What's new

Wow!! Dishnetwork 921 HD PVR, New Price $549.95!! (1 Viewer)

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik

I think it's a great deal vs. its original $1000 price. In that context, yes, I agree with you.

It is kind of funny, though, to use terms like that when we're talking about passing along a thousand bucks a pop and so forth. Of course, a thousand bucks to you may be like $30 is to me. ;) Just an example of what I mean by how subjective and relative all of this is.

I just find that, personally, the words "Fair", "Steal", and "Bargain" are not ones I can really use very often in the consumer electronics marketplace. These words certainly are exceptions, not the norm, on a whole.

Again, all my comments were general and not directed specifically at you or anyone else.

Like I said just now, I had meant to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek since a lot of those comments also apply to myself. ;) I've been known to uh...jump the gun on some impulse buys in my time as well. :D That feeling of buyer's guilt is something I try to avoid because I've had it happen a few times and it's a miserable feeling.

Anyways, this is all relative depending on your incomes, budgets, etc. etc. Very subjective. For me personally, $550 is too still too rich for my blood for now, although that is worlds more attractive than a grand.

I do like the idea of renting it at $5 a month. That's VERY reasonable to me. Let me repeat my question about that from earlier, since I think it got lost in this mess somewhere:

Also, here's something I've wondered about a lot of rent/lease setups.

Using this as the example, if you pay $5 a month for 110 months, this equals the $550 current retail price.

Do you come to a point where, after you've reached that final figure, you no longer have to pay the monthly fee, or do you simply pay into eternity? How does that work, exactly? For simply as long as you use the equipment? What happens when you decide you're done with the equipment? Trade in to upgrades?

PerryD

Supporting Actor
The only way $5 per month would exist, is if it was subsidised by a Dish Network 2 year agreement. Instead of giving you free hardware valued at $200, you end up paying $120 over two years to "rent" the $550 box in addition to the $50 per month or more for programming. My cable provider is charging me $12.99 per month for my high def DVR which I ultimately find fair. One thing I do find attractive in renting, is that if the unit fails, I call them up and they come out and replace it at no charge. Or if a new 500 Gb unit comes out in a couple years, I call them up and they come out and replace it.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik

Thanks! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Simi, where do you live? Just call your local Radio Shack and ask! ;) Or did I miss a detail here that makes this difficult?

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Lets talk lowest current prices. reguardless of how long a product has flooded the industry or what it "used" to go for.

VCR vs. TV

as opposed to:

HD-DVR vs. HDTV

think of the price relativity. is it worth it? is it reasonable? How bad do you want it? I think somewhere in there is an equation to determine if something is a steal, bargain, or fair. I think it is based on a persons personal worth. Definition of Worth

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Very good. Very fascinating Jean! :) Only thing I'd have to say is you can't disregard either age or supply and demand when discussing any of this. All of this is irrelevant: All that really matters to anyone is: How badly they want it and how much they're willing to pay for it. Nothing else. ;)

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Personally, I dont see enough HD programing to merit me spending that amount on an HD-DVR at this point in time. Besides, you can be sure that when there is enough HD programing out to reconsider getting one, I wont have to spend that much. So at that point in time, I'll probably get one. But one that works with DirecTV, or build a computer hd-dvr.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik

Not very helpful. ;) I re-read the entire thread. I didn't miss any detail at all.

Bob is from California and you're asking him if this deal is only applicable in his part of the country. Then you expanded the question to everyone else.

You never said where you live and I thought maybe my idea of picking up the phone book and making a quick call would clear this mystery up for you. It doesn't help you at all to know what our Radio Shacks are doing or if DISH is doing something in our area.

The only thing that really matters is: Can YOU rent it in YOUR area. ;)

So, unless you've already done it, have you called your local Radio Shack or called Dish yourself. They'll ask for your zip code and you'll be off to the races!

Certainly that has to be quicker than firing off the same question three times on a bulletin board thread, no?

Good luck. :)

SimiA

Second Unit
The only detail you missed.....
You make the assumption in your original question, that I did not call Radio Shack, nor, did I check out their web site.
Thus, your question is based on faulty info.
I got almost the same response as Eric_Connelly.
So, my question still stands.
I want to know what Bob McElfresh, who is an administrator on this site, knows about this Radio Shack deal.
So far, he's not answered.
Vb

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
I believe the $5 being tossed about is the monthly DVR fee for those that don't have a high enough level of qualifying programming to have the fee waived.

Cheers,

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Thanks John! :emoji_thumbsup:

No, it's based on NO information whatsoever. Big difference. Fairly easy to make that conclusion based on the way the entire thread reads, but I'm not going to pull hairs over it.

Sorry I'm not a mind reader where I can figure out what you do in your free time off the board. I can only work with the information given. ;)

That being said, I'd be interested to see Bob's response myself. I expect it to match John's here, but I could be surprised. :)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Having done a bit more research on HD pvrs over the last few days I've come to the conclusion that the Dish model is definitely worth at least $450 less than the DirecTV box.

I'm not ready to spend $1k on a good HD PVR or $550 on a poor one.

There is some validity to Eric's original post. The first HD capable rptvs cost roughly $5000-6000 back in '98, at that time the really good analog rptvs were $2300-2500. I bought in fall of 01, when a good 57" HD-ready set could be had for roughly $3200. The current comparable model is priced at about $2200, or $100-200 less than a good analog model 6 years ago.

In fall of 01, a decent HD-capable DirecTV box was $700, they now can be had for half that. I bought then rather than wait as I could see no logic to having an HD capable set and no HD to watch on it.

I've been enjoying HDTV and 480p anamorphic widescreen dvd for 3 years on that $3200 set and $700 stb, and have gotten my $1350 worth of enjoyment over those 3 years, don't regret not waiting in the least.

Currently, non-HD pvrs typically sell for $199 or so, and while $1k is too much for me to spend on an HD capable model right now, I'm not going to wait until they're down to $199, might take 5 more years. Maybe in a year or two when a good box like the DirecTV model is down to $400-500.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
The spell check is free and available,but it won't help on the "remotely coherent sense" issue. :D

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

I called Dish and they said the only way to get a HD PVR is to find a local retail outlet - then they suggested the local Radio Shack. This is why I DONT think this is just a California thing.

I went into RS and got a brochure with an 800 number, but I was asking the sales person some questions (like is there a 1 yr contract or will they come out and install the larger dish in place of my Dish 500). They called the 800 number for me and handed me the phone - but the lady on the other end sounded ... trained, but not knowledgable. (I am wondering if I was talking to someone in India?)

Anyway - I am spending about $29/month right now for the HD DVR from Adelphia (the price will go up after 3 months). So I was suprised at how affordable it was.

One note: People - please try and keep the comments about the topic and NOT pick apart each others post. We are all on the consumer side here.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I held out a long time on the HD-PVR choice and just last week chose the HDTivo. Even with the recent price drop in the 921, I am so impressed with the HDTivo. Usability by the wife may not be a factor to you, but my new Tivo has passed that test with flying colors.

If the 921 gets name based recording, gets the OTA guide info issues resolved and keeps this low price, you might have a close race. Until then, there is already a clear winner, IMHO.

Peace,

DM

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator
When we moved to Blacksburg, VA from Orwell, VT in June, I stopped by the Adelphia store and was surprised to learn that I could get the Explorer HD-DVR for a small monthly fee.... Fifteen minutes after walking into the joint, I was walking out with a big box of juicy goodness.

That was four months ago. I'm surprised to say that I'm happy overall with the product. It hasn't crashed on me, or exhibited the moody personality that I was expecting from such a new and bleeding edge product. We have a number of HD and SD shows that are recorded regularly, and we don't feel limited by the capacity of the hard drive.

In Vermont, we were happy Dish Network subscribers. I do like the Adelphia offering, but I miss the Dish Network channel guide interface. The Adelphia's channel guide interface and lack of category management features is a real pain in the arse by comparison.

I think the best solution for us is the HD-Tivo. We'll get the polished and wife-friendly user-interface and we won't be married to a particular channel provider.

I'd also like to touch on the topic of each enthusiast's particular home theater budget.... I think we should always try to avoid the issue of economics with regard to commenting on the rationale behind this particular electronics purchase, or that purchase. The fact is, whatever tax bracket we each find ourselves in, most non-enthusiasts in our respective tax brackets would consider many of our purchases absurd :)

Sean.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You will be married to a particular channel provider. The HD-Tivo is a DirecTV only model. The Tivo corporation has not announced a stand alone model. There are rumors of a cable card model but you will be locked into using it with your local cable company.

-Robert

SimiA

Second Unit
sean_pecor, and you thought this was going to be easy, spending large amounts of $$$!!!!
:D
Vb

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks