What's new

Wow, the Russians finally raised the Kursk.. (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Wonder if there's going to be some kind of Discovery channel special on this "Raising the Kursk" or something but that sounds like an interesting engineering task.
I still get goosebumps to think of what those poor soldiers were going through when it sank.
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Interesting that they would raise it, though its mission is no different than that of ships and submarines from all navies around the world. Trying to paint it as a terrorist device is alarmist propaganda. How many dozens of nuclear subs does the US have positioned in striking distance of countries around the world? Are they terrorist threats too?
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Let's keep the politics OUT OF THE THREAD please.
The raising of the Kursk is an interesting technological challenge; from that perspective, it can certainly be debated here.
Politics... will not be, even if the thread needs to be closed.
Mike

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
An amazing feat of engineering, and probably done in rough seas.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Interesting. I'd like to see a documentary on this. It reminds me of the Arthur C. Clarke novel Ghost from the Grand Banks, in which raising the Titanic is discussed in a credible fashion. Well, sounded credible to a non-engineer like me... :)
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
The one article I read yesterday says the barge that is towing the part that they raised is trying to beat the famous rough seas so they can take the shortest path to the port. I remember a few articles long time ago, that their window of opportunity is typically short due to the latitude of where it sank, and the rough seas that frequent the area most of the year. Reports saying the tow is supposed to take 2 days to a port outside Murmansk.
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
The headline gives the impression that the Russians used their technology to raise the Kursk. This would be truely amazing as they did not have the technology to get down to rescue the crew.
Well truth be told, in the Wall Steet Journal today it states that a Danish salvage consortium is responsible for bringing up the sub. I had visions of the Russians looking up in the Yellow Pages (err Pink Pages in Russia no?) and calling up Vasili's Nuclear Sub Salvage and Refrigerator Moving Company. A bunch of ex Soviet weight lifters are put on the end of cables attached to the sub and told to do their thing.
Oh, sorry, maybe I am being insensitive to those who have pride in Russian technology.
I am sorry for the sailors.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Link Removed believe it or not, I was flipping the channel last night after watching 'The Amazing Race' and on the Discovery channel at 10PM EST, there was a program called exactly that which I said it should be: Raising the Kursk
They had a bunch of CGI to go along with some consultants and they explained what the Kursk was, it's mission, how the theory went that it sunk and how it was raised and towed to shore. Tom Clancy was a guest speaker as well as a former Russian Military Advisor and some sea salvage experts from MIT and the ilk. Pretty interesting but they didn't go into the technical/engineering details that I would of liked to see about the actual raising. Perhaps they could of split it into two sections, one about the incident itself and one about how they raised it and towed it and stuff...
There is a website I saw on the side of the barge:
www.kursksalvage.com
But I haven't yet checked it out...
Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks