What's new
World Wide Stereo

Yamaha RX-Z9 Flagship Receiver the new Leader?- (1 Viewer)

Cahyo Wicaksono

Stunt Coordinator
The chip being used is FLI-2310.

It also uses NSV from Analog Devices.

Image adjustments allowed by this unit are: Enhancer (sharpness), 3D NR, Brightness, Contrast, and Saturation

728x90

Cahyo Wicaksono

Stunt Coordinator
Sean, since you seem to know a lot about the Z9, can you help explain what is NSV by Analog Devices and what chip Yamaha uses for the image adjustment parameters?

Thanks.

Sean M

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, I know a lot about scalers and scaling chips, of which Faroudja, through Genesis Microchip, makes both. I want to know more about the Z-9 specifically, so if you have a source at Yamaha that can provide you with specific info, then I'm as eager to hear it as anyone.

NSV stands for Noise Shaped Video, which has the same effect as oversampling on a CD, shifting noise in the signal out of the visible realm. The techniques for performing the shift are different from conventional oversampling, I believe, though don't ask me how. This occurs in the video encoder DAC prior to output in analog form.

I believe that basic image adjustments are available on the 2310, though I could be wrong, or Yamaha might not be using the adjustments on this chip. I think that if they were using a stand alone chip for the adjustment of image parameters they'd be more extensive, though. I think the flexibility of the 2310, allowing for a simplified implementation, is the reason that Yamaha has included this feature set. I don't think they would have bothered if they had had to use the Sil504 and a Pixelworks scaler and an Analog Devices video DAC to accomplish this, but again, I could be wrong.

Cahyo Wicaksono

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Sean, quite unfortunately getting info from Yamaha is like pulling teeth :frowning: Supposedly Yamaha Japan doesn't disclose much to their subsidiary anyway.

Tom Camlioglu

Stunt Coordinator
New Leader of .. what?

The fact that you'll probably end up upgrading when the next receiver comes out in 12 to 18 months?

;)

Cahyo Wicaksono

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not a Yamaha fan at all, but their 10-band parametric EQ auto calibration PLUS another 10-band graphic EQ for further fine tuning will be pretty tough to match.

Oh, and they really have to do something about the remote. It's fugly :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks