What's new

Best Receiver to use as Pre/Pro (1 Viewer)

Minesh Patel

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking to upgrade my entire HT when we move into our new house. Speakers will probably be the Axiom M60 6.1 HT package, with either an SVS or Hsu sub. Room is 14 1/2 x 23 x 9, open on the long side to the living room.

I've been considering the following

Yamaha v1400 or 2400
Pioneer Elite 53TX or 55TXi
Denon 3803
H/K 525 or 430
vs.
Anthem AVR20

I intend to power the system with either 2 Earthquake Cinenova Grande 3 channel amps, or a comparable 6 or 7 channel amp, such as an ATI, Outlaw, or Sherbourne, etc.

Of the receivers listed above, will any of them compare to the Anthem, or more specifically, is it worth the extra $$$$ to upgrade to the Anthem.

Ted Pugh

Stunt Coordinator
Minesh,

I would upgrade to a pre/pro like Anthem, B&K Ref. 50, Aragon, Krell or Parasound to name just a few. You will already own the amps and the pre/pros will give you better flexibility. I am sorta in the same boat but I am using my 4802 as a pre/pro but looking to upgrade to full seperates.

Minesh Patel

Stunt Coordinator
So are you recommending I start with the receiver (as pre/pro) then upgrade to standalone unit, or just bite the bullet & buy the dedicated unit to begin with?

At this point I own nothing I want to use in my new HT room except for my Dish 6000 receiver.

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
I intend to power the system with either 2 Earthquake Cinenova Grande 3 channel amps, or a comparable 6 or 7 channel amp, such as an ATI, Outlaw, or Sherbourne, etc.
The Anthem / Earthquake combo would give you an unbelievable combo of power and detail. Not sure anything else could touch it at the price...

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Minesh,

Used Krells & Anthems are each running around $2500-2800, making for a difficult decision.
I hate to keep harping on the same issue, but I think it is important in the decision you are about to make. Anthem does not allow the transfer of its 5 year AVM-20 warranty when sold as a used product (I believe there are rare exceptions such as a dealer resell).

Something to consider if you were thinking about purchasing a used AVM-20.

Michael

Minesh Patel

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

Thanks for the heads up. What's the reliability of the Anthems, and are 3rd party warrantees available?

The savings on buying used vs. new is around $800, which would cover a lot of out-of-pocket repair costs.

Sonically & feature wise, which is the better product?

Also, are there any websites or links that show a comparison chart for various processors & their features? Crutchfield has something for receivers, but more & more I'm leaning to the dedicated pre/pro route.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks