What's new

Yamaha S1500 and Philips are related (1 Viewer)

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
Yamaha S1500 and [some/all] Philips players are related.

I know it was a rumor (based on the similar remotes). I am now confirming this. The S1500 is built in the same Chinese factory that builds the Philips (some or all) dvd players. Im not saying this is good or bad. Take it for what its worth.

I have the 2004 Yamaha New Product Manual. From a photo of the S1500's rear (probably an early prototype), it is clearly stated "Manufactured by Success Bright Industries LTD" (factory address is also given).

A google search of "Success Bright Industries" returns three hits. One link is a collection of personal photos taken within China. One photo grouping was taken in the SBI factory. The last photo of the group clearly shows some packaged Philips DVD players.

Its also worth noting that 4 or 5 of Yamaha's 2003 dvd models use this same (S1500) remote. From this, I dont think you can relate the S1500 to a particular Philips model (which some have) based on the remote alone.

To answer a few other Qs ive read:
The Manual list the S1500 as being available in May.
Front panel is extruded aluminum.
Detachable power cable.

Of course, you guys already know about CD upsampling, Direct audio mode, 108/12-bit V DAC, 192/24-bit A DAC, etc ... (most of the details at J&R).

Two screenshots are shown of the "on-screen display with GUI". One is of the "Audio Menu" with four bullets: Sub-woofer Mode, Digital Output, PCM Output, SACD Bass Bypass. The second shot is the "Speaker Size Menu" showing seven bullets. Two are unlisted (blank). The remaining are: Rear R Distance, Rear L Distance, Front Size, Center Size, Surround Size. The "Front Size" bullet is selected and "Large" is shown.

Rob

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I had heard that the 2300 was based on the Panasonic platform? But the funny thing was, it used a Pioneer style remote (like the old 525 player). But I know it doesn't use Pioneer internals.

Man, lots of ... "cross pollenization" ... going on. :D

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
A little off the subject but there is an ad in one of the mags this month for Sherwood where they say they manufacture products for 30-40 of the brand names we are all familiar with. The owner of a small A/V store in the East Bay told me Sherwood made H/K's receivers for them. Never mentioned it here before because it was just "hearsay". The ad now somewhat confirms this. I think it's kind of like car tires. A handfull of manufactures and a thousand brand names. I guess a factory can make a quality product on one line, and a piece of junk on another. Remember the Chevy Vega?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I can believe Sherwood makes some stuff for others, but H/K? H/K is part of Harman International, which is in and of itself a huge conglomerate. Plus, to me, there isn't a lot of difference between Onkyo, Pioneer, Sony, etc, receivers for example (no diss intended!), but H/K receivers kind of stand out due to their respective size and weight. They are one of the few receiver manufacturers out there where their power ratings actually meet their specs, for example. :)

Matsushita (ok, I think I butchered that spelling :) ) too is behind a lot of products out there.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Kevin, I was sceptical of it myself for the same reasons you brought up. But then again, it might be that Sherwood (or someone else) only manufactures the product but H/K does the design and engineering. The guy was also showing me a Sherwood Newcastle when I mentioned that I had an H/K. That's when he brought up the H/K connection. But who knows what's really going on out there as far as who makes what. In the end, I try to evaluate each piece on it's own merits regardless of who/where it's made. But it would be nice to know. BTW, I think you got "Matsushita" right! :)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm... That would be interesting! Gene- Just curious, do you know where H/K stuff is manufactured? (I keep this mental list in my head.)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I can't get to the back of my receiver, but the cd and dvd players are made in China. Maybe Sherwood (or it's holding company) own the plant and make things "under spec" for whoever places an order. Again, this is guessing on my part. No proof. Can't find that mag ad either. Must be getting old!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks