What's new

XBOX sales increase 131% since price drop (1 Viewer)

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Sony's motto, we'll sell you anything including the multitap since we are too lazy to make four controller ports, ohhh and we'll keep the same crappy analog stick on the controller, ohhh and we'll really rush out the hardware so their is not Anti Aliasing hardware built in, and the programmers have to work too hard to get something out of it, cause of the bottlenecks.
Man, you really don't like the controller. I think it's the most versatile controller across all genres of any 1st party controller available. I only have two problems with the DS2. One, I wish it was a bit bigger and, two, I think the left analog stick should be in the same position that the GC and XBOX have their left sticks relative to the D-pad. It's more comfortable there. Well, it could also stand to have the L2 and R2 as actual analog triggers.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The PS2 controller is, IMO, only second to the GameCube controller.

ohhh and we'll really rush out the hardware so their is not Anti Aliasing hardware built in
I remember reading that Halo didn't even have AA built into it. And even if AA isn't done on the hardware, that doesn't mean it can't be done on a console and won't come out good.

Sony might have been lazy and their console is inferior to the others. That's generally expected when it COMES OUT A YEAR BEFORE THE OTHERS. I'm not trying to be rude, but saying that the PS2's hardware sucks compared to the X-Box and GameCube is a very "duh" statement. And even so, I've already had many memorable gameplay experiences on my PS2 that I have yet to have on my GameCube, so the age of the PS2 gives it more games that the other two consoles don't (or won't) have, which is a very good thing for the PS2.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Listen, this is the point of this thread IMO.

There are a few of us out there that have neither the time, nor the money to get more than one console. Being this is the HTF, some of us have chosen to make that ONE console the XBox for it's potential as both a gaming unit and for it's DVD capabilities. IF (big if) it reaches it's potential, it should be a great addition to any HTF member's ensemble. I have already gotten numerous great hours of pleasure out of mine in just over 2 months of ownership. However, most XBox owners realize the system is in third place. Threads like this were meant to make fellow XBox owners happy that sales are increasing, that the system has a viability it really may not have shown previous to the price drops. We all know the PS2 is #1 and nobody is debating that. Whether Nintendo is #2 by a wide margin is not really my concern. My concern is that MY system is around for a while with great games and provides me with a lot of fun. I don't care if Nintendo and Sony kick Microsoft's ass, as long as Microsoft sees a growing market, one that is big enough to support the console and grow the gaming library. If the market is big enough to house all three systems, I am happy.

I don't need all the other PS2 and GC fans chiming in telling us they are doing much better. We all know this. Been there, done that. Consider this thread a XBox support group.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Nice attitude. I don't think this thread was heading that direction at all.
Well, let's look then, shall we? The thread topic is the fact that Xbox sales have picked up since the price drop. The very next post points out that the PS2 is still outselling it. Two posts later, a smart-ass remark that at one time the PSOne was outselling the Xbox in Japan. Immediately after that, a post saying there is "zero interest" in the Xbox (exaggerate much?) and comparing it quite unfavorably to the prospects of the other two.

So for those of you keeping track at home, that's three of the first five replies basically downplaying the significance of the positive news in the original thread. Post after post, week after week, month after month, it seems like every time something good about the Xbox gets posted, a bunch of killjoys swoop down and dismiss it. It gets old after a while. Maybe now you can understand my "attitude".

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Well, let's look then, shall we? The thread topic is the fact that Xbox sales have picked up since the price drop. The very next post points out that the PS2 is still outselling it.
It's all about context. That's why I posted my original comment about the PS2 continuing to outsell it. And the comment about being happy was a smarmy reply to the original comment about 'sales making me happy'.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
I'd say the XBox hasn't had a very compelling run so far.

I DO think there are a few good games on the system, but beyond Halo, there's not much that can move the system in serious quantities. Where I work, the PS2 is still outselling the XBox by about 1.75 to 1. I DO think that the XBox might start to be more successful farther down the road, but right now it's fate remains to be seen.

I PERSONALLY am not interested in the system right now -- perhaps in about 6 months the system will have more on it that is compelling for me.

GameCube, meanwhile, is compelling enough that I'll probably purchase it in the next month or two.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
/long rant ahead

I'd say the XBox hasn't had a very compelling run so far.
Sales wise I would agree. Its been an up and down ride for the X-box in the US (though sales are quite damn good in the US) and a complete downer in Japan. Game wise I completely disagree. It truly amazes me at times that people can't for the life of them remember the days when the PS2 had NOTHING to play. That drought lasted for the first 8 months of its existence.

The X-box has been available for almost 7 months I believe and its library is much much more compelling when compared to the first 7 months of the PS2. The same can be said of the Gamecube. Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil, Rogue Squadron.etc... 4 quality titles in 6-7 months of existence. Take into account games like Jet Set Radio Future, Rallisport Challenge, Halo, Moto GP, Project Gotham, Hunter The Reckoning...etc. Not too shabby for 2 systems in thier infancy.

Sales threads are meant to inform, plain and simple. Information to help determine how each console is doing. Thats all it is ladies and gentleman. Its not a "pat yourself on the back scenario" as it usually becomes. It astounds me that people say things like "we're winning" when the PS2 leads in sales or the Gamecube or X-box spike in sales. Uh...what exactly did you win?

There are three sets of people in the world that really need to worry about the sales of a console: retailers, developers, and the console manufacturer. Are we gamers or financial analysts?

On that note, I would hardly say that Camp is stating fanboy nonsense or bashing the X-box when all he stated was sales information from a company he works for. Its reality and good information. Neither is Brian for that matter...

Anyone been to a local videogame shop lately? I hear the most outrageous nonsense at these places. The true fanboys of PA come out around these parts and for life of me I can't understand how someone can look at the "coming soon" boxes of Panzer Dragoon Orta, Socom, GTA Vice City, Mario Sunshine or Metroid and say "That respective system needs to die, it has no right to be here and I'm sick of the quality games that it will have!" How fucking stupid is that!!?? The best part is that we're all gamers. We all have passion for playing, why do we need to be categorized??

Evan I understand where your coming from. When I bought a Dreamcast I had one game in mind: Resident Evil Code Veronica. That was enough to make the purchase of the DC worth it for me. Sega was the second driving factor there. If you are enjoying your X-box then its worth it my man. If the system were to die in a year you would still have Panzer Dragoon, Star Wars KOTR, Blinx so forth so on to enjoy and its death would not diminish thier enjoyment. Just as the death of the DC hasn't made Jet Grind Radio or Shenmue any less enjoyable.

When the world stops and the sales threads end I will flip a game disc in the air, close my eyes and you know what? I could care less what disc tray it falls in. As long as I get to play it, thats all that counts.

/end rant

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
In the words of a certain Jedi,Romier...
"Impressive...most impressive."
I happen to agree. Sure I want the Xbox to succeed,with it having the most potential of the 3 current systems.
But you know what?
I just want to play some good games.
Period.
That's it.
End of line.
Calvin

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Crazy Taxi 3 should give the XBOX a small sales boost this month and there is a decent following for that franchise. The other Sega games coming out over the next couple months (Sega GT, House of the Dead 3, Toe Jam & Earl 3, and Panzer Dragoon Orta) will really help since they are all currently XBOX exclusives.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I've always considered the HTF Gaming Forum to be the last frontier to discuss game systems w/o alot of the fanboy system-basher crap that goes on in EVERY other gaming forum. From the looks of it here in recent times, those days are gone. As an XBOX owner, I don't care if XBOX ever catches Sony. All that MS needs to do is provide competition, another option for gamers. They have done that. They will continue to do that. Some of you system bashers/criticizers are probably some of the same ones who said that DTS would shrivel up and go away because of disinterest. Some of you really need to grow up.

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
I don't think the "fan boy" mentality is nearly as bad here as at other sites I've been to.

However, the one difference in this board versus the others is the tendency to judge a console based on its hardware instead of its titles. I've always felt that HTF had a very pervasive X-box following here, as demonstrated by calling this a "support thread" in an earlier post. It's understandable, with the X-box having the potential for HD gaming and 5.1 sound as features.

Unfortunately, great hardware does not make a console invincible. Games that no one would take a second look at on another machine become news if they support DD 5.1 and a 16:9 progressive mode on X-box -- simply because they're home theater friendly even if they can't cut in gameplay. For example, over in the software forum, someone bashed the PS2 for not having progressive scan or DD 5.1 as a required standard.

I'm not trying to rile anyone up -- this is STILL the most civil place to discuss hardware -- just thought I'd give some insight in to why "fan boys" are labeled so quickly here.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
However, the one difference in this board versus the others is the tendency to judge a console based on its hardware instead of its titles. I've always felt that HTF had a very pervasive X-box following here, as demonstrated by calling this a "support thread" in an earlier post. It's understandable, with the X-box having the potential for HD gaming and 5.1 sound as features.
Adam to be fair you are on a Home Theater Forum after all. I completely see your point of view and I absolutely agree that no amount of 16:9, progressive scan, or 5.1 sound will make a crap game any better. Nor will having fantastic graphics make a crap game play any better. You also have to look at the fact that a majority of the people here have spent an enormous amount of money on thier HT's and want to get the most out of thier money.
I am by no means defending anyone that says the PS2 is "crap" because it does not support 5.1 or can't handle progressive scan (both untrue statements) but you will find many more people here that care about that than anywhere else. Its why there are allot of members here that support the X-box. It is in fact a very HT friendly machine.
I think we've all been known to be overzealous at times in defending a particular system. Whether it be the Dreamcast, Xbox Nintendo..whatever. Its human nature to defend something you like and dont want to see shat upon:D. Its also human nature to be emotional and passionate about what you defend. Its why these kinds of threads turn into hostility and the eventual "YOU DAMN FANBOY!" arguments. It all inconsequential anyway.
Listen, the point of this thread was to say "Guys, check it out. The Xbox is doing better. I for one am happy". GREAT! If the thread would have been "Guys, the PS2 doubled in sales!" GREAT!. Maybe even: "Guys Mario sold 3 million" GREAT! Fucking A SPECTACULAR! All three systems are thriving. God bless America, Japan, Europe..etc.. that we can have 3 viable consoles to play and the PC market that we can enjoy the hell out of. Hundreds of games at our fingertips and new things to come back 20 years from now and start a thread that says:
"Anyone remember that Silent Cartographer level in Halo?? Awesome!"
"Did anyone ever got all 120 shines in Super Mario Sunshine? I've been working on it for 15 years now, I suck!"
"How many hookers would you say you beat up in Grand Theft Auto Vice City? I racked up 300 in 10 years! HAAHAHAH!"
When looking at the amount of shit that we ahve to play. Even looking at the stuff that we can buy to pass our time as gamers. Its amazing. We are in the second golden age of gaming! Enjoy it while it lasts!!:emoji_thumbsup:

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Shit, you can't even talk about video games anymore without some idiot claiming "system bashing" or "fanboy-ism".
Let me clarify: if you read any portion of this thread and got upset that someone was dissing the Xbox you are an idiot!
If any post in this thread led you to believe the author was a fanboy or was bashing the Xbox you are an idiot!
This is an extremely level-headed discussion of opinions and facts about console sales. If you took ANYTHING else away from this thread... (you know my closing phrase by now). :)
So, is that how we're going to be around here? Getting all in a huff about something as silly as console sales? If so, let me know so I can stop posting here.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Hey, Romier, you are a bigtime fanboy!! :D ;)
And Camp, please don't stop posting...How else am I gonna get inside info?? Huh,huh??? :D ;)
(Well,at least until I go back for the holidays...)
Funny thing happened tonight....My wonderful fiancee' Leslie said that she's interested in the upcoming party game Whacked.
Plus she wants to play Eternal Darkness.
And,she's gonna buy me Steel Battalion for my b-day.
(sigh) I love her!
:D
Everyone else,just relax, & remember, we here at the HTF are supposed to be better than the "other" boards.
So play nice.....
Calvin (Hey, I finally hit 500!!! Woohoo!!)

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Hey Romier,I think its supposed to be a palendrome(sp?)You know it "Rox" forward and back.At least thats what I gather.Internet slang sux :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks