HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Say you go to pay for a rental car and you realize the only way to do it is through their app...

The way it works now is you would need to figure out what the app is, download it, then probably set up an account.

With App Clips you would scan a QR code and the portion of the app you need would pop up on your phone, in this case just the part that lets you pay. Boom. Done.

Ok, that makes sense and sounds quite useful. Thank you.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
CalDigit makes excellent products. I have the original TS3 and TS3 Plus docks.
This TS3 Plus is pretty slick. My office computer at work is inside the side of my desk, to keep desktop clutter down, but then it needs to have 6-8 cables coming out of the back of the desk. One of these could reduce it to 1 or 2 and have the dock on the desk to break everything out. I'd need a 2M cable, but it sounds like you've been using one yourself. According to CalDigit, it just needs to be 40Gb/s and 100w, which looks to cost about $60-65. Not exactly cheap, but an elegant option.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This TS3 Plus is pretty slick. My office computer at work is inside the side of my desk, to keep desktop clutter down, but then it needs to have 6-8 cables coming out of the back of the desk. One of these could reduce it to 1 or 2 and have the dock on the desk to break everything out. I'd need a 2M cable, but it sounds like you've been using one yourself. According to CalDigit, it just needs to be 40Gb/s and 100w, which looks to cost about $60-65. Not exactly cheap, but an elegant option.

The only thing it won't do -- which CalDigit has assured me it should do -- is run two large monitors at once from my MBP. With a USB-C and a display port connection, I cannot get it to work.

Other than that, the dock works great for everything else.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The only thing it won't do -- which CalDigit has assured me it should do -- is run two large monitors at once from my MBP. With a USB-C and a display port connection, I cannot get it to work.

Other than that, the dock works great for everything else.
Actually, I was going to ask you about that. By "big" do you mean 4K? I think it has to be a Thunderbolt 3 cable connected to the one downstream TB3 port, not USB-C. I think I saw that somewhere on their site. I'm guessing you get the Displayport one to work?

I use dual WQHD monitors (2560x1440) and I could keep one hdmi coming from the computer, if I needed to.

(EDIT): Somewhere on their site, the 10Gb/s USB-C port on the back does say "Data Only" which I understood to mean no monitor support.

If I get it, which I probably will, I'll let you know if I get it to drive two WQHD monitors.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Actually, I was going to ask you about that. By "big" do you mean 4K? I think it has to be a Thunderbolt 3 cable connected to the one downstream TB3 port, not USB-C. I think I saw that somewhere on their site. I'm guessing you get the Displayport one to work?

I use dual WQHD monitors (2560x1440) and I could keep one hdmi coming from the computer, if I needed to.

(EDIT): Somewhere on their site, the 10Gb/s USB-C port on the back does say "Data Only" which I understood to mean no monitor support.

No, I haven't gotten either to work. I have to plug each cable directly into my MBP USB-C port

One is a display port cable and the other is a USB-C

So I need a thunderbolt on one of those two connections?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No, I haven't gotten either to work. I have to plug each cable directly into my MBP USB-C port

One is a display port cable and the other is a USB-C

So I need a thunderbolt on one of those two connections?
I edited my previous post to add a couple things.

Currently, I am using the included cable and driving one monitor from the dock through displayport.

I think the problem might be the inherent confusion between USB-C and TB3, since they appear to use the same cables, but the cables are actually different. Sorry if you know this. First, the cable to the dock has to be 40Gb/s 100w TB3. Then, I believe I saw in the specs on their site or in a response to a customer inquiry that the second monitor has to be connected to the TB3 output on the back of the dock and use a TB3 cable, not just a USB-C cable.

You can make certain the dock is being recognized correctly by checking the system report. Apple>About This Mac>System Report>Thunberbolt. The TS3 Plus should show up in Thunderbolt. If it doesn't, and shows up under USB, then the cable is damaged or not TB3 spec. BTW, the audio of the TS3 Plus will show up in the USB menu.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I edited my previous post to add a couple things.

Currently, I am using the included cable and driving one monitor from the dock through displayport.

I think the problem might be the inherent confusion between USB-C and TB3, since they appear to use the same cables, but the cables are actually different. Sorry if you know this. First, the cable to the dock has to be 40Gb/s 100w TB3. Then, I believe I saw in the specs on their site or in a response to a customer inquiry that the second monitor has to be connected to the TB3 output on the back of the dock and use a TB3 cable, not just a USB-C cable.

You can make certain the dock is being recognized correctly by checking the system report. Apple>About This Mac>System Report>Thunberbolt. The TS3 Plus should show up in Thunderbolt. If it doesn't, and shows up under USB, then the cable is damaged or not TB3 spec. BTW, the audio of the TS3 Plus will show up in the USB menu.

The problem is that I am probably not using a TB cable just a standard USB-C

I don't want to spend the money on another TB cable, though yesterday, I thought long and hard about buying the new 2 meter for $130.

I just semi bypass the dock and connect 1 cable coming out from the display port on the dock and then go directly from the other monitor to the MBP directly using USB-C cable. I think that is how I do it. It's no biggie to do it this way.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's why the monitors don't work. You have to use a full 40Gb/s TB3 cable to the dock and the second monitor have to use a TB3 cable from the TB3 output on the back of the dock.. You can get a suitable 2M cable from OWC for $65 and I've seen ones from Cable Matters for around $60.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member

Former ex-Intel engineer shares his thoughts. It has been alarming over the last few years that Intel hasn't just had bugs, but major security flaws baked into its architecture.

If the rumored ARM iMac is reasonably priced I may decide to get an entry level one. I love my Win10 PC and it's a gaming beast...but I do miss when I'm doing work on it (mostly Office apps) being able to instantly reply to texts on my iPhone like when I'm on my laptop. Yes, that means I'm seriously contemplating buying an iMac so I don't have to look at my phone when doing desktop work. :laugh:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That's why the monitors don't work. You have to use a full 40Gb/s TB3 cable to the dock and the second monitor have to use a TB3 cable from the TB3 output on the back of the dock.. You can get a suitable 2M cable from OWC for $65 and I've seen ones from Cable Matters for around $60.

Thanks for the help John. I will just keep it as is for now.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My wife is getting due for a new iMac. It will be interesting to see what the options are late this year or maybe early next.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks