What's new

WooHoo!!! Getting HDTV for superbowl...! (1 Viewer)

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I've been on a mission lately to upgrade my direct tv account to HDTV and in my quest, ran into some minor obstacles which led me in other directions. After finding that I will have to erect a rather high antenna to receive most OTA HD signals since I am 75+ miles away from Memphis, I began investigating alternatives.
I got away from Charter Cable a couple of years ago but quite by accident, found that they have just upgraded their equipment to supply HDTV via cable.....including the stations that I want to get out of Memphis.......Having it installed this friday.... just in time for the weekend and the superbowl.....only downside is that they do not offer the HD/SD Tivo unit in combination with the HD receiver yet......

John S

Senior HTF Member
Equipment can be expensive....

But HDTV installed / up and running just before the Superbowl... Priceless!!

JoshGivens

Stunt Coordinator
I'm upgrading to HD as well. Getting the box tomorrow. Unfortunately the FOX provider in my area doesn't broadcast HD through the cable company yet. So I'm going to a friends house to watch it on his HD (OTA) FP setup.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Are you returning it the day after? This is known in retail as "All these TVs were purchased for the Superbowl with the stores 30-day return policy and returned the day after. Now we have to resell them as open box for a huge discount".

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Yeah, I at first thought the upgrade would be expensive..... and two years ago when I first looked into it, it was............I actually upgraded my TV to HD three years ago so at least THAT was done already........I just hope all this meets my expectations.......

Actually the upgrade isn't much at all now..... Dish had a "free" deal going which included hookups for 4 sets including HDTV and dvrs.......direct was 300 for upgrading my existing service to HD. I was pleasently surprised to find that Charter was a mere 40-50 bucks to install their equipment and get me turned on! Really, it was the lack of need for an external antenna that swayed me to cable again......

Ashley Rose C

Auditioning
We just recently also received the same deal as Donny, we love it. Cant wait for that crazy football game here in New England, big huge deal for these sleepy cold mountain ppl.

What sort of t.v are you watching it on? You will be amazed at the different views you get from each t.v.

Good luck and good game watchin:P
:emoji_thumbsup:

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Ashley.....
My tv is a 55" Toshiba HD ready (rptv).... that I keep calibrated via video essentials.... It replaced the same size tv that wasn't HD..... niight and day difference..... my friends and family always tell me it is the clearest tv they've seen........ YES... we are really looking forward......

Ashley Rose C

Auditioning
Awsome:D Sounds like fun. My dad just finally broke down and bought his dream Projector so this year its big men's for us....about 8 feet by 12 feet. I still love Toshiba, always clear always easy on the eyes as well.

Hope who ever your going for wins :D

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You couln't get Fox OTA any way. Their HD transmitter is powered by a 9v batter and they're using a paperclip for an antenna on top of their studio. As far as I know there are two people in the Memphis area that can get their HD signal via antenna. Thankfully, Memphis' Fox station is Fox owned and operated. We automatically qualify for the national HD feed carried by DirecTV.

-Robert

martyTeboe

Grip
We in the San Francisco Bay Area have just gotten the good news...Comcast has added KTVU in HD, just in time for Super Bowl!

Even those of us in the non-rebuilt areas (Hayward, San Leandro, San Lorenzo) are getting this addition!!!!

I'm happy.

mt

JoshGivens

Stunt Coordinator
I upgraded to HD this week to but unfortunately the FOX provider for my area out of Nashville (WZTV) hasn't started broadcasting in HD yet so I'm out of luck with my cable service provider. I knew this going in but it still sucks.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Well, my balloon deflated pretty fast upon the arrival of the cable installer......when I mentioned I couldn't wait for the superbowl in HD.... it was then that he informed me that Charter didn't have Fox in HD........OH S+#% !!! The sales associate I bought this from had been mis-informed!!!!!!!!

Installed it anyway and watched it for a while before deciding it just isn't worth the cost at this point for the small amount of HD channels......

Discovery HD was really a sight to behold and very impressive....... now when a lot of channels look like THAT......... it'll be a keeper.......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks