What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

X-Box connection help (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I'm getting an X-Box for Christmas and I'm wondering how I'm going to plug the thing in? I have 2 HD component inputs on my 57H84 Tosh, one currently used by my DVD player, the other for my cable box. Is there some sort of splitter or adapter or something that will allow me to connect all 3? I don't want to have to switch out plugs everytime I want to play.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
You'll need a component switcher. There are various options made by third party video game accessory makers. Some people have had good results with the standard audio-video switch boxes at Radio Shack and wind up paying around 15.00.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Does your receiver do component switching? That would be the easiest solution.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Either of the above are your only solutions. If your cable box is running HD as well then opt to run that straight into a dedicated input, and the DVD/Xbox through a switcher. Reason being many switchers and receivers cannot support the full bandwidth of HDTV so you will see signal loss, whereas 480p from your DVD player or Xbox will be fine. There are a handful of 1080i Xbox games but if you are forced to choose what signal you are going to preserve HDTV is a better bet in my opinion. YMMV.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

If you have a receiver, no. It means you have to switch multiple items (receiver for audio, component switcher for video and then the TV set for component). If you have a receiver with component switching, then that solves messing with multiple selectors. The higher end component switchers from Audio Authority and Zektor have component and digital audio inputs but those are 200.00 and up. I believe one of the third party video game peripheral makers released a 100.00 unit with component and digital audio switching. Can't remember the brand though.

You could probably use that switch for coax, but then the XBox has optical for its digital audio. Plus you'd have to have one end adapted for RF connection and the other RCA.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter

Oh yeah. I forgot that digital coaxial connections for audio are of a different connector.

I think i was thinking something a bit different from waht you stated. My bad.

MikeGee

Second Unit
sorta off topic here.. but my brother was going to be getting that same tv... any one run eitehr an Xbox off a RPTV? I just was wondering what the picture quality is like when you play on those.. i heard horror stories about burning the screen when you play games.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Heh, Mike, I can see you're a new member so I'm sure everyone will go easy on you with that question. It all depends on how you calibrate the set. If you set the contrast and brightness levels properly for your RPTV, you wont have to worry about Burn-in.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, I didn't have time to go to Radio Shack. I picked up a Component kit with a plug-in box and cable at Fry's, but I don't think this is really a switcher since it only has one pair of component inputs as well. I'll probably just end up taking it back.

My receiver has no component inputs at all and only one optical audio input which I use for DVD. I'm still using one I bought back in '98. I really should upgrade, but I kept replacing other stuff instead and never got around to the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks