What's new

Would you buy an Extended Warrantee on a DVD Recorder (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm contemplating the Sony GXR7 and a 4 yr deal is about $200 I Usually do not buy them , because usually by the time tey break it's time to upgrade. But on some more high risk items it could be worth it...whatcha think?

Simon Ngan

Stunt Coordinator
I had a similar situation when I picked up the Pioneer 510H DVD/HD recorder. However, the price for 2 additional years was $50 Canadian. That's even cheaper than a replacement 80GB drive and the reason was this recorder classified as DVD player :)

Anyway, the store I bought it has a policy that if you never use the extended warranty, when it's up you can redeem the $50 toward another purchase. This for sure will get you back to buy something else, but I guess it's fair for us whether to debate to get it or not.

I think the $200 is quite high though on the Sony recorder since it's going for less than $1000 Canadian and I'm sure $200 you're referring to US$?

Thanks,

Simon

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
No way...save your cash for buying blank DVD's and movie!

Geez..by the time your player is past it's prime, the $200 will probably buy an even better machine that's bound to come out in a few short years.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Although my standing rule is don't buy extented warrantees, I did buy one for my Phillips DVR985 because of its reputation for breaking. I got the recorder cheap enough to make it worth the forty or so extra bucks. Turned out to be a good idea.

I did not buy an extended warrantee on my Panasonic E80, partially because of my rule and partially because it was much too expensive - I'm likely to switch recorders again within a year so the added expense made no sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks