XBOX sales increase 131% since price drop

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChristopherS, Jul 24, 2002.

1. ChristopherS

ChristopherS Second Unit

Good news found at the XenGamers site . It would seem that XBOX software is also selling well. This makes me very happy :b .
    Chris

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

And is still being completely outsold by the PS2. Does that make you happy?

3. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

Look at the bright side, Brian. It means that it'll last longer than the 3DO or the Jaguar. That should make u happy [​IMG].
    There was an article on IGN that says it's sold close to 4 million units. Compared to the PS2, that's bantha-poodo, but at least it's hanging in there. I for one love my black box. Let's hope this is a good sign of things to come (and that this thread doesn't start another console debate [​IMG] )...
    Freddy C.

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Frederick, [​IMG]
    To be fair, both XBox & GC are selling well - their big problem is the PS2 continues to outsell both. I believe the May/June figures show it's outselling both combined, right?

5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Should we bring up those sales figures from Japan that showed the PSOne outselling the X-Box?

Anyhoo, I think that GameCube sales will pick up with Mario Sunshine or Metroid or any one of "those" titles, but I'm not sure which X-Box game(s) coming this year would really have a similar effect on XB sales.

6. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

There is pretty much zero interest in Xbox right now. Gamecube is doing very well though not nearly well enough to challenge PS2.

I see the Xbox as a foot in the door for Microsoft. It is an investment in the future. It will prepare consumers to begin thinking of the Microsoft name in conjunction with their living room. Future game machines and set-top boxes from Microsoft are where a massive installed base (and profits) need to be. In other words, the Xbox was designed to loose money from the get go...based on the stategy that it will be easier for Microsoft to make money in this category in the future.

7. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

9. ChristopherS

ChristopherS Second Unit

10. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

12. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

13. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

I've heard that 3.8 million sales figure a few times recently. Given that the official sales figures in Japan are a shade under 200,000 and that European sales are around 500,000 either you Americans really like the Box, or the 3.8 million number is sales to retailers, not sales by retailers.

14. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

According to this link, the Xbox has sold 52% more units than the Gamecube since the price cut (second page of the link). If that's zero interest, what's the interest for the GC? A negative percentage?
    Yes, the Cube has their big four franchise games coming out this year, so I'm sure their sales will pick up. But anyone who says they don't see anything on the Xbox's horizon is either not looking in the right places or is kidding themselves. If Xbox Live doesn't push your buttons, there's always Splinter Cell, Dead to Rights, Brute Force, Panzer Dragoon, Blinx...ahh, forget it. It's all been said before. What a shock, a positive Xbox piece of news has degenerated into another pointless pissing contest. [​IMG]

15. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

16. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

Why do people feel compelled to defend a MACHINE? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a.) Xbox is NOT selling well, even if there have been some recent sales increases, and b.) Sony, like it or not, has won this round.

Why does this matter to anybody? Even if Xbox never achieves sales greatness, the games are still pretty good, right? We all have "Halo," "Dead or Alive 3," and "Project Gotham Racing," right? So why aren't we playing them instead of bitching back and forth to each other in an online forum?

Dreamcast lost, too -- so what? I still love mine. I love my Xbox. I love my PS2. I even love my dusty Gamecube, because soon it will give me hours of Mario happiness. IS it interesting to follow the console wars? Yes. Do I care who wins? No, not as long as I keep getting good games to play.

Folks, let's go PLAY SOME GAMES. Let Bill Gates worry about sales figures. He's the one with a multi-billion dollar investment in this.

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

We're not fighting over the machines, we're discussing sales numbers and the future of each console.

18. Willy burz

Willy burz Stunt Coordinator

I could care less about the ps2 selling more cause their system in my opinion sucks, and it's controller with it's terrible analog stick, can sell all it wants and to however many people want to buy it.
    I'll take my Cube with all the first party games, and the third party support that's already here or coming. All I need is Tendos first party and exclusive lineup and the sports games from sega and EA. That alone satisfies me... Ohh that and the best wireless controller in history! Then on the side I'll still play a bit of Halo on the box.
    Sony's motto, we'll sell you anything including the multitap since we are too lazy to make four controller ports, ohhh and we'll keep the same crappy analog stick on the controller, ohhh and we'll really rush out the hardware so their is not Anti Aliasing hardware built in, and the programmers have to work too hard to get something out of it, cause of the bottlenecks.
    The ps2 would be dead, the only reason it's alive and flourishing is a year head start and user base because of that head start!
    But, that's my opinion! [​IMG]

19. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

20. StuartK

StuartK Extra