-S 60mm, though, if you are only concerned about a crop body. It certainly is an attractive price, too.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've been toying with an old Nikkor manual focus 55mm macro, but it has its functional limitations (e.g. having to open up the aperture to focus and requiring an LCD loupe to help focus through live view). I could probably continue with it, but there's something to be said about having a lens that doesn't require special methods to make work.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Cameron, I highly recommend looking at the Tamron 60mm f/2 Macro. It's a much newer lens, has internal focus and it's razor sharp. The extra stop of light makes a noticeable difference with focusing. I got one LN- used from KEH for $300. It's a awesome little lens.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW, I keep seeing people complain about macro lenses hunting for focus and claiming it's a flaw. All AF macros lenses get confused about which way to go to find focus, because of the outrageous focus range. This usually only happens with large changes in subject distance, and once you expect and know how to work with it, they work just fine.

It's really the camera not knowing which way to move the focus with extreme changes in subject distance, not the lens.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Do any of you use a wide gamut monitor? Something is wrong with my main monitor and the gamut has been dropping for about the last year. The sRGB gamut is down to about 80%, and it's supposed to be at least 99%, and over 95% RGB. So, I'm probably needing a new one.

Have you decided on a replacement?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Have you decided on a replacement?

I haven't thought about it much since my post. I've been wrapped up in other things. With the RGB gamut currently dropping to 59% I obviously can't use the Dell for critical image work anymore. I was planning on an Asus PA249Q, but it's been out a while and I wondered if a new model is coming. I think that Asus and the current Dell are the only choices in my price range.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Cameron, I highly recommend looking at the Tamron 60mm f/2 Macro. It's a much newer lens, has internal focus and it's razor sharp. The extra stop of light makes a noticeable difference with focusing. I got one LN- used from KEH for $300. It's a awesome little lens.
I got a used one for cheap on eBay. It took forever (16 days) to get here because of the USPS, but come to learn there's a focusing incompatibility with Canon D bodies where it will hunt for focus (chattering away as it does) and never lock on. I have a query into Tamron if there's a fix for the "Tamron lens phenomenon." If I have to go with manual focus exclusively that's probably fine, since I doubt I'll use it for non-macro stuff. But then it also would have been nice to have the option...

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, that sucks. Sorry. It works great on both my D200 and D7100.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I can't complain about the optical quality, as you said, and it helps that I got it for a good price. If I sell it off to KEH, I'd probably just write it off as the cost of a long term rental (assuming there are no other issues).

I have T3i that I can try it on as well, to see if it's truly a D body issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks