Yamaha S2300 owners...satisfied, disappointed, glad you got it, wish you didn't?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by PaulDA, May 27, 2004.

1. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    A friend of mine got one last year and suggested I look into it. I've been considering its smaller/newer sibling, the S1500 but it keeps getting pushed back so that by the time it comes out, I might be able to put enough away to afford the 2300. Online reviews suggest it's quite good for video and decent with audio. While some other players seem to outshine its audio reviews, many of those seem to have reliability issues that I've yet to come across regarding the Yamaha. Reliability is important to me, as I don't want to have my player in the shop every two months, nor do I want to have to buy a new one in a year.

2. Richard_B

Richard_B Stunt Coordinator

Just saw this post,

I have had the S2300 for quite some time now. I do think it is a wonderful unit. It is built like a tank and so far I have not had a single problem with my unit. For whatever reason this player is not as popular as I feel it should be. I do feel that the similar priced Denon 2900 is also a great buy. With either of these units you should be able to enjoy DVD/DVD-A/SACD etc.. for years to come.

3. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

I know, I know.

But just to re-hash for those interested:

Poor BM, no TA, no levels.

4. Richard_B

Richard_B Stunt Coordinator

I have seen players with a worse BM setup. I am not sure what TA means and no levels but I am guessing some other players have these options.

I know it's not the best universal player out there but it's not a bad option compared to some of the other similarly priced units available from Elite, Denon, Integra, Onkyo, & Marantz. It scored pretty well on the Secrets tests pulling in an 84 which only loses to the Denon 2900 and 5900 among universal players. If you can strike a great deal like I did it also makes it much more appealing. If you don't need a DVI or HDMI connection in the near future it really is a good solid player.