What's new

Yentl On DVD (1 Viewer)

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
MGM Home Entertainment will release Yentl on DVD in the UK on July 11th 2005. The DVD will be priced at £15.99 and will not include any extra features.

For those curious about the US release:

Barbra has been working on the Yentl Special Edition DVD for about 5 years. It will include extra features including a recently recorded audio commentary. The 'print' will also be higher quality than used in the home video. Clearer. There is still no release date on this DVD, but it's thought it will be released early 2006, possibly later this year.
soruce Barbra News

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
It's a shame the UK version won't have the commentary. If it's already done, why not put it on the disc? Of course, Barbra gives the worst commentaries I've ever heard, so it's probably not a big loss, but still...

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
More details for the eventual release in region one: Yentl - Nearly complete. Will contain many extras including

NEW color corrected print, deleted scenes, behind scenes footage, directors commentary! COMING 2005/2006 source Barbra News

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
Streisand is a perfectionist. I’ll only assume she does not change her mind too much on the Godfather-esque palette the home video incarnations had difficulty translating.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Barbra is a perfectionist, but that is because so many people around her are not (just look at the multiple attempts to get The Prince of Tides released properly on laserdisc.)

Maybe the tide will turn, and we will get a few more special editions headed our way.

- Steve

Howard S

Stunt Coordinator
I just followed the link to BarbraNews given above and found that conflicting information is now present on the website.

One page says:

"Yentl is still being editied, and will be released in 2006 with tons of extras including interviews and commentary!"

and another:

"Yentl...is currently on hold. MGM did hold the rights to this DVD, but now Sony Home Video will release it. Barbra recorded audio commentary in 2004, and a color-corrected film will be released."

Looks like I may have to settle for the Release 2 version to get this DVD anytime soon! Here's hoping that this DVD will contain the 'color-corrected' transfer...and not some re-hash of an older transfer.

I really hope that they've re-mastered the soundtrack. Whenever I've seen this film on television, I've always thought that the musical numbers sound really muddy, and not very well recorded. Even my CD of the soundtrack doesn't sound too clear. Anyone else think the same?
Quite a lot of echo has been used on some of the songs, and I was wondering if this might be the cause of the problem.

Howard S

Stunt Coordinator
Have just read on Barbranews that the UK DVD release of Yentl, planned for next week, has been delayed indefinitely - click here for details. Although MGM's website is still listing the DVD for release in July, it also lists the DVD as 4:3 and Mono - so I wouldn't have made a purchase anyway.

What on earth are MGM thinking - releasing a DVD in 4:3 and Mono!?

Let's hope that the Region 1 DVD doesn't suffer the same fate!

Chris Parham

Stunt Coordinator
What is up with this title? I am looking into taking the plunge and buying a region free player to watch this film (among others) in my HT.
Unfortunately, there seems to be conflicting info from other regions with respect to the aspect ratio and sound formats of the discs.
Should I buy from another region, thus ensuring that an R1 disc is announced for immediate sale? If so, which region should I buy. Has anyone purchased this title from another region? Info on the transfer would be appreciated.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

Please do. I don't want to wait too much longer!

Actually, given that Fox has just taken over distribution of the MGM/UA titles from Sony, I think this will be on a MUCH faster track now. And given Fox's transfers lately (the R&H musicals excepted) we should see a very worthwhile release and a beautiful transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks