What's new

World Series Baseball (XBOX) & Home Run King (GameCube). (1 Viewer)

World Series Baseball for XBOX is due out soon.(I think the release date is the 28th of May.)

And I believe Home Run King for GameCube is out.

I have both GameCube and XBOX.

Could anyone tell me the major differeces between those two baseball games ? (They both are from SEGA !!!)

I'm kinda dead-locked between those two baseball games.

Could anyone help me ??

Any comments, opinions would be appreciated.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
From what I've gathered, Home Run King is a very arcadey baseball game while WSB for the XBox is going to be like the WSB games that were on the dreamcast, more sim oriented. I guess Sega is trying to cover their basis. Personally, I'd opt for WSB over HRK but having said that I'd wait to see the reviews. Don't forget to check out All Star Baseball 2003. The XBox and PS2 versions are very good. I've not played the Gamecube version but it too is supposed to be quite good(and it's only 29.99 at EB). Anyhow, good luck with whatever game you choose.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
ASB 2003 has depth that HRK can't touch. The arcadey style of HRK was fun for a short amount of time, and I found myself coming back to ASB 2003's franchise mode.

LorenH

Auditioning
They are both made by Sega, but made by totally different divisions. Home Run King is by WOW and WSB is by Visual Concepts/Blue Shift. WSB will be the more simulation-like game and, in my opinion, will easily be the better game. As long as they have fixed what was wrong in WSB2k1 and 2k2 (which it sounds like they have), this should be the best WSB since it was out for the Saturn.

Home Run King is a straight ahead arcade version of baseball. WSB comes out on May 21st (or is released that day). So, it should be in stores just as E3 is starting.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Other than a lack of a francise mode the DC version of WSB2K2 was'nt bad

LorenH

Auditioning
Not saying WSB2k2 was bad, but I know many people that nitpick such things as no different animations for fielders depending on where they are in relation to catching the ball and throwing to a base, infield play was a bit difficult, etc. These are just some nitpicks I have picked up from other people.

StevenK

Second Unit
But there was a franchise mode for WSB2K2. In fact, I just finished a 5 year stint as GM. Ended up with Barry Bonds, Juan Gone, Palmeiro, Eric Chavez, Kevin Brown, and Pedro Martinez on my squad:)

LorenH

Auditioning
Eric, only problem is there might not be reviews until after E3 since most of the on-line reviewers will be at E3 when WSB comes out. IGN X-Box has said they are going to try to have a review out before they leave, but I'm starting to doubt that. Hil has yet to get his 2nd part of the franchise mode on the site (it was supposed to be there Monday, but there was some glitch encountered that Sega has since fixed...no idea what the glich was).

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
Best Buy recently had Home Run King for $10 so I picked it up. My thoughts? Not worth much more than $10. My complaint comes with the fielding, which is spotty at best. It is rare that the correct fielder is activated when a ball is put in play, so ground balls just zip through the shortstop's legs or drop right next to the center fielder. Very frustrating. Then, once you do get the ball, the throwing action is delayed more often than not by who-knows-what, so a single becomes a double or an easy DP becomes a fielder's choice.

I am enjoying the batting, and the computer is providing a very balanced challenge so far. That is what is bringing me back - the computer makes as many fielding errors as I do!

Pieter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks