What's new

Yamaha RX-V800/5280 question (1 Viewer)

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Hey guys,

I have a quick question about this reciever. I have a friend that wants to get a reciever and for what he wants I've decided that this is the best reciever. What I'd like to know is whether you can fill the A/V inputs with both RCA and SVideo devices and just run SVideo to the TV. What I'm saying is that if you hook up a VCR to the reciever via RCA jacks, and then hook up a DVD player to the reciever via S-video (and digital for sound), and then you hook up the reciever to the TV using the s-video out, will you still be able to see the signal from the VCR? I have the Onkyo 595 and with that reciever you cant do that (quite annoying).

Thanks,

Marshall

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Yes, that's the way it works for Yamaha. Using the receiver's source control, say VCR1, and DVD, you get both sources, and you see the On Screen Display as well.

The VCR RCA audio jacks go to the receiver for processing, while the VCR Line 1 or video cable OUT goes into the TV's EXT1 (or EXT2) input for the visual.

Then it's necessary to switch the TV input control or remote to EXT1 (or EXT2) for VCR and Svideo for DVD watching.

I've just started using the VCR and its programmable remote to watch cablevision programs on my older 27-inch TV; it improves the audio a lot.

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure I understood it :) What I'm trying to figure out is whether you can switch video at the reciever even though some components are hooked up via composite video and some are hooked up via s-video cables. In other words, can the reciever pass the composite signal to the TV through its s-video cable to the TV?
thanks
marshall

Bill Bradstreet

Stunt Coordinator
I'd love it if that was the case, but it isn't on my DSP-A3090. Hopefully they are doing this on the 800. For some reason I doubt it. Do you know of any receivers that DO have this option?

Taka

Agent
Marshall, Bill-

It wasn't until this year that I was aware of this issue, primarily because my TV was an old Sony w/ only composite inputs.

To my knowledge, the only receivers that "convert" the inputs so that a single monitor output is used are the Kenwood Sovereign line. This was mentioned to me by a salesperson at a respected local retailer.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the scratch to pony up for a Sovereign and ended up with a floor model Denon 3300 instead, so my VCR is kind of in limbo going through the antenna input of my TV only, unless I get an S-video to composite converter, which I have read can be had from Radio Shack for very little $.

Taka

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Thanks guys, I'm pretty sure the Onkyo696 does this kind of switching, because when I was researching before I got my 595 I remeber reading about the fact that the 696 did, but the 595 didn't.

Do you guys know that if I hook up both monitor outs from the reciever (composite and svideo) would this work to switch between them, assuming the TV had inputs for both?

This seems like such a cool feature, i wonder why these companies dont implement it more.

Later,

marshall

Paul Pacey

Grip
Hey Marshall,

There's no question (according to the manual), it definitely DOES NOT convert the signal between RCA, S-Video and component video. You'll have to hook up RCA cables from the receiver to the TV to see the VCR image.

As far as your TV using the RCA signal over the S-video signal, might be up to your TV.

However, the RX-V800 prioritizes the signals coming in (taking OPTICAL digital over stereo RCA, etc.), but I don't think it does it on the other end to the "monitor out".(i.e. pretty sure it would send whatever signal it's receiving on that switch (VCR1, DVD, etc.) out the other end, hence, you need to check your TV's manual to see if it will take the s-video signal over the composite signal)

But, thinking about it, if your receiver is only outputting the VCR composite signal(it won't be sending the DVD's s-video signal if the receiver is set to VCR1) then I don't think you'd have to worry about two conflicting signals.

Anyone else encountered this exact scenario?

Pacey

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks