What's new
World Wide Stereo

Yamaha receiver for Athena speakers... (1 Viewer)

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I'm looking at an Athena setup for my basement, (ASF1, ASB1, ASC1, sub undecided)...

Someone at a local Athena dealer told me Athena demos their speakers on Yamaha amps because they sound the best on them...to me those are just words, but I'm wondering if there's any truth to that...

Secondly, I was told that the RXV430 (or the HTR5640, same thing essentially) would be enough to power that setup, but I am somewhat skeptical...I don't need to blast my movies and music to enjoy them, but a reasonable level so you're immersed in the sound and not really straining to hear anything is what I desire...

The basement is 19x13x7 with a rather large plush carpet and plush furniture (if that makes any difference)...

Thoughts on the Yamaha amps?

(PS, I'll be posting a thread about sub choices in the Speakers forum, so if anyone has anything to suggest, please do so)

Thanks.

728x90

Lee M T

Second Unit
Hello, welcome...

I wouldn't doubt someone out there thinks only Yamaha makes Athena speakers sound their best, but that doesn't mean that you will. I would try to see if the store will throw other receivers on the speakers so you can demo them.

With that said, I now own a Yamaha as of two weeks ago. The thing is a gem in my opinion. Totally kicks the poo out of my old Pioneer (which supposedly had much more power than the Yammie). The RX-V430/440 is rated at 75 watts x 6 correct? That should be plenty of power for you. I would look into getting the "40" model though, 440, 540, 640, etc. Those are this years. Last years "30" models didn't include the full plethora of DTS options, which are Discrete, Matrix, and Neo 6. The "40" models now do have all of those.

I own the RX-V640 if by chance you have any questions directly toward the Yammie units.

The Yammies tend to have a little more, shall we say "pizazz" in the power department. A bit perky. Where as something like a Marantz tends to have a more toned down approach to their power. So, that's why it would be great if you could find an Athena dealer that will let you try out other receivers.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
How do the Yamahas compare to Harman/Kardons? I have an AVR225 hooked up to my Take 5.2s and I'm quite happy with it (I just can't afford another one :))..I've heard the Athena setup on the RXV640 at one dealer, and on an H/K AVR520 at another dealer...unfortuantely these dealers are more mainstream so I can't perform a direct comparison...the listening room has one receiver and thats it...

But it is good to hear yet another opinion that 6x75 will be enough...that's what I've been factoring into the cost so far anyways...

JasonIs

Agent
I bought the Athena AS-F2 from BestBuy along with the Yamaha 5590 receiver and couldnt stand it. The yamaha receiver was way too "bright" and made them sound very annoying at higher volume levels especially on music. I then went to circuit city and bought the Harman Kardon avr525 receiver and it made them sound a lot better, but I still wasnt satisfied with the sound I was getting for music, HT was fine, but I am more interested in music so I took EVERTHING back. Now I am looking at Energy Veritas and MB Quart. Good Luck.

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator
Drew_W:

Lee M T gave you good advise, do audition closely at different A/V receivers. If you opt for the Yamaha, do as Lee said, go for this years models. I will add not to buy a model lower than the RX-V 640.

Yamahas tend to sound punchier than some other brands, however, with the wrong equipment they can also sound bright, like JasonIs mentioned. Audition carefully before you buy. The Athena's tweeter is not forgiving from around 10khz. to 18 khz., so be careful.

JaimeB

Drew_W

Screenwriter
What do you mean that the Athena tweeter is not forgiving? And why do you say not to go for anything lower than the RX-V640 ? For the power ? I think the main features are all more or less identical across the line (at least the new one)

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator
Drew:

I mean the Athena's tweeter jumps +6 db's from 10khz. to its peak at 18 khz. It is what is called a "hot" tweeter. Unforgiving, because, as logic will dictate, if you buy a bright sounding receiver, this brightness will be made worse by the Athenas.

My recommendation not to buy a lower priced Yamaha is basically my concern that many low priced receivers don't reach Manufacturers' advertised power output. Some are way off specified output. Audition for yourself if the receiver you are interested can drive without distortion the Athenas.

Hope you can get a satisfying match!

JaimeB

Lee M T

Second Unit
I believe Jaime means the tweeter has the ability to scream your ears off if provided the oppertunity.

I'm with Jamie on not going lower than the 640. The RX-V440 is pretty bare bones. This day in age, I'm thinking it won't last you long, at least in the connectivity department. What I notice is...

Digital Ins/Outs: The 640 has 4 inputs (3 optical, 1 coaxial) and 1 output (optical). The 440 only has 2 inputs (1 optical, 1 coaxial) and 0 outputs. What musical things do you need to hook up now? Do you have a DVD player? PS2? Xbox? CD player, Digital Cable box, Sattelite? All of these things would sound best using a digital input on the receiver. If you have more than two of these things or plan on having more than two in the future, then you'll be out of luck with the 440.

A/V Inputs: 640 has 5 (with S-Video) compared to the 440's 4 (with S-Video). That comparison isn't too bad.

Front Panel: Both have A/V jacks in front, but the 640 adds an S-Video in and an optical digital in.

Also worth mentioning, the 640 adds 10 watts more per channel and it also has Zone 2 functionality. The biggest perk, in my opinion, is preamp outputs for all channels. The price is $200 difference, but well worth it, especially in the long run.

I talked my local Tweeter down to $440 on my RX-V640. Try to negotiate with your dealers. Treat the receiver like a new car. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks