What's new

X Box, and who is using it> (1 Viewer)

Richard Gray

Stunt Coordinator
This is a copy of another thread that I posed in the Audio Sources area. What are you using your XBoxes for? Would it be for playing DVD's, Playing CD's, or Games (of course!)

I thought I would ask this as part of my HT upgrade path. As I am not sure if it would be wise to use an X Box for all it's possible purposes. Such as primary DVD Player....

Several print and web based review sites reported the Microsoft X Box was a decent DVD Player. Does anyone use it as a primary DVD or CD Player? If so what are your experiences?

Since the X Box has some excellent games it might have found its way into a few of your systems. What do you think of it as a gaming system. I have read on some of the computer gaming sites that they love it's graphics, but that the games are overpriced and considered shallow. I have been a long time PC Gamer and it seems like a natural upgrade to me, but...what give me a little of your time please?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
There are a ton of upcoming titles I'm drooling for, some of which are almost going to As for the existing lineup, the only must-have title for me is Jet Set Radio Future (soon to go OOP!). Most other players have gone ga-ga for Halo as well

Titles to watch out for (at least for me)

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER
Steel Battalion
ToeJam & Earl 3
Soul Calibur 2
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Phantasy Star Online
Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution

James Zos

Supporting Actor
After owning a PS2, I decided to switch to an Xbox simply because the Xbox came closest to matching the graphic and audio power of my PC. I was a big PC gamer until I got hooked on the box and the PS2 just could not compete visually. Other people will tell you they don't like the Xbox BECAUSE it is too much like a PC. To each his own I guess.
As for software, I think there was a time when the Xbox had a dearth of quality titles, but that time is over or about to end, in my opinion. There are many great games coming out for the system and I am still playing Halo, Hunter and UFC on a weekly basis.
As for a CD/DVD player, I don't use my Xbox for either. But I do use it as a jukebox, because you can rip entire CDs onto it and arrange the songs anyway you like. Perfect if you want to play a compilation when guests come over.
Some may respond to your thread by insisting that the Xbox is doomed to fail. At this point, even if it does eventually go the way of the Dreamcast, I feel I've gotten more than my money's worth. I have forgotten all about my PC when it comes to gaming. It's all Xbox now baby.
(Now if only GTA3 would come out for the Xbox ... sniff, sniffle.)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I only use my Xbox as a gaming system. I don't need to use it as anything else because I've already got a stand-alone dvd player, although it's nice to know that if I ever need a secondary player, I would only need to buy a remote to get it working :)
Since the X Box has some excellent games it might have found its way into a few of your systems. What do you think of it as a gaming system. I have read on some of the computer gaming sites that they love it's graphics, but that the games are overpriced and considered shallow.
Shallow, eh? Apparently these people haven't seen Steel Battalion :) But seriously, I think because the Xbox has some measure of technical superiority, some people find it comforting to try and convince themselves that it's an "all looks, no play" system, which I don't agree with. As for what I think of it as a system, I love it. I've been having lots of fun with the games and I think it's only going to get better. I haven't had any trouble finding games that appealed to me and they look and sound great, plus I LOVE the hard drive because the whole concept of needing memory cards for anything but transporting save games to someone else's place gives me a headache :)

Richard Gray

Stunt Coordinator
These are some interesting responses. I was a big time PC Gamer for several years and just got burned out by too much Quake III, Unreal Tournament, Diablo II, Need for Speed...the list goes one for miles. So, like many of you (us) here on the forum I have superseded my lust for games with movies, and music. But, having a pretty darned good gaming console around seems like a necessity.

My quandary is should I get into the 'Box' as my sole input device, or do the DVD-A/SACD thing along with the X?

There is still that question is anyone using their X Boxes for watching DVD's???

James Zos

Supporting Actor
"There is still that question is anyone using their X Boxes for watching DVD's???"

Richard, you might try a thread with that question in the title. My guess is you'd get a better response.
All I can tell you is that the Xbox is supposed to be far superior to the PS2 when it comes to playing DVDs. The PS2 is quite noisy, and the Xbox is quieter.
Still the Xbox is not nearly as quiet as my regular Panasonic DVD player, which you might want to bear in mind. And while the box can display games in progressive scan, it can not, for some reason, display movies that way. So if you have an HDTV or are thinking about getting one, you would definitely want to get a progressive scan DVD player. If not, then you aren't missing out on anything there.
As far as CDs, I can't tell the difference playing CDs on my Panasonic, and playing ripped CDs on the Xbox, so my sense is that it would make a decent CD player.
Good luck getting some better responses.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I love my X-Box and find the gaming to be anything but shallow. Halo is a revelation and I have enjoyed nearly every game I have rented for the system and more (Spiderman, Hunter, Dead or Alive 3, Moto GP, NHL Hitz) in addition to the titles I own (Halo, Oddworld, Morrowind and World Series Baseball)...the sound on a 5.1 system is out of this world and I truly consider the X-Box to be one of my best purchases in 2002 so far...hours upon hours of great gaming fun.

As for using it as a CD player/DVD player...I use it for neither because I don't want to run the risk that it might break down by using it for multiple purposes instead of what it was intended for...gaming! However, I do use it as my backup DVD player. Once, my 3 year old Sony developed a problem with the trey door (wouldn't open). Thank god I got the DVD package for the X-Box based on this contingency. I think the X-Box stacks up very well as an interlaced DVD player only...with other interlaced players. Like others have mentioned, it won't do progressive and I don't think it does DTS either. But it serves me well as a very capable backup.

Richard Gray

Stunt Coordinator
"is anyone using their X Boxes for watching DVD's???"
James, That is a great idea. There will be a new thread on this in a few minutes.
;)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I use XBOX as my main DVD player (because... I'm cheap :) ). I can tell you that it is a much better interlaced player than my old RCA (circa 1997) and DOES pass a DTS signal when watching a movie. I consider XBOX one of my best electronics purchases this year... CD ripping is a little slow, but works great.
All the games I have played for the system have been GREAT and I LOVE all the games that I own (Halo, Jet Set Radio Future, and Project Gotham Racing). Project Gotham also lets you use your own music ripped from CDs while playing :) Plus think of all the great games that are coming out: Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Crazy Taxi 3, Panzar Dragoon Orta, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, R6: Splinter Cell, Brute Force, Blinxx: The Time Sweeper, Kung Fu Chaos, XBOX Live! and more titles that I can't remember off the top of my head :D

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
Games only for me. I was able to scratch together the cash for an HD set, so progressive scan is a must for watching movies, and Xbox doesn't have this ability. Noise is also a factor. While it may be more quiet than the PS2, it's definitely noisy. This would be a distraction for me in music/movie use.

As for game depth, I've got 30+ hrs in on JSRF, and who knows how many with Halo, thanks primarily to multiplayer mode. That said, I'm defintely looking forward to having more titles to browse through.

T

Leo

Second Unit
I use my Xbox to play the games for it. There are quite a few titles coming that I'm looking forward to - Panzer, Dead To Rights, Brute Force, Enclave. I tend to keep my gaming setup separate from my home theater (I have a dedicated home theater in my basement My home theater

Richard Gray

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks All,
It's my intention to pick up a "Box" pretty soon, but I was wondering if it was all Microsoft wanted us to believe. Since most of you have been using it as a Gaming Machine only that is where it's place will be at my house. Thanks again;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks