Would a 3 female to 1 male RCA adapter allow conversion of component to composite?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Carlos Garcia, May 28, 2005.

1. Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia Screenwriter

I have a problem (see thread below) where I need to try and convert component video to composite. If I have an adapter with 3 RCA plugs in one end and 1 RCA at the other, would I be able to convert my component signals to composite? Thanks for the info.

2. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

No. Even if there were such an adaptor, which I have never seen, the signal produced by combining the 3 outputs through a Y-type adaptor would not resemble a true composite signal enough for your TV to decode it; in fact you could damage the TV and/or the player by doing this. As I see it your choices are two: either run the "Y" line [coded green] of the component feed to your composite input, which would allow you to watch in black-and-white only, or use an RF modulator with component in, and run your video into the antenna inputs via channel 3. [Technically, some models of VCR and similar components would allow you to run an RF signal in and composite out, and I think some DVD recorders allow you to run component in and composite out, but I think these are disabled where Macrovision is involved as it would be on a commercial DVD]. Neither of these is exactly ideal, I know.