What's new

Woody Allen's WHAT'S UP TIGER LILY DVD coming in July! (1 Viewer)

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Woody Allen's What's Up Tiger Lily is making it's DVD debut on 7/15/2003 from Image Entertainment.

here are the specs from Image's site:

MSRP: $ 19.99
Audio Format: 5.0 Dolby Digital, Mono
Screen Format: 2.35:1
16x9: Yes
Color: Color
Region Code: Region 1

cooooool.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I hope they get the soundtrack right on this one. The last Anchor Bay VHS tape of this that I bought has missing dialogue. I forget the exact explanation for that though. The old Vestron Video tape that I had of it had some funnier lines.

Neil

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Saracen dog! Spartan Pig! Russian Snake! I can finally retire my VHS recording from TCM.

I have seen these movie many times, and there are various dialogue changes I have seen. I wonder which version the DVD will use. Probably the same as TCM.

It' Wing fool you fat. I mean Wing Fat you fool.

Edit: Neil, I have both versions. There is missing dialogue and changed dialogue. Probably edits for G-Rated broadcasts.

Chris Sypal

Stunt Coordinator
It's great to see this finally released. I was starting to think that they would never be able to release this because of rights issues.

Now what would have been really cool is if they could have released the original unedited Japanese movie as well. It would be nice to see what the movie is really about.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Curiously, Woody Allen has all but disowned this film. Several years ago when Allen was in Washington addressing the issue of artists rights and protesting how films are altered through colorization, panning and scanning etc., it was brought to his attention that with What's Up Tiger Lily?, he had taken another man's work and altered it to his own purposes. Allen admitted that he had but that he would never do such a thing again and that he was wrong to do so.

A youthful indiscretion that comes back to haunt him, I'm sure.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I have never seen this in widescreen. This is a day and date purchase for me.

Regards,
------------------------------------------------------------

Phil Moskowitz, Lovable Rogue
Raspur (a non-existent but real-sounding country)

P.S. I'm not wearing any pants

This is Wing Fat's House
He lives in that little piece of paper?
No, you fool, it's a map.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
The oddest duck among Allen's movies, and one of the funniest!

I do hope it doesn't include the altered dialog--the part I'm thinking about is when they changed all the chickadee metaphors from cuts of meat to some kind of football thing. Yes, the original dialog was highly sexist, but hardly objectionable in context.* This was the villian describing his harem, after all. The football stuff just falls flat.

(*I have no idea if it was changed because of this.)

EDIT: I just remembered another change from the last time I saw this on AMC or something... it was the scene when Phil, Suki and the gang sneak aboard the boat as rat exterminators, and the solitary black guy among all the Japanese henchmen is peddling copies of "Muhammad Speaks"! This used to crack me up all to pieces, and I have no idea why it was changed (or what it was changed to). I mean, who are they trying not to offend? Louis Farrakhan?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Rich,
Do you recall which version of the harem description dialog was on the most recent release (a VHS from Anchor Bay). If not, I can check it out this evening. I have seen this movie on video probably more times than any film except This is Spinal Tap, but I get confused about different releases.

Regards,

LeeL

Stunt Coordinator
I'm getting this on street date. Definitely.

But if I see ONE THREAD where someone complains about how the dialogue is out of sync....

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I remember right in the opening scene with the topless girl dancing this line on the Vestron Video tape: "She was even better in The Sound of Music". This line has not appeared in any other version I've seen lately.

Neil

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Oh man! I remember seeing this movie for the first time in a packed repertoire theater almost twenty years ago! I've always considered that day among the best movie viewing experiences I've ever had! Most of the people were still in the theater during the closing credits which brought along even more laughs!

Woody Allen shouldn't feel too bad about what he's done here. The movie I believe was already a turkey in Japan. He couldn't have made it look any worse.

Charlie Essmeier

Stunt Coordinator
Changed dialog?

I guess I'll wait for the ultra-rare laserdisc to reappear on the used market after the DVD comes out. I'll pick up one of those.

Charlie

IFC has also broadcast two versions over the past couple years, and I taped both (fearing this would never resurface on disc). I think the original dialogue, though sexist, is far funnier and appropriate considering the era and subject matter.
This version also runs slightly longer, opening with clips of the lead character in an action/rescue sequence, with Japanese dialogue, that appears nowhere else in the film. Later, after the credits and cabaret scene, while on the spy phone to headquarters, he mentions that he "was almost killed before the opening credits." This sequence and the resulting joke are omitted from the cleaned-up version (the one with all the football jokes).

In terms of the writing, the shorter version just doesn't compare, though strangely IFC aired the long version in P&S and the weaker, short version in letterbox (at least the two showings I happened to catch).
Also missing/altered are Shepard Wong's last requests as he lays dying on the deck of the ship, "Call my rabbi" and "I want to be stuffed with crab meat." Hee, hee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks