What's new

Yamaha vs. H/K vs. Pioneer (1 Viewer)

Alfonso

Agent
Between these three models, wich one would you guys chose?

-----Yamaha RX-V440-----
- new model
- 6.1, dts-es, DD-EX
- EISA award
- High current amplification
- 65W x 6

-----Harman/Kardon AVR 125-----
- very hard to find (here in Portugal)
- 192KHz/24 bits DAC
- 45W x 5 (I am aware of their mesuring method)

-----Pioneer VSX-D512-----
- new model
- 80W x 5
- no high current amplification (?)

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I usually tell alot of people I know to stay away from the lower-end Yamaha's unless they can find a VERY good deal on them which is rare... there methods of rating there amplification are false.

I would say go for the HK AVR-125 if you can get your hands on it, you won't be dissapointed in it.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
(I am aware of their mesuring method)
Thats the only understand you need. "False or bogus measuring" seems to be a word used when we don't understand how a device is measured.

I am a long time user of Yamaha..... so of course I'd go with the Yam.....

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Yes Donny but the lower-end Yamaha's are rated with the highest power that can be given at 1KHz, which in the case of this Yamaha reciever he is looking at would by 65Watts, but then factor in you're playing more than just a 1KHz signal, your playing from 20Hz-20KHz, and the amount of power ends up being about 35Watts per channel.

That is why I like Harman/Kardon so much. They rate there recievers the proper way. HK will rate there recievers at 45Watts per channel and they will deliver a little bit MORE than 45Watts usually.

I would look at HK unless you can get into the $500+ range when the ratings are more accurate...

Alfonso

Agent
The european version is actually 65W!!!!! I sure would like to know why!? Anyway I auditioned it today and got a serious headache at -20db. 65W may not be much but it's more than I'll need.
I really can´t find the H/K 125, and the others H/K models I can find are about 600$.
As for the Pioneer I read they are good for HT and since I won't be using it for music, it might be a good choice. It cost the same as the Yamaha.
The Yamaha did sound a bit bright but I'm leaning towards it because of the EISA award. Could someone informe me about its review in "What Hi-fi"?
Thanks for all the replies so far!

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well most people tend to stay away from that "bright" sound Yamaha puts out because it does get annoying after some time to certain people.

If you like the reciever then by all means go for it, Yamaha does make a product that will last. Pioneer is a good choice but most people seem to like there high-end recievers better than the low-end (I've never personally tried one).

If you can get the HK AVR-125 it ia steal and it's one of the best out there IMO, if not the Yamaha would be my choice for a runner-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks