What's new

WSB: How do I get opponents to score more runs? (1 Viewer)

Manuel

Stunt Coordinator
Let me start out by saying that I do not think I am that good. I have adjusted the game so that I am scoring 3-5 runs a game average now. My problem is the game scoring against me. I have the game set to All-Star, fast pitching, no strike zone, and I alternate with the ball cursor on/off. On my current franchise I am the Dodgers and did not alter the pitching staff. The last 10 games of the season I scored around 80 runs and had about 5 scored against me. During the playoffs I only lost 1 game against the Mets 6-5. I won 2 games 1-0 but the rest I won by 7-8 runs. What do you guys think? Have you guys found it too easy to win?

Thanks

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
One thing you should definitely do is turn on the variable pitching option. Otherwise, you can pinpoint your pitches all the time. With variable pitching on, sometimes that hanging slider over the corner, hangs in the middle of the plate, and gets pasted over the wall by the computer. I always play with varible pitching on.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Even with variable pitching on, the game is still too easy. I play using franchise mode. I play all-star level with variable pitching on, fast pitch speed, no ball indicator, small batting circle.

Through 72 games in franchise mode, I'm something like 49-23. I'm not quite as good as Manuel however. I hit about 1.3 homers per game on average and score about 5 runs per game. However, Greg Maddux threw a no-hitter against me and I still lose the odd game 7-1 or something like that. Most games I win are like 8-3 or worse. I have 49 wins, but my closer only has 16 saves because most wins are blowouts. When I lose, it's usually 3-2 or something like that, but I occasionally lose big. If I have a mediocre pitcher on the mound (Mosato Yoshii, or Dave Mlicki) up against a stud (Randy Johnson, Maddux, Colon), I usually find it a challenge to pull out a victory. When I throw a ball right over the heart of the plate, the computer usually makes me pay with a homer against.

Things I have found out about the game I don't like include...

When I have a runner on first and third, I can steal with the guy on first and the catcher will never even attempt to throw the runner out because he's worried about the guy from third scoring.

No weather effects. I would have liked to have seen some day games have overcast skys or showers instead of perfect weather all the time.

Computer A.I. is not good enough. I cannot tell you the number of times when I have been pitching and give up a single. The next batter hits a pop foul to the first base side. The runner on first goes halfway in between first and second only to be easily doubled off by a throw to the pitcher covering first. Why does that runner take a lead? Even if the ball is dropped, it's a foul ball and he cannot advance. Instead, it's an easy double play. Weird.

Overall, I still get a lot of enjoyment from the game, but it could have been better.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
When I have a runner on first and third, I can steal with the guy on first and the catcher will never even attempt to throw the runner out because he's worried about the guy from third scoring.
God that's weird, I remember playing World Series baseball like ten years ago for the Sega Genesis and it used to do that all the time.
You'd think they'd have ironed that out by now. :)
It still burns me up that there's a baseball game that I can't play (no Xbox). :)

Manuel

Stunt Coordinator
I guess that I will have to play with the ball cursor off all the time. Also, I do have variable pitching on. I wished that all sports games had the sliders like in NCAA football to where you can customize the difficulty ofall aspects of the game. By the way, NCAA football is almost out!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks