What's new

XBox Live - Sittin' on the fence... (1 Viewer)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Hiya all!
I hardly ever come in here... I'm usually to busy talkin' about DVD's. :D
Okay. So I've had my XBox for around 6 months now... love it! But I'm kinda fence-sitting on Live. (I've done plenty of on-line gaming on my PC.. but I suck... so if I *DO* get live... I'll be lookin for the All-Thumbs League!) :D
I'm also fence-sitting due to the fact that I'll have to buy a wireless router and bridge to get to my cable modem. (Different floors of the house...) (I know about the FS deal here in Canada... but I can't afford the equipment until at least month-end...)
What are your thoughts about the product/service? Likes? Dislikes? After the 1-year is gone, what do you think of the monthly costs?
I also notice that most people are shunning the voice-mask feature. Why is that? Just curious. :) Does it suck or something?
So... in short... talk me into it! ;)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
The voice masking is cool when you test it, but when playing online it is hard to make out what people are saying. I used it for about one minute.

So far, I love the service. It is wonderful. My only real complaint is that other people online dont like to chat too much and dont understand how good communication helps teamwork.

I did play one game last night in Unreal where we all communicated very well in a CTF game and wiped the floor with the other team.

It also seems that most people I run into on Live have never played ANYTHING online before, not even on PC.

I want to find some old school Unreal Tournament players that play Championship online, since they will have some experience. I always find the neophytes.

Chris Gio

Agent
Well, I'm hoping that they keep the payment at $50 a year, because that's a perfectly manageable payment for most people, as opposed to $10 a month. :thumbsdown:
The problem with voice maskign for everybody is the people who use the really annoying tones of voice, such as the whiny child. *shudder* But hey, thank God for the mute option. And the cool thing about Live is once youm ute somebody, it won't ever unmute them until you say so--it keeps your settings on the HD. :D
I hope I provided some answers for ya, Tony. :emoji_thumbsup:

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Everyone's experiences will be different, but I will tell you that for me, Xbox Live has been nothing short of revolutionary. Games that I enjoyed but wasn't crazy about (like MotoGP) have become games that I can't get enough of when playing online against other people. And games that I really liked (like MechAssault)? Fuggedaboudit...we're talking full-blown, stay up to ungodly hours, drag myself through the work day, all I can think about is getting home to play, obsession. My brother-in-law has it even worse; he came over to play Moto online one night, and the next day he ordered a cable modem. In the 5 days that he has been Live, he's averaged maybe 4 hours of sleep per night.
It is INSANELY fun. And playing against the forum members here is fantastic as well. It was a real thrill for me to finally meet up with our friend Romier in MechAssault, although to be honest the novelty started to wear after the 12th time his Catapult fragged me. :D
I would urge you to go for it, but be warned: your gameplaying time will triple overnight. As will your coffee intake the next day... :)

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
It says somewhere in the fine print of xbox live(can't remember where) that they will automatically charge your credit card the yearly fee (whatever that may be) when the subscription is over.

So everyone will be charged the yearly fee at the end of their subscription unless they cancel before.

*I see lots of very angry people in the future*

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Ka-thud!

EDIT: I personally dont want to see Microsoft charge us $10 a month. I really dont think they will. It seems like they really want to keep us happy. I think the majority of the subscribers wouldnt mind paying an additional $50 for a year. Uh, I mean to pay $50 not pay $100.

If it did come down to paying monthly, $5 or $7 a month isnt too bad. I dont like the idea of paying $120 a year if they go for $10. Lets just pray that doesnt happen.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
It was a real thrill for me to finally meet up with our friend Romier in MechAssault, although to be honest the novelty started to wear after the 12th time his Catapult fragged me.

You know the death phrase, the whole HTF does....SUP POISON!;)
Whenever you hear Sup, here I come!
All comedy aside, it really is a complete and total joy playing with you guys. I would not be anywhere near as into allot of these online games as I am if I wasn't for the people I play with in this forum. Some great times are had when we are online.
EDIT: By the way, I've named my Catapult Douggie.:D

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
It was a real thrill for me to finally meet up with our friend Romier in MechAssault, although to be honest the novelty started to wear after the 12th time his Catapult fragged me.
Yeah that punk ass is pretty deadly with his Catapult isn't he :D
Dean

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I cannot say enough good things about playing online with XBL. Ghost Recon online is absolutely incredible, especially with players you know.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
I look forward to getting home and playing as well. Hell, just got back from lunch and picked up a used copy of MotoGP so I can build a bike and unlock tracks.
Sean Moon,
I come from the old school of UT :D We should hook up for some CTF. I'm still learning the levels though, and my aim is still making a transition (auto-aim is for wussies) from mouse to controller. I thought it would be easier, since I've logged many hours in Halo, but that's not the case with this fast paced game. I also hit jump WAY to much by accident...
Get off the fence Tony, "Just Do It" :emoji_thumbsup:
Mike D.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Oy. Just hearing "Sup, Poison" again made my stomach clench and my head swing around looking for a barrage of rockets coming my way. When you hear that phrase, ask not for whom the bell tolls...it tolls for thee... :)

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I also notice that most people are shunning the voice-mask feature. Why is that? Just curious. Does it suck or something?
Can't stand it. :thumbsdown: As soon as I hear some clown with a kid or robot voice they're muted instantly. I always use my own voice (which is actually pretty deep and one player thought I was using masking). So, yes, in my opinion the voice masking sucks. Although I would like to experiment and hear what they all sound like just for kicks, but I don't think that's possible (only others can hear you).
All in all I think XBL is turning out to be a great product. It's easy to sign up and sign in, and the games that I've played run smoothly. The onus I think will be on the developers to write code that allows for solid framerates at all times. I've had a lot of fun over this short time, particularly with MotoGP which really surprised me. It's a very different dynamic racing against people vs. AI. There's more satisfaction when you pass someone and win. The downside is that there are some seriously talented players out there that make the All Thumb's League a brilliant idea. You'll appreciate that more the first time you get your ass handed to you by a girl in MechAssault. :b

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Although I would like to experiment and hear what they all sound like just for kicks, but I don't think that's possible (only others can hear you).
You can actually do this in the options for MotoGP. Just select a voice mask and talk. You'll hear yourself.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
You know, I don't even have an XBox but hearing you guys talk about your experiences makes me wish I did. My brother does but he's not too interested in Live at this point, though I'm currently working on changing that :). We were at Funco last night just looking around and something came to me. Right now, you pay $50 and get the year of service. The talk is that the rate could be $10 a month after that. What's to stop people from cancelling their subscription as they near the end of their service and then just buying a new Live kit? Unless the change the starter package (which could happen), I'm sure most people would rather pay $50 for a year than $120. The only drawback I can think of is you lose your tag, but for $70 I doubt many will care.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Thanks for all the input folks!! It's appreciated! Sounds like Live is worth it. Now I just gotta convince the boss. (read: the wife) ;)
(And I'm sure I can convince her on purchasing the Live kit... it's the wireless router and bridge that she's not gonna be pleased about...snicker)

JayV

Supporting Actor
The downside is that there are some seriously talented players out there
Then you folks should and your name to the list. All my games with HTF members have been fun, whether they're in the All Thumbs League or not.
Still, there is something liberating about coming clean and saying "My name is JayV and I'm no good."
XBL observations:
+ availability of HTF folks/friends list
+ voice comm
+ new experience (for me, at least)
+ MGP may be a demo, but I call it two-wheeled crack
+ surprising variety in launch titles
- occasional lag problems with GR
- XBL interface is not standardized (yes, MGP should be the model)
- communicator's behind the head design is stupid
- communicator is delicious -- my dog ate mine (really!)
-j

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks