What's new

Xbox as Main Dvd Player? (1 Viewer)

MorganT

Auditioning
Since the price of the XBox is so low ($149 refurb at ebgames), I figure I might as well get it as my main DVD player to go with my Onkyo HT-S760.

How good is the quality of the XBox surround sound with the Advanced AV Pack?

Will the Advanced AV Pack be able to play true 6.1 on capable DVDs?

Is the Xbox dvd quality just as good?

Is there a Universal remote that will control the XBox thru the dongle?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks.

Rick Jones

Grip
Your honestly better off spending the $150 on a stand alone. You also have to buy the remote pack to use it. My brother also has an xbox with the dvd kit and i tried it on my setup. Nothing too special at all, i'm sure for the same price you can get alot better, it's not even progressive scan.

Though this is assuming your using it just for DVD's. If you plan to play games as well go out and get one asap, it's a great system with some killer software, and an awesome online component.

Paul_Ptaaty

Stunt Coordinator
I would recommend the xbox high def pack so you can have 5.1 DD sound, and slightly upgraded picture. I don't know if the 480p and 720p outputs are available without it.

As far as its capability as a DVD player....horrible, well actually better than a PS2 but far worse than my old Toshiba interlaced or far far worse than the Panny RP62 ($100 if you can find it)

I saw SERIOUS artifacting with the xbox DVD on a HD set. Not recommended, but will work decent for smaller directview CRTs.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Xbox DVD quality is decent but..

- You can't turn it off from the remote
- It has fans running during operation
- Xbox has the chroma bug and it's horrible when it appears
- for $89 or so you can get a new Panasonic progressive standalone.

The remote has an RCA or Philips chipset. I control my Xbox through my universal using one of those codes.

MorganT

Auditioning
What's the Chroma bug?

I just have a crappy 27" TV in my room now, no HD, so I think I will be ok with no progressive scan. Have any of you tried the Advanced AV pack or HD pack with the surround sound?

And yes, I do plan on playing the games too. :D

Im sure I can rig the Xbox to power on/off with the remote from xbox-scene.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
MorganT: I admit it! I am using an Xbox as my primary DVD but I would not recommend anyone else doing it. It is only a "stop-gap" solution and very capable DVD players can be had "dirt-cheap" these days! Video and audio quality is mediocre at best, and not suited for a true HT setup. As for me, I'm saving up for a Denon 2900. "Morgan, Just Say No!"

p.s. Welcome to the HTF!

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
If you're planning to buy an Xbox to be your DVD player, I'd say no for reasons already mentioned.

However, if you already have one and want to watch DVDs on it, go for it. I use my Xbox as my DVD player and it works great for me, but I just have a plain 27" TV and "average" 5.1 setup. It's perfect for my needs but when I upgrade my TV and HT area, I'll be getting a new stand alone DVD player. I dunno what the chroma bug is though, I never noticed any real video problems on my TV

BobbyS

Grip
i used a modchipped xbox as my main dvd player, the modchip always me to put the xbox in progressive scan mode, in addition to some other things like player jpgs/mp3s etc streamed from my computer's hd, which is all impossible with the stock xbox

quality decent, not like a retail 150$ prog scan dvd but still very very nice

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
I would say no just for the sheer fact that it has either 1 or 2 noisy fans going off during the entire time. If you enjoy your HT and all its great sound effects, you would probably do much better w/ a stand alone.

Paul_Ptaaty

Stunt Coordinator
I mean yeah get it for the games and if you are going be renting movies every so often on DVD because they are out of VCR tapes....

I love my xbox for the games and I do have the HD pack, but it just doesn't compare to even mediocre stand alone players because of the lower visual quality, noisy fan, no power off on the remote, etc.

On a 27" TV w/ modest 5.1 it works fine and for those that really don't care too much about getting the best quality DVD experience it is also ok. My parents have a PS2 (even worse for DVD playback) as their main player and it works OK for them, but they only own 1 or 2 dvds with a non HD 36" CRT and an old low powered Kenwood prologic receiver...and they would never think of using the internet to research A/V gear.

my 2 cents

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks