What's new

XBox running XBox Media Center: a must-have for music lovers! (1 Viewer)

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
I have a modded XBox and I've recently installed XBox Media Center on it (the underground version, not the Micro$oft version), and I've transferred over a large quantity of my MP3 collection on to the XBox. FWIW, all my MP3s are 192 kbps or higher (average or VBR). XBox Media Center allows upsampling of all music to 48 kHz (from 44.1 kHz) and can output in Dolby Digital 5.1 surround @ 640 kbps. I know this isn't true DVD-A but with good DSP processing on the receiver end, music sounds absolutely amazing through the XBox Media Center.

For example, I have a 6.1 speaker set up (JBL Studio Series II all around, HSU STF-2, Dayton STF-2), and while playing MP3s through XBMC @ 5.1 DD, I set my Yamaha RX-V2400 to Cinema DSP mode "Music Video", enable Dolby Pro Logic IIx Music, set my crossover to 120 Hz and disable my Parametric EQ. The result is crisp, clean, and engulfing music like I've never heard it before, ever! I've never tried DVD-A or SACD, but XBox Media Center has given new life to my MP3 collection and more reason for me to love my AVR/speaker set up :D

Add to that the fact that XBox Media Center has full XBox remote control support, a modded XBox running XBox Media Center is a must-have for any music lover with an MP3 collection. Oh, and I did mention you can stream your MP3s over your home network?

Highly Recommended :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=1
My DVD Collection

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I have a modded xbox I use for emualtion of older gaming systems. Also used Xbox Media Player (pre-cursor to XBMC) to stream movies over our wireless network from PC to xbox. Works like a charm, amazing what you can do with $200 these days.

I will second the Highly Recommend!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Where can I get more info on the 'secret' stuff you can do with an XBox? I've heard stories of things like this but not about how to actually do it; I'm not too interested in the games out for it (I prefer the classics) but might get one if there's enough other stuff it can do. Someone said it has a lot of PC functions that are essentially crippled by the manufacturer, but you can enable them?

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Off-topic, but I'll respond nonetheless. Most modern XBox mod chips allow you to disable the chip with an external switch. Once the chip is disabled, the XBox is like any regular un-modded XBox, giving you full access to XBox Live features. If you try to go on XBox Live with the mod chip enabled, you'll be banned.

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=6
My DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks