What's new
World Wide Stereo

Would you get a Sherwood Amplifier? (1 Viewer)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I came across this babyfor $1300. The salesman said that he would cut something off the total price if I get the HK 7300 which is on sale for 1399. I don't know what he'll take off, I guess it's a secret until I come in ready to buy. I have the AVR 500 and I received a mailling from Circuit City about renewing my 5 year service aggreement for the HK 500. Does anyone have this baby, am I going in the right direction in reference to this amp. It will be my first step into seperates for home theater and it looks like a good deal. What do you guys think.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, that's cheaper and I'll use it to see if they would not only price match it but still give me a good price on the 7300.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I used to have the predecessor to that amp, the AM-9080. It was fantastic but it did not have a 12v input trigger which was annoying when I replaced the matching AV-P9080 with an Outlaw 950. I think seperates are tremendous overkill and outside psychoacoustics you won't notice the difference unless you've got very difficult to drive speakers. What's wrong with the AVR-500? I looked it up on the net and it looks like a sweet receiver to me. I have a similar vintage HK3270 stereo receiver in my office/studio and it sounds fantastic. Unless you're itching for more rear channels I suppose...

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
Be careful should you decide to purchase from Reliable AV as they are not an authorized dealer. Make sure you get a valid bill of sale, that the serial numbers are in place and that they have not been defaced.

Jeff

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
More channels and the video processing. I was thinking last night about just sticking with the 7300 and let the receiver do the work. The 500 is still a sweet receiver and it run the Platinum Audio speakers beautifully, but DPLIIx, running all my video through the 7300 including S-video from satellite and scaled through component from the 7300 into the t.v. and 7 channels of sound would make it a very nice upgrade that I can stick for years. I've been using the HK 500 for 5 years and I'm pretty sure the 7300 would probably get as much if not longer than 5 years.

The amp, well..., I guess I can save on the money, heard it yesterday as the guy in the store played Ray, and the amp sound sweet via some Klipsh speakers. A little bright but I think that was the speakers and not the amp but sweet sounding nonetheless.

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
That is a nice amp for a good price. :) If you like to listen loud when watching movies and such,
then the extra punch that amp would provide would likely be noticeable, not to mention the
general sound quality for music would probably go up as well. If you don't crank it up, then
the differences would be less noticeable, but still there.

Personally, I recommend a quality external amp. That boost in power is noticed right away
the first time you turn on that system and start to turn the volume up. The sense of clean
effortless power as the music soars is just wonderful. :)

The Sherwood Newcastle equipment is very well regarded by many here on the HTF who have listened
to or own their gear.

And your receiver can handle all the pre-amp and processing stuff, so it's a great combo.
This is the way we do it. And we also have an HK receiver. :)

John S

Senior HTF Member
My dream has always been to bi-amp each channel, separate amp for highs, and lows... Something like this on an excellent used or refurb or B-stock deal at some point in the future, would probably put me over the top, to attempt that goal with my system. I'd expect any system setup like that, to easily compete in the highest end of the audiophile arena, yet still without that sort of price involved.

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Of course, that would depend on what sort of speakers you are bi-amping. ;)

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well heck, I'd love to try it with what I have now. JBLS38's.... It would take a lil bit of re-engineering though admittedly. I am surprised more people don't do it though. The difference in my pro audio experiences are truelu night and day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks