Best Receiver to use as Pre/Pro

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Minesh Patel, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Minesh Patel

Minesh Patel Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking to upgrade my entire HT when we move into our new house. Speakers will probably be the Axiom M60 6.1 HT package, with either an SVS or Hsu sub. Room is 14 1/2 x 23 x 9, open on the long side to the living room.

I've been considering the following

Yamaha v1400 or 2400
    Pioneer Elite 53TX or 55TXi
    Denon 3803
    H/K 525 or 430
    vs.
    Anthem AVR20

I intend to power the system with either 2 Earthquake Cinenova Grande 3 channel amps, or a comparable 6 or 7 channel amp, such as an ATI, Outlaw, or Sherbourne, etc.

Of the receivers listed above, will any of them compare to the Anthem, or more specifically, is it worth the extra $$$$ to upgrade to the Anthem.

2. Ted Pugh

Ted Pugh Stunt Coordinator

Minesh,

I would upgrade to a pre/pro like Anthem, B&K Ref. 50, Aragon, Krell or Parasound to name just a few. You will already own the amps and the pre/pros will give you better flexibility. I am sorta in the same boat but I am using my 4802 as a pre/pro but looking to upgrade to full seperates.

3. Minesh Patel

So are you recommending I start with the receiver (as pre/pro) then upgrade to standalone unit, or just bite the bullet & buy the dedicated unit to begin with?

At this point I own nothing I want to use in my new HT room except for my Dish 6000 receiver.

4. John Robert

John Robert Stunt Coordinator

5. Minesh Patel

6. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Minesh,

7. Minesh Patel

Michael,

Thanks for the heads up. What's the reliability of the Anthems, and are 3rd party warrantees available?

The savings on buying used vs. new is around $800, which would cover a lot of out-of-pocket repair costs.

Sonically & feature wise, which is the better product?

Also, are there any websites or links that show a comparison chart for various processors & their features? Crutchfield has something for receivers, but more & more I'm leaning to the dedicated pre/pro route.