What's new

XM Radio -- A really annoying shortcoming (1 Viewer)

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
OK. There are probably about three other people out there who are listening to the classical channels on XM. But, I'm still going to vent to this tiny group.

Is anyone else annoyed that XM does not display the performers of the classical works? Yes, I know that there is a technological limitation of the XM read-out. (Stupid, STUPID designers of the system to impose that character count limit!!!) But there should be a database listeners could access online that would fill in the rest of the information on a performance.

Or am I missing something and having an aneurism for no good reason?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Bob,

I don't listen enough to any of the
classical XM channels to notice, but
I do sympathise with the limitation
on the character displays.

Starting with Delphi product(s) released
in late 2004, the displays have been
upgraded to accept expanded title characters.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
I believe my SkyFi2 has the expanded title characters capability, but, unfortunately, it still isn't enough to tell me who played Sibelius' "Finlandia" 45 minutes ago, or which Massenet opera I'm listening to at the moment. (At least, I recognize the Massenet. But everyone who doesn't, only knows the composer and the fact that it's Act 1 of SOMETHING. )

It would be lovely if a future version of XM increased the character limit. Or, even without that, if there was access to their database to find out detailed recording info. (Or even a "Playing Now" button on the web page for each channel. Oh well, maybe someday...)

When the playlist is as rich and deep as the classical playlists on XM's classical services, you just want to know MORE.

And while we're on the subject, Robert Aubry Davis, Martin Goldsmith, and Paul Bachmann do a helluva outstanding job programming these channels.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Bob,

If you have SkyFi 2, then indeed your unit
has the newest display technology that allows
for extended character display.

I know that the pop channels have taken
advantage of the enhanced display capability
and sort of saddened to hear that the classic
channels have not.

Perhaps writing a letter to XM may help.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, you could always write the channel to see if they have the information on who recorded what.

I certainly understand your frustration, since those really into classical music usually want to know that kind of information.

Unfortunatly, classical music is pretty unique in its requirements for identification of works, having composers, conductors, orchestras, and soloists to keep track of. When the system isn't designed for it, it is going to be lacking.

Jason

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Thanks for the suggestion, Jason. I did drop an email to XM classics asking which Sibelius performance it was. (And stuck around long enough to hear Davis back announce the "Manon" cast.)

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Let me just chime in and say that I've always been very pleased with the timely and friendly responses I get when I send email to individual channels of XM Radio ("The Loft", "XM Cafe", etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks