What's new

You have $1800, what speakers would you buy to listen to Pink Floyd & Zepplin? (1 Viewer)

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
Doug's right. Mabey you could find some old klipsch. They would probibly be the very best for rock music.

toooo bad I have never had a chance to here any..

Still, if you buy new, klipsch is prob' the way to go. Dont't just go on what people here say. Liston with your ears! Mabey you will like the paradigms more? who knows.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Eric---Good horns are capable of higher output than direct-radiators, they also have less distortion, better damping and are far more efficient, my DIY Altec-JBL horn system has an efficiency of 106db 1w1m, this means it plays as loud with 1 watt as the average direct-radiator does with 100, that means LOTS of dynamic headroom. Sonically this means that horn dynamics have a hair-trigger quality and that horns have an effortless quality and sound good at volumes at which direct-radiators have long since given-up the ghost to distortion and compression. The low distortion also gives excellent clarity, clarity only matched by electrostatics and ribbons, types which cannot match the dynamics and output of horns however. Like other types of speakers the quality of horns varies; cheap ones are usually bad, "real" Klipsches (KHorn, Cornwall, LaScala, Heresy and Chorus) are pretty good and Altec-Lansings and JBLs are the best. (IMO of course). Good horns are expensive, a new JBL 1" throat compression driver to cover the range from 500-20,000 hz , costs about $300 discounted, more than all the drivers in most pairs of box speakers, and you still need a horn to attach to the driver, that will run another $100-$300. Most often such driver-horns are combined with very high-quality, high efficiency 15" woofers in BIG boxes, such woofers are also very expensive. For instance a JBL 2226 15" driver costs about $330, discounted.

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
Ok well I will jump in here and support the Klipsch faction. The new RF-7's have some great "slam" factor that the Zep will love. If you like a live active type of sound then Klipsch are a good way to go. I have a "classic" Klipsch HT with horn drivers and it rocks. The boxes are big but so is the sound. Still I would suggest that you give them a listen.

Laters,

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
Klipsch RF-7s, go for it! I have the RF-3s right now but will be trading up within a weeks time...can't wait, though the RF-3s I now have sound Great!

G2

DanaA

Screenwriter
All right Chad!!! Now you've done it. Because of you, I listened to The Wall tonight on my Klipsch/Hsu set up and REALLY liked it. Why am I soooooooooooo mad??? Because I only owned the aforementioned and Dark Side of the Moon. Soooooooooooooo, I had to send a family member out to get Pipers at the Gates of Dawn and Wish You Were Here, both sonic masterpieces. Why am I soooooooooooo mad you ask??? Well, it was soooooooooo good that I might listen again. I'm an older guy who needs his beauty rest. What am I going to answer tomorrow when people ask, "Why ain't you soooooooooo beautiful?" What?????????? So Joe, listen to Chad and at least give Klipsch a listen if you like this here Rock and Roll stuff.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Some of the old JBL's would be classics for the classics.......... L100, L150, L300, 4311, etc.

When I bought my L100 in 1978, we auditioned all kinds and brands of speakers at home during parties and Pink Floyd and Zepplin were the main music used for testing....

DanaA

Screenwriter
Chad, I made it...barely. Now I gotta listen to Led Zepplin tonight. At least it's the weekend.

Mike Witt

Stunt Coordinator
If you are really going to spend $1800 on speakers I suggest you take your favorite Pink Floyd and Zepplin software out to some audio shops and listen to speakers for yourself. I would hate to spend $1800 on speakers that were suggested here and find out I didn't like them. $1800 is a pretty fair amount if you are just talking a stereo pair of speakers. That price opens you up to a pretty wide range of choices. Good luck!

Joe Bauman

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all of the input. I'm going out today to listen to some speakers with some Zepplin, Floyd, Ozzy, and ... the Cranberrys. They all have some unique sonic qualities I'd like to review on various speakers.

Glad to see that I have awoken the Floyd beast in some.

OK Klipsh fans, now you have got me curious. Someone did weigh in on the upside of horns, efficiency and dynamic range, low distortion. What are the areas in which direct radiators excell vs horns? I assume there are some or we would see more horn based designs on the market. My current speakers are Sonus Faber Concerto Homes with an SVS sub.

Thanks

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
Larry,

direct radiators are able to be, well mabey a little bit smoother. And less bright with cheep components. Some like direct radiators way more then horns.

------------------------------------------

I like the newer klipsch because I feel that it gives the best of both worlds. Anyways, it seems to me that BIG old horns need very high end front end. $10,000 worth of gear will make a Khorn sound better then anything else apparently. However, not everyone has that kind of money.

What are you going to be driving these $1800 speakers with?

Joe Bauman

Stunt Coordinator
So I went out with my Zepplin & Floyd cds and listened to a few speakers. Here is what I found.

Zepplin on Martin Logans ($3000 model) powered by a Rotel 1095 amp & Rotel pre sounded very clear and detailed but had a very sharp edge on Plants voice. It could be tough to take after a song or two. These speakers seem like they would be great for jazz or something of the sort.

Zepplin on Paradigm 100's with a rotel receiver sounded fairly good as well but much different as far as clear and detailed. A cross between the Logans and Paradigms seem like that would be great.

At home, I actually have the Paradigm 60's powered by a receiver but was looking for better sound. I ended up leaving the store with a Rotel 1080 (200 x 2)instead of speakers. As soon as I connected the amp to the receiver, which is now servering as a preamp, and played my first cut, I could immediatly tell the difference. It has only been one day now but I may acutally keep the 60's now.

Floyd sounds good everywhere!

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Larry---Direct-radiators give you deeper bass in a smaller box then basshorns, even most hornies use direct-radiating high-efficiency 15" woofers in boxes that are small compared to basshorns. I use 4 JBL 2226 prosound woofers to cover from 100hz down to 25hz, though the 2 boxes total 16 cubic feet this is miniature compared to the size of a basshorn that would be flat to 25hz. From 100hz up my rig is hornloaded, this can be done with reaonably sized enclosures, still very large but reasonable. Other than that DRs have no performance advantages over compression drivers on horns, provided proper horns that minimize mouth reflections back down the horn are used. DRs do have practical advantages in being much smaller and much cheaper, thus commercial speaker builders use them and make a virtue of neccesity. And some people certainly prefer the sound of DRs, Boses for instance are very popular.

Arron H

Second Unit
I agree with Mike Witt. Take your Zeppelin and Floyd CDs to your local dealer and try them with ALL of the speakers listed as possible choices on this post. Let your ears decide what you like best.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
Larry, the advantage-THEY DON'T hurt your ears. Seriously, everytime I go to a dealer and see a pair of Klipsch they try and tell me that they have gotten better over the years, yet I listen and have to either turn them way down or OFF. My ears can't deal with it. I was walking out of 1 sound room when a salesman was demoing them for someone else, I left the room with "bitter beer face" and another salesman walking by says "I know, I don't understand it either, I don't get why people actually like those". (this is not a slam, just what I have observed). Can you Klipsch people tell me if you have ever experienced this?? It has happened to me on a half dozen times with different equipt (this is not a flame, just an honest Q).

Having said that, If you like the way a LIVE rock concert sounds (which I don't, I like a studio recording much better)-GO FOR KLIPSCH!!

I would say go and listen for yourself, as you can see, everybody thinks that what they have sounds best and they all sound totally different (Klipsch, Planars, Vandeys, B&W, Paradigm-this is the full range of different sonic characteristics).

btw, If you end up liking the Vandys, I got a pair for sale if you'd like (I can't listen to them since I got my B&Ws)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks