What's new

Wynona Ryder in court 10/28/2002 (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I would also bet that there will be an appeal which will overturn the decision, citing some obscure procedural error. The AP have already gone after the judge for mishandling the jury questionaires. This is far from over.

I would lay odds that the DA will be found out to have a vendetta, the case overturned, and Ryder wins a multimillion dollar civil suit against him - then finds out he's her brother.

I mean, that's how it would play out on the soaps...

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Guilty??!! The agony!!!!
On the other hand, she can always do some "community service" around my house.....:D

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
But its not really her brother, its her brothers evil twin who mysteriously disappeared in a yachting accident 5 years ago. They thought he was dead but they never found the body.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
what's the difference between felony grand theft (found guilty) and burglary (found not guilty)?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Winonas just doing this whole thing for street cred.
Or maybe she WAS actually trying to land a role...in Chained Heat 7!
The prosecution has announced that it won't be seeking jail time, only community service and restitution.
It's interesting on a day when there have been at least two major international tragedies taking the lives of 30 people, that a shoplifting case is the major story. :rolleyes

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

First off, lets get things straight....
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

It's interesting on a day when there have been at least two major international tragedies taking the lives of 30 people, that a shoplifting case is the major story.
Hollywood will always prevail.
Peace Out~:D

Danny R

Supporting Actor
what's the difference between felony grand theft (found guilty) and burglary (found not guilty)?

Since I have a law enforcement person standing next to me at the moment (Secret Service - no, I'm not that important and need protection, they are just visiting), I asked her what the difference was, and they said it varies by state, but generally felony grand theft is the actual taking of the property (the "felony grand" part based on the dollar amount taken).

Burglary charge means that the whole purpose of her visit was to commit the crime. She went to the store to steal, and didn't just decide to do it while she was there.

Basically its simular to the differences between 1st degree murder and manslaughter. In one you kill someone after plotting it out, and in the other you just do it in the heat of the moment.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Now I can sleep tonight knowing yet another dangerous criminal has been brought to justice.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
And how much money did this entire affair cost? Oh wait, I'm sure it generated CNN, MSNBC, and Entertainment Tonight a boatload of money.

What a boatload of crap.

Moe.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
To add to what Danny said, the article I read said the jury felt the prosecution wasn't able to prove prior intent, which is why she was acquitted on the burglary charge.
The prosecution has announced that it won't be seeking jail time, only community service and restitution.
Then why the hell did they spend all that time & money on this?? They probably could have got that with a misdemeanor plea, which is what Ryder's lawyer wanted to do all along. :rolleyes:
Ron, she IS looking fine in that pic!! :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Then why the hell did they spend all that time & money on this??
Well, it probably looked impressive that the DA was taking a celebrity to court... I suspect this was just a ploy for gain in a subject we are forbidden to discuss here, and it ain't religion.
Incidentally, Saks has suggested carrying the "Free Winona" line (including a shopping bag!)....talk about hypocrisy.
http://store6.yimg.com/I/ekay_1714_9281828

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
Then why the hell did they spend all that time & money on this?? They probably could have got that with a misdemeanor plea, which is what Ryder's lawyer wanted to do all along
Ms. Ryder chose not to accept a misdemeanor plea deal that the DA offered. If you want them not to prosecute criminals just to save money I suggest you get a firearm and head for a cave now because its gonna get pretty rough in the world.

KyleS

Screenwriter
I am with Tommy on this one I remembered that she was offered a deal and turned it down thinking she would get off if it went to court. I am not happy on the amount of resources/money the DA spent to prosecute but they still should have gone after anyone that didn't accept a plea agreement and not just let them go. Hopefully her sentencing will include psychiatric help as well as community service. If that story about Saks is true its just sick and wrong. Hey they wouldn't do that for a regular customer.

KyleS

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
It seems the press doesn't have your recollection, as most of the people I've seen discuss this case write it off as a frivolous waste of taxpayer money because the DA did NOT offer a lesser plea. However, the press has been known to have a short memory when it comes to some things.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Ms. Ryder chose not to accept a misdemeanor plea deal that the DA offered.
I have only heard that she was not offered a misdemeanor. Do you have a link that details the refusal of a misdemeanor plea offer?

I've heard several commentators remark that since she was not offered a misdemeanor she had nothing to lose by going to trail.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks