Worst feature I have ever seen.. AFF

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chris, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Someone decided to show me their 'beautiful' home theater in a box setup they aquired at Ultimate Electronics recently, an Apex theater in a box (poor) but it offered one setting which proudly touts in the manual:

"Do you dislike black bars? This fixes it!" (paraphrased, but damn close) It's called "AFF" Or Auto-Frame-Fill.

So, you think, well, this is some sort of zoom function, and what a joke, they are messing with the film. But no, it's not even that thoughtful, instead, it just "stretches" the image upwards to fill the screen, so you end up with very skinny distorted figures.

What kind of marketing genious thought of this?

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Worlds better marketing genius than permanently modifying the film at the source to fit the screen.

3. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Yeah, I'd much rather have people buy a machine that does this and have all the dvds OAR only. Sure it's not 'good' pan & scan, but that's an oxymoron anyway.

4. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

Not much different then stretching TV on a widescreen. I can’t watch stretched TV or movies, things just look wrong.

5. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

What people do to the DVD once they get it home is their business. So long as everybody buys WS they can rest their soda on it for all I care.

- Jack