What's new

Woody Allen's WHAT'S UP TIGER LILY DVD coming in July! (1 Viewer)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
The IFC version totally ommitted the first sequence where Woody explains the film's premise,and the pre-credits action sequence in Japanese.

The widescreeen version that I have recorded from TCM contains both of these scenes.

The TCM version conatians the "Mohammed" line by the black guy on the boat.

The TCM version contains the Football jokes.

The line "Do you still have to go?" (in refrence to peeing) is in the TCM version, but is changed in other versions I have seen on IFC.

Thomas Hart

Stunt Coordinator
Another alternate dialog scene is toward the beginning when a girl is chasing after a car (after being kicked out) and in one version says "Hey, you've got my vibrator!" and in the alternate version says "Hey, that's a rented car!"

I believe an issue of Video Watchdog covered all the differences between the two versions quite throughly (but I can't find which issue right now).

Personally, I think, Image SHOULD have issued a two-disc set for this film: Disc 1 containing the movie with both alternate versions on two different audio tracks and the film's trailer. Disc 2 would have the uncut original version of the Japanese spy film with original Japanese language track and that film's original trailer. *sigh*

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The Anchor Bay VHS had the audio changes (rental car and football stuff). Actually, I think the rented car joke is funnier for what it's worth.

Regards,

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Hypothesis: The former UPA company, now Classic Media, likely owns KAGI NO KAGI (KEY OF KEYS), the original film WHAT'S UP TIGER LILY is derived from. (UPA President Henry G. Saperstein is credited as a producer on TIGER LILY) Anyone who has ever dealt with UPA or Toho on their Godzilla properties knows what difficult people they are. They would likely want insane amounts of money for the Japanese version, making the dream 2-disc way too cost-prohibitive.

I'll settle for maybe just the multiple dubs. As long as it's proper 2.35 scope.

Now for another wrench in the works: I just checked my copies and found some oddities that don't quite jive with the two versions outlined above.

Version 1: Castle Hill Productions, aired on IFC approx. three years ago. Contains the opening action sequence and Allen's introduction, as well as the lines:
"Hold on, she's just getting warmed up."
"Hey, that's a rented car!"
"By the way, I was almost shot and killed just before the opening credits."

Version 2: American Intenational?, aired on IFC within last year. Omits the opening sequence and intro by Allen, still contains the lines:
"Hold on, she's just getting warmed up."
"Hey, that's a rented car!"
"By the way, I was almost shot and killed just before the opening credits." This contradicts what I posted earlier, but there it is on film. Of course this joke makes no sense without the opening scene. Some of the more sexist comments (women being pieces of meat) changed to football jokes. Neither version contains the lines about 'The Sound of Music' or a vibrator...

Could there be three versions floating around out there?

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
I remember first seeing this in a 16mm anamorphic print from our local library (never had the corrective lenses, though - bizarre experience). The print was the uncensored American International version, but for some reason had all the Lovin' Spoonful interludes taken out.

"No bullets? No bullets?? Ah, but if all of you in the audience will clap your hands three times my gun will be magically filled with bullets!"

Just a quick added note that this one's been available in R4 for quite some time. Check the usual review databases for review links; to me, it looked of pretty decent quality considering the age and status of the film, but then, I'm not an enormous fan of this particular bit of Woody Allen's career and so don't know it backwards like some here undoubtedly do :)

Brett G

Stunt Coordinator
Has it been confirmed that the original Japanese soundtrack would be included? If so, what about subtitles?

-Brett

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just got this a few days ago.

Never saw the film before, but bought it
simply because I love Woody Allen.

Yes folks, it was a gamble -- but I ended
up really enjoying this film. Some really
funny dialogue!

Best of all, not only are BOTH audio versions
available on this DVD, but there is an audio
comparison menu that lists all the scenes that
have had changes made to them. From this menu
you can quickly access that scene and compare
the dialogue differences.

Fun movie! I am glad I bought it.

Brett G

Stunt Coordinator
I went over to Best Buy at lunch to pick this up and they had not received it yet. In fact, none of their stores did. I was so bummed. This one is a classic for me.

Ron,

Did you happen to notice if the Japanese dialog is on there? Just curious since I wasn't able to buy it.

-Brett

Brett G

Stunt Coordinator
And while I'm at it, Ron, can you give me a one-word description of the image quality? I don't need a review, I just hope it's decent considering the source.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
No, the original Japanese audio track (as far
as I can see from the Special Features menu)
is not included. You can pick either the
THEATRICAL or TV audio.

There are also no subtitles.

One word on image quality? Decent.

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
I heard that they used scenes from 2 different movies on Tiger Lily and that’s why there is no Japanese track. :confused:

Brett G

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Ron!

Eric,

That's the first I've heard of that. They did film some original stuff (non-Japanese) for it, but that would be interesting if they used two different Japanese movies. I don't see how they could since the characters are pretty consistent throughout Tiger Lily. Interesting...

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
see DVD Savant's review for more details on the alternate versions. Good stuff.

Sounds like a release that could have easily been messed up or incomplete, but Image seems to have really come through.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Anybody know if the release in Canada will be different? Though it was supposed to be released yesterday, it now seems to be next week. Thanks.

Edit: Ooops, just noticed it was from Image, so it should be the same. Sorry!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks