What's new

World Trade Center...reborn? VERY cool design proposal (1 Viewer)

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
That pyramid top looks like an engineering nightmare.It will be too heavy in order to withstand wind shears at the top of the towers. Plus no place to put AC condensers.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Plus no place to put AC condensers.

I think these go atop the 4 outer towers, but below the pyramid.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
The music in the background (Twin Peaks) was kind of disturbing to me.
Interesting concept though. I like the fact that trees would be planted along with the names and pictures of the victims. Don't know if I like the design though. I would also think it might be hard to fill a new WTC due to the fear factor of another terrorist target.
Looking at this proposal brought everything back to me again. I think it's good that we be reminded what we all lost that day.
Here is a link to a good mermoial/flash film type thing that brings things back into prospective. You may want to view it with your children, or alone and meditate and remember the events of 9-11. It takes awhile to load if you don't have a dls/cable connection but is well worth it.
http://www.politicsandprotest.org/
Peace,
Eve

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Wow Eve, that flash file was incredible. So very, very sad.
I do like the design, but like Eve pointed out, it might be difficult to fill the new towers, esp. if they build them the same height or higher.
Peace Out~:D

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Ron, I try to watch that flash as often as my heart will allow me to.
I cry everytime. :frowning:

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
So very tough to watch, but we need more things like this to keep this massive tragedy fresh in our minds so we never forget.
It was sad for me to see so many cars here in L.A. with Lakers flags flying and almost no American Flags.
Peace out~:D

ChrisP

Agent
The music was creepy, but even creepier when i remembered that the name of that song is "Falling". Poor choice.

Larry Price

Stunt Coordinator
I hope that was a joke.

The buildings were ugly - directly from Sim City.
There are very few companies that want to be working on the top floors of any buildings right now, and I dont think thats going to change in the near or far future.

The only thing I liked about the plan was the 2833 trees planted for the lives lost.

A firm was hired for the overall design of the area - but that doesnt necesarily include the design of the specific buildings.

One good idea Ive heard bounced around is a Museum of Tolerance to be put in the area. There are 16 acres to develop , with plenty of space for non-office development.

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
They feared people might be afraid to move into another possible terrorist target.
And if they do move in, they may not be able to get worker's comp insurance. NPR had a report this morning that some insurance companies (Liberty Mutual was mentioned in the report) are refusing to offer worker's comp to companies who have a high concentration of employees in a building that's a potential terrorist target. Which sounds like crap to me -- as one person interviewed asked, what's the difference if people are hurt/killed by a terrorist attack or a fire?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Is this design even one of the legitimate ones aleady being considered? It sort of looks like Mussolini's idea of heaven. The Website, though, doesn't ring true.

I think we should rebuild on the site, and build big. It would be wonderful if the site could host the world's tallest building. Though my understanding is that there are concerns about the water table--it may no longer be possible to build big on that site. I hope not.

We must proceed forward--not so much as to invite another attack, but sort of in defiance if anything. And in honor of what New York is all about.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
The Flash presentation is OK, but you can see most of the pictures at hereisnewyork.org without the annoying musical accompaniment
I happened to like the music of Enya playing in the background of the flash that I posted. I also like the fact that I don't have to click on the pictures to make them come up as they come up in a movie type format.
However, thank you for your link as well.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>Plus no place to put AC condensers.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
That's one of the reasons I'm wondering if this is even one of the legit design proposals. There's something about this site that just doesn't ring true--and it's not just the music.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
dunno, we're not talking about home sized condensors, that place would need a pretty large cooling tower.

personally, I'm not fond of the design. IMO it would stick out like a sore thumb in the skyline, maybe that's what the designers had in mind?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I didn't read the design specs, but from the pics I saw, I really don't care for this design. It sticks out like a sore thumb from the rest of the city, it's too out of place IMO.
I read something in the news that a final design proposal must be on the desk of the port authority by December the 1st for approval. Not sure if they were talking about the buildings or a monument though. Anybody have any info on this?
Let's face it, no building is 100% safe from terrorism, but we can't let that stop us from building them and working in them. If we worried about that all the time, we would never get anything done, and every tall building in the world would be empty. Besides, do you really think that we'll let that happen again? No way. Whatever buildings eventually go their, they will be heavily watched and guarded make no mistake about that.
This thread is doing my heart good. I mean here we are discussing the rebuilding of the WTC! It shows that we're making progress from the horror of 9/11. We're moving on, and moving forward, and I think that's just great! :emoji_thumbsup:

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
That's one of the reasons I'm wondering if this is even one of the legit design proposals.
It's not even close to being one of the design proposals. That site has a link to a Miami Herald story on the design - a businessman from Bermuda came up with the idea behind it & set up the site etc. Noone from the official WTC project has had anything to do with it. None of the architects from the upcoming official proposals are involved with it.

Basically, it's a glorified vanity site.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I like the design. Big and bold. Very American!
The pyramidal top reminds me of Fifth Avenue Place in Pittsburgh.
I'm just so glad to see a design come forward for a new, bold building on the site. This design is a grand way of saying, "Take that!" :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks