What's new

Yes fans... (1 Viewer)

Brian O

Second Unit
I just got done listening to the Yes CD, Union from 1991. I hadnt heard this in a very long time. I had forgotten how much I liked it.
I kept thinking how well their material would translate into multi-channel mixes. Anyone know of any future possibilies of this happening?
------------------

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Brian, that is the one of the most incredible albums I have ever listened to. I bought it in the spring of '91. My first Yes album. It wasn't Lift Me Up that made me purchase it although I really liked the song. I heard "without hope you cannot start the day" and I knew I had to get it. Jon Anderson's vocals really shine and I knew I would dig the sound.
Quite a good sounding disc too. Union is my all time fav Yes album and a great release, especially after the dreadful Big Generator disc. Oh yaeh I have the Lift me up single although I don't think its really the single. I found it at a pawn shop and it has 3 versions of of Lift me Up. It says that the disc is for "promo use only" and "not for sale". What ever that means. Perhaps it was meant for DJs?
I hear theres a DVD done on Union but its only found in Japan. Definately a must get if possible. I'll have to check more on this....
------------------
you lose it here and your in a world of hurt...

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
There is a Japanese region 2 NTSC DVD which is the 1991 Union tour. It is very very good, wich a PCM stereo track. (there may be a DD5.1 track I can't remember) I saw Yes in this concert so the DVD has some sentimental value to me.
------------------
Philip Hamm
Pat's the best!™
AIM: PhilBiker
click on the little green house to see the evolution of my home theater!

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Union... definitely my favorite Yes disc, and definitely one of my top 10 CDs of all time (and I've been collecting CDs for 15 years and have probably 300-400 of 'em!)
A SACD of this one would be way cool.
wink.gif

KJP

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator
They have a new disc coming out soon that will be released on cd as well as dvd-a. Sorry, the title escapes me. I do know that they have an orchestra with them now on tour instead of a keyboard player, and they recorded that way too.
Check out the live dvd from their concert at the House of Blues. It's a great 5.1 mix. Performance is pretty good too.
I'm hoping since Warner supports dvd-a and most of their albums were w/Atlantic, they release the Yes catalog on dvd-a.
On a side note, I had the opportunity a few years ago to hang out w/the drummer Allan White. Drove him around in my car even! He's a very nice guy. My wife and I got to go back stage before the show and hang out. When we got to meet Jon Anderson, he promptly began hitting on my wife!! I thought it was funny. Makes for a good story anyway.
Check out their website at www.yesworld.com
Chris
[Edited last by Chris Madalena on September 21, 2001 at 01:55 PM]

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I'm surprised at all the praise for Union. Every other review I read was negative and I've never met anyone who like it. I myself think it's weak and disjointed. There are even parts where they use a studio guitarist. But, hey, whatever floats your boats.
To me, all of Yes' good stuff has been released in one lump from 1971-1977: Yes Album, Fragile, Close to the Edge, Topographic Oceans, Relayer, Going for the One, and the two double live albums of the 70s.
I saw them live a few times recently. They were, of course, fantastic, but they just don't seem like they have anything new to say.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I know most Yes fans are mostly into the 70s stuff and strangely enough i'm not. I don't mind it but its not their 70s stuff that got me hooked.
Mike, you use the term disjointed. I find that interesting just because thats the last thing I would call it. So many time changes and it works so well. Interestingly when I first purchased it and listened to Angor Wat I had a classmate try to interput some of the lyrics. He was from Cambodia and said it was "traditional" Cambodian language. He couldn't truely understand what was being said and so neither could I. Too bad.
------------------
you lose it here and your in a world of hurt...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks