What's new

Yes- "Fragile" DVD-A Oct 15th. (1 Viewer)

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator
Just saw on the Yes site that Fragile is coming to DVD-A in October.

"A DVD-A version of Fragile is scheduled to be released by Rhino on October
15. It will also include "America", a Yes "Timeline" of the band's history through
Fragile, and an on-screen photo gallery from the collection of Roger and
Martyn Dean."

Can't wait!!

MichaelAW

Second Unit
It'll be neat to see "mountains come out of the sky and stand there" while listening to Anderson sing the same.

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Hopefully they won't make a mess of this classic! I.O.W. no vocals coming from the surrounds, I'm used to seeing the vocalist/s in front of me.:)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Frank, I wouldn't mind having vocals from the surrounds during We Have Heaven. There are 5 or so vocal parts on that track. They could do some interesting things with it.

NP: Yes, 90125

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator
Looking forward to seeing them tonight. I've never seen Wakeman w/yes, so I'm excited. The only drag is that it's at an outdoor venue and it's been very hot and humid in St. Louis. It will be worth it to see the classic line-up.;)

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Grrr. I just purchased the remastered redbook version a couple of months back. OTOH, I haven't purchased a DVD-A player yet.

Doug

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Hopefully they won't make a mess of this classic! I.O.W. no vocals coming from the surrounds, I'm used to seeing the vocalist/s in front of me.
Which instruments are you used to seeing behind you? If you want what you are used to, then be happy for the advanced resolution 2-channel mix. :)
Regards,

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Which instruments are you used to seeing behind you?
None. That's not the point of a surround mix. When you go to the movies and hear a surround mix, what part of the movie screen do you see behind you? None. But whizzing bullets "flying by" your head or a rattling of overhead pipes in a submarine add to your enjoyment and imagination.
Same thing in music. Most mixers are not trying to beat you over the head with so-called gimmicky instruments or voices in the surround channels. They are just asking you to experience your favorite records in a different way, a more personal way, if you will. Sit in the middle of the room and close your eyes with a good surround mix. It can be pretty mind blowing.
If Yes has committed to DVD-A, how far behind can Pink Floyd be? Personally, these are some bands that I couldn't wait to hear in surround, let alone the lossless compression of MLP! Bring 'em on!
Roundabout, Long Distance Runaround, Heart of the Sunrise, yeah baby, I'm there :emoji_thumbsup:

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Are Tacet's DVD-A surround mixes considered "gimmicky?" They are quite experimental and varied, often treating all the speakers the same.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'd be very dissapointed if this surround mix wasn't extremely aggressive. The instrumental arrangement of Yes really allows for a serious spread of audio around the room.
Actually, Frank, I wouldn't mind having vocals from the surrounds during We Have Heaven. There are 5 or so vocal parts on that track. They could do some interesting things with it.
Like the Prophet's Song on Queen's "A Night At The Opera".:) Yes! Bring it on! And an advanced resolution stereo track also. My LP of this isn't one of my best sounding records and I've never bought a CD. A perfect candidate for my DVD-A collection! :)
NP: The Seventy-Sevens: "Late"

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Which instruments are you used to seeing behind you?
Not to open a can of worms but I guess the idea is because we can't see instruments back there, then the music shouldn't be there. If it is, then it must be a gimmick.

First time I went to Avery Fisher Hall in NYC was in 75' to see Gordon Lightfoot, who was in top form. The place was designed to be acoustically correct (whatever that means) and even though the stage was in front of me, the concert was all around me. I wouldn't have the balls to walk up to the designers of that place and suggest they created a gimmick, instead, when I hear surround sound music, I think back to that great concert.

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
because we can't see music back there, then there shouldn't be....
Hmmm,

When we spin LP's, CD's, or whatever, when was the last time you saw ANYTHING? On audio-only discs our eyes are out of the picture. Unfortunately, due to MTV and concert videos, many of us still think of audio from a visual standpoint. We're not intended to see anything, so if somebody wants to put an instrument or voices in a surround channel, I say, "Why the hell not?"

I want to just mention briefly the work that AIX Records is doing on their DVD-A's. They base their discs on live sessions, sometimes where musicians are assembled in the round facing each other. These songs are recorded, mixed and mastered digitally in 96khz/24 bit and truley take the format to it's potential. If you still have doubts about surround sound or dvd-a, you owe it to yourself to check out one of these discs.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor

I have "Nitty Gritty Surround" and "Patrice Rushen Piano, Bass & Drums" and both of these disc are incredible examples of what DVD-A is all about. The surround tracks are awesome. I can't understand people that knock multi channel music but then look for the best imaging out of 2 speakers. Why not use all 4,5, or 6 speakers ( or whatever your system consists of)? The argument that at a live show you don't have speakers behind you is valid - if your in the audience. But what if you were to be lucky enough to sit on stage, in the middle of the band, with amps behind and to the sides and the monitors in front.

Man I can think of countless shows that I would have paid big bucks to be sitting right there on stage, in the middle of the band. I think AIX comes very close to reproducing that experience. I'd like to see some bigger acts get with Dr. Waldrep and make some beautiful music together.

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
I've spoken to Mark Waldrep a few times on the phone and said the same thing. My most recent idea was to get the band Chicago in for a session and Mark thought it was a cool idea too. Ah, but it's a lot easier said than done.
Nitty Gritty surround is the subject of an upcoming review I'll have up on the HTF homepage in the coming weeks.

DT

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks