What's new

XBox jaggies on new HDTV (1 Viewer)

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
So...I just got a new Sony KD-34XS955 34" TV. I bought the component cables for my XBox, set the XBox to display 480p, 720p, and 1080i (depending on the game), and popped in a game that is 720p capable. Much to my surprise, there were jaggies everywhere. I tried a 420p game with the same results. I've turned off all velocity modulation and turned down the sharpness, but I have no idea what else I can do. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any help, and I'm sorry if this should have been posted in the Videogames forum. I wasn't sure.

John S

Senior HTF Member
And you display definetly indicates you are getting 720P from the xbox? If so, I have no clue, I have seen HD Games, most look really great a few just no so great.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
From what I understand games will have jaggies regardless of output resolution. It's a limitation of the current state of gaming graphics, not the quality of your display. The jaggies can be minimized but not eliminated.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Normall you dont see the jaggies because its blurred by the analog TV set.

When you hook up the Xbox to display at full resolution, you see everything very precisely, all the edges are no longer blurred so now, you see the sharp edges of the polygons, the jaggies.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
That's good to know. I always wondered why Halo 2 looked worse on my large HDTV than on the 24" Analog in the bedroom.

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
A large high quality display will bring out the good and also the bad in whatever you're viewing. Hopefully game console makers will incorporate anti-aliasing technology in their next crop of consoles if they haven't already. Going from a 56" CRT rear projection to a 60" LCD rear projection images are much sharper but jagged edges in games are much more visible.

Tyson Wetzel

Stunt Coordinator
The relatively low resolution and "jaggies" isn't so much a limitation of the software as it is the limited amount of space on a dvd based game system. There could potentially be a game with full HD pic quality if it had only say 2 levels instead of 16. HD DVD or BluRay based game systems could be the next step in video resolution for gaming.

dan fritzen

Second Unit
I have the 34XBR800 and I do not notice jaggies for the most part for 720p games. I do remember trying one of teh baseball games that was 720p and the pitcher and mound where smooth without jaggies but the background was full of jaggies.

Games like MX unleashed should not have jaggies or they should be minimized.

I can tell what resolution i am in by the inability to zoom 720p or 1080i, can you verify the same and what titles are you testing.

That Matrix game with HD support is terrible looking regardless of the resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks