What's new

Xbox audio ripping question (1 Viewer)

Dave Sabo

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I know when you rip audio from CD to Xbox, it's saved on the drive in WMA format correct?

If so, will it also play WMA's directly off of a cd? Or does it need to be on the internal drive and have been ripped by the Xbox itself. I'm wondering if write them on my PC and play right off the cd on the Xbox.

Hope that made sense

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
It makes sense, but the XBOX won't read CDR's. I've heard conflicting reports as to whether it reads CDRW's....I'm sure someone has that info and can chime in about that.

It would be nice because the BOX is butt slow when it comes to track ripping.

Dave Sabo

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply.

Got home from work and gave it a shot and you are correct, it won't read a cd-r. Oh well, I was just trying to avoid running the cable from the PC to the Receiver to play my audio files.

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
The Xbox will read CDRWs. The cdrw needs to be encoded as an audio cd. I don't think the Xbox will read WMAs off the cd. I use Imation 650MB/74MIN CDRWs. Also, if you think the XBox is slow ripping original audio cds, wait till you rip a CDRW. It takes even longer.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Semi off-topic, but am I the only one who thinks that a CDDB service would be a great little addition to Xbox Live? I'd like to be able to name everything on my HD, but not if I have to do it with a gamepad one track at a time...

Damien

Supporting Actor
You can rip mp3's with MEMOREX CD-RW's...i use easy creator and it works

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
Chris,

I totally agree. I was just about to go mad typing in the Album title and all of the names of the tracks of the 2 CD's that I've put on my Xbox thus far. It could get really ugly if I had to do a lot more.

Glen

Dave Sabo

Stunt Coordinator
Well I opted for a 3 dollar adapter and a 10 dollar cable to get the digital audio out of my SBLive to my receiver. Everything is already cataloged and sorted in playlists on the PC, so that ended up being the most simple solution for me. Now I just need to pick up one of those IRMan thingamajiggies so I can use the remote with Mediaplayer.
Thanks for all the input everyone. :emoji_thumbsup:

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Can someone tell me how I should put MP3s onto a CDRW? Do I need to have them in WAV format? I'll be using a Memorex disc.

~T

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Thi, you need to burn it like an audio CD so yes, they'll be converted to wav files. The likes of Nero should do this automagically for you if you tell it you want to create an "audio cd".

Dan B

Screenwriter
Thi, yes you will be able to re-use the CD-RW. That's why they call them CD-RW. :) RW=rewritable.
-Dan

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I burned one song onto the CD and it worked. I am unable to delete it though. So Dan, you are saying I will be able to write over that song?

~T

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Just as a side note, I was able to rip 2 audio discs from CDR with no problems at all. Just blind luck?

Dan B

Screenwriter
I burned one song onto the CD and it worked. I am unable to delete it though. So Dan, you are saying I will be able to write over that song?
Yes, what you need to do is re-format the CD-RW. There will probably be 2 options, these are what the program I use (Nero) has:

1) Quick erase. This will make the CD-RW appear blank so that you can write on it again. This is what I always use.

2) Full erase. This actually erases everything on the CD-RW, so it takes longer.

Hope that is helpful.

-Dan

Dan B

Screenwriter
Just as a side note, I was able to rip 2 audio discs from CDR with no problems at all. Just blind luck?
Maybe. There are a couple of sites which have compiled listings of CD-Rs & what programs were used to burn them that people have & haven't had luck with. I will try to find the link & post that today.

I haven't had any luck with CD-Rs myself, even the ones that some people have had success with, so it's hit and miss.

-Dan

Bret K

Auditioning
I was actually able to put some .wma(windows media audio) files along with .wav files(the ones on audio cds) onto a cd-rw and copy them to the x-box. I was very surprised this worked. Later this week, I'm going to try and test it out some more.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I have tried a plethora of different cd-rs and cd-rws and none of them ever worked. I tried multiple programs and session types.
The Microsoft hate me? Everyone else does. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks