What's new

Yamaha HTR-3064 speaker impedence settings (1 Viewer)

ciggggg87

Auditioning
Real Name
craig
Hey guys,
New to the forum and was hoping for some help..I have a yamaha HTR-3064..i was reading the manual and read about speaker impendence setting, and as i have 5 speakers and a sub, 6setting should be what setting im.on..when i turn off the recievrr and hold straight to get up the advanced setup ot only shows remotr ID and init-... Does anyone know how i can get te speaker impedence setting up? Its just not there at all...just those two options i mentioned
thanks guys

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
If you followed the directions on pg 55 Speaker Impendance should also be there. Not sure why it wouldn't be.
As I understand it, when lowering the speaker imendance most receivers just lower the power output to protect the amp section. If you can't change the impendance setting to 6 ohms just be a little carefull with the volume knob. Refrain from cranking it up too high. And most receivers can power 6 ohm speakers perfectly fine anyway.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
and as i have 5 speakers and a sub, 6setting should be what setting im.on..
If I'm reading this correctly you're trying to set the receiver to 6 ohms because you have 6 speakers. That's incorrect. The number of speakers and ohms have nothing to do with one another. Let us know what speakers you have. (And for what it's worth, most receivers will run 6 ohm speakers off of the defualt 8 ohm setting.)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'll add in another tidbit that Gene alluded to, but I'll just add more...
Depending on how LOUD you listen, a given "8ohm load amp" will also drive 4ohm speakers with ease.
Here is the concept when it comes to ohm load.
Take X receiver...
It has a "given amount" of cooling ability(known as the heat sink) that keeps it cool when generating, at most, a combined 500 watts(all channels added together).
At 8ohms you would be hard pressed to get that receiver to get over 300...unless you are REALLY JAMMING....
At 4ohm...the same amount of "volume knob" you could be asking the amp to run over 600. That 600 is greater than the 500 it is able to run...and keep itself cool at the same time.
And no, not all amps are a "direct doubling" of power from 8 to 4. But in a nutshell...there is your explanation. And in the VAST MAJORITY of receivers/amps on the market with an "ohm switch"(whether it be an actual switch or in the menu), all it does is curtail the volume knob giving you less gain.
So, in short, ignore the ohm setting and just keep an eye on the heat if you are "jamming"...

ciggggg87

Auditioning
Real Name
craig
Hi Guy's thanks for your responses. So just to clarify, this whole things isnt really anything i need to be overly concerned about right? providing I dont play things so loud that it explodes my neighbourhood lol.
According to the manual, it says that the impedence setting is by default set at 8... and if you have less speakers than that, to change it too 6. The only reason i really asked was because I wanted to know if it would improve my surround sound quality or not haha.
My speaker pack is:
Jamo A320HCS6 -
"Compact surround sound speaker set-up featuring 4 x A320 satellites, matched centre and 8" subwoofer"
I also just find it weird that the speaker impedence option isnt event there in the advanced menu either...
Thanks guys :)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Those are 6 ohm speakers but I'd still leave the receiver set to 8 ohms and keep an eye on it. If it starts to heat up or shut down (goes into "self protect" mode) then chage the setting to 6 ohm. On the other hand, if Yamaha recommends a change in the setting for 6 ohm speakers then that doesn't bode well for it's amp section. Must be kind of weak :crazy: .
Different receivers have a different way of handling this. Most receivers say they are good with 6-16 ohm speakrs, some say 4 ohm stable (by selecting the 4 ohm option in the setup menu) and some older models simply have a 4-8 ohm switch on the back of the receiver.

Galco

Auditioning
Real Name
Gabriel
Hey guys,
New to the forum and was hoping for some help..I have a yamaha HTR-3064..i was reading the manual and read about speaker impendence setting, and as i have 5 speakers and a sub, 6setting should be what setting im.on..when i turn off the recievrr and hold straight to get up the advanced setup ot only shows remotr ID and init-... Does anyone know how i can get te speaker impedence setting up? Its just not there at all...just those two options i mentioned
thanks guys

Hello, I have the same problem, I cant change the impedance because in the advance menu i dont have the option to do it. I want to change it because I want to have it right, my main speakers are mr6 monitor audio, 6ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks