What's new

You have $1800, what speakers would you buy to listen to Pink Floyd & Zepplin? (1 Viewer)

Joe Bauman

Stunt Coordinator
If you had $1800 to purchase a pair of floor standing speakers to listen to Pink Floyd, Zepplin, & Alice in Chains, what would you buy? Room is 20 x 15.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
How about Paradigm Studio 100s. I would guess the laminate finish is no problem at US $1800, don't know if the wood veneers can be had at that price.

I suspect you might get some votes for B&W CDMs (7's, I guess), but I'm not partial to these at all.

I also suspect that Def Tech 2002TLs would be around the same price, but I liked the Studios better for music than the DTs.

I am assuming no subwoofer and no center/surrounds with which you need to match them.

Oh, I just remembered, your selection may be sensitive to the type and level of amplification available to you. For example, like everyone else seems to say, I have found (via auditioning) that the Studio 100s are at their best with lots of clean power. Of course, you may find that with most any speaker in your price range.

Also, I do not believe any of these speakers are overkill for your room size.

Doug

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
$1800 American?? Wow! Well, for that kind of music, nothing will be better then Klipsch RF7's. Go have a liston, I think you may be impressed. MAKE SURE THEY ARE HOOKED UP TO A GOOD FRONT END!

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Treat yourself to some ML Aerius i or SL3 speakers. You should be able to find them for $1800 or less on eBay. They may not be the most rockin' speakers but I sure do love 'em. I'd trade my Maggies in for them in a heartbeat.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I'd get a pair of old Altec 604 or 605 studio monitors (these are REAL monitors, not marketing term monitors) and hear the music somewhat like it sounded in the studio, about 75% of recording studios were using these in the 1970s. These speakers are capable of prodigious output with very low distortion and crystal clarity, VERY few speakers at any price sound better. Very efficient too, about 100db1w1m, 30 watts will level the house. A nice set should go for under $2000 on Ebay.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
No, not paradigm. Well, not for rock music. You need horns!! Old Altec, JBL, Klipsch, horn loaded speakers rock. Klipsch once had speakers with drivers all horn loaded!

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
I don't mean to intrude on the topic, but what exactly are the sonic properties of horns, and why are they better for rock music?

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Well, since I can't stand Zepplin, I would probably spend the money on something else. Sorry, couldn't resist.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
I guess you have never been to a rock concert? Horns are the way to go. Even if it's just the tweeter. Have a liston. I think you would like it. (Less harsh then most rock concerts.)

Mike Main

Stunt Coordinator
The Klipsch will sound good with rock music. Nice and loud. Paradigms are also bright and loud for rock music. But its personal preference. I bought the 7NTs, I listen to rock, rap, classical, and whatever else moves me. I found these to be best to my ear and am extremely happy. But any who spends $1000+ will be happy with what they bought cause they took time and listened to everything before they bought 'em.

Mike

ps Right on Rodney

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know how useful my comments will be... but here's my advice.

Classic rock (to my ear) can be a little harsh. and unless there's been some major remastering, sometimes the recording quality is less than pristine.

I'd look for a dynamic speaker (so it can rock as loud as you want) that is slightly 'forgiving' or 'laid-back' in character.

This will ensure that your ears won't bleed when your crank up your favourite tunes... my 2 cents.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I'm gonna throw out a DIY option. If you have access to some tools you could build an incredible system for $1800.
I'd get a pair of ACI Jaguar kits and match them with an EBS or Adire allignment vented Tempest from Adire Audio.
Jaguar kit is $750
http://www.subwoofers.com/HomeAud/Kits/j2/j2.asp
Tempest will run you $142
http://www.adireaudio.com/cd/tempest.htm
Then here is a good amp for the Tempest, just make sure you get the boost down from 6dB at 30hz to 1dB at 25hz ($130)
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...=9388&CATID=43
I'm not sure how good the Jaguars will be for rock (having only a 85dB/W/m sensitivity). But a good 150-200W per channel amp should get them up over 100dB which is as loud as you should be listening to them anyway. Even that for any period of time would be dangerous to your hearing.
Another DIY option would be a pair of Adire Kit281 speakers , $340 for the kit, you build the enclosure.
A couple non DIY suggestions would be to second the Klipsch RF5 or 7 suggestion. Or these guys will sell you a finished transmission line kit281 with a great wood finish for $1300:
http://www.diycable.com/281_tl.htm

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Another vote for Klipsch,I just have the $650 a pair SF-2 and "The Wall" sounds awsome,cd or dvd.Klipsch are also great for h-t use,that was my main concern but I was very pleased with their music reproduction.Get a good(any) SVs and you will never look back!

Marc H

Second Unit
I'd suggest also considering Axiom's M80TiSe, especially if you like concert level reproduction. They are excellent at those levels, staying open and unfatiguing.

The titanium tweeters are wonderfully smooth and the aluminum woofers are tight and fast.

Doug Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Joe - If you're open to used, listen to a pair of Klipsch Chorus I or Chorus II, or even Forte I or Forte II. They have been out of production about 5-10 years, but sold for over $1000-$1500 when they were new. You can find them used for $500-700. These bad boys were made for rock and roll, LOUD and clean. And you won't need a Krell amp to drive them -- they'll peel the paint off the walls with 60 wpc (98-101 db/w/m efficient) -- just make sure it's clean power. Plus, your room is big enough to easily handle them (I have my Chorus in a 10x11 room and it works fine).
Doug
Edit: (can someone tell me where I can set the font size so it's not so big?)

Lin Park

Second Unit
Check out the Vandersteen 2ce Signature series. Great dynamic speakers for the price.

Lin

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Dustin concerning the Jaguars! These are speakers that used to sell for $5K that are now $750 in kit form. Even if you had to find someone to build the cabinets for you they would be a steal! I helped a friend build these are they are truly great. They are a little laid back but I think this makes them more compatible with all types of music. Also, I was able to get plenty of output from them with my Sherwood Newcastle R-945MKII receiver.

And the sub Dustin mentioned building would kill just about anything out there as well!

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks